It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intense thunderstorms flood Las Vegas area, strands motorists in waterlogged intersections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Intense thunderstorms flood Las Vegas area, strands motorists in waterlogged intersections

www.6 80news.com

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Intense thunderstorms swept through the Las Vegas area on Tuesday, flooding washes, delaying flights, snarling traffic and prompting helicopter rescues of stranded motorists in water-filled intersections, authorities said.

Staudenmaier said the rainfall amounts put the region on pace to exceed the 4.5 inches of rain it normally gets in a year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
usnews.nbcn ews.com
www.8newsnow.com
www.8newsnow.com
www.kjzz.org
edit on 12-9-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: changed thread title

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is pretty crazy. I learned about this from my sister who just got back from her Las Vegas vacation.

This surely is not normal, but then again I don't know how unusual this event is for the desert city.

Pretty sure it may have to do with global warming/climate change??

What are your thoughts ATS?

www.6 80news.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

News Video of Flooding

edit on 12-9-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It was crazy! The rain came down so hard and sideways, my patio was flooded 3 inches and it has a heavy duty screen. I never seen soo much rain in 20 years of living here.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Someone might have predicted something like this recently. I heard a lot of rumors about this guy. Some say he is almost as cool as Chuck Norris... Others say he is some crazy guy who sits around trolling on ATS all day... Either way his prediction might be coming true before our very eyes...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think he might just be some lucky SOB who made a good guess...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I was out there, happy I had a truck with some decent clearance.

It was actually worse a few weeks prior during a freak storm. I have pics of some roads becoming rivers for a bit.

There's a reason Vegas has tons of billboards about NOT driving through waterlogged intersections.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The deserts in the usa get a lot more rain then youd expect. Not much compared to normal climates though. Problem is the ground is so dry that it cant absorb rain quickly at all. So any downpour quickly causes flash flooding.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
yea- we got hit really hard yesterday- not many people were expecting it either, cause I saw a lot of people out in wife beaters and T-Shirts.
Water was pouring our of the sewer like it was a fountain at the Bellagio.
Sidewalks were covered and couldnt be seen.

We havent been hit that hard by rain in a LONG time.

I actually enjoyed it because we dont get much of it out here.

- yes- I was one of those people who didnt wear a jacket before going to work. I was soaked head to toe.
(thankfully I always carry an extra set of socks with me in my work bag)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well I have family there so thanks for the heads up. Stay safe.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
higher temps globally

more moisture in the air

more energy in the air

more intense storms

and the sun is getting ready to go into an 11 year "high" cycle

gonna be a bad trip peeps

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
The deserts in the usa get a lot more rain then youd expect. Not much compared to normal climates though. Problem is the ground is so dry that it cant absorb rain quickly at all. So any downpour quickly causes flash flooding.

yeah a years worth or rain in one storm is normal

lol

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Interesting thread and a great video, we do not hail from the desert so I really have no input but this one little thing that peed me off watching the video....

Why Why do people drive so fast as to splash other cars/trucks/motorcycles?

It is just plain rude in my opinion, hell yes you get home faster in a jacked up 4x4 and screw the little guy in a cavalier or whatever.

I am just asking here is it just me who noticed this free for all?

Back to the topic now I had no idea it could rain so hard there, I in my ignorance assumed the dry ground would just suck it right up..

Shows you what I know, not much I guess.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

This is Vegas- its a dog eat dog world out here.

Mostly the drivers from California who act like morons on the road- that and the thousands of illegals we have here.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by Iwinder

This is Vegas- its a dog eat dog world out here.

Mostly the drivers from California who act like morons on the road- that and the thousands of illegals we have here.

If that was the norm here during a blizzard everyone dies and that is no exaggeration at all, that could be why I was dismayed at the lack of respect shown to other drivers in the video.

Thanks for the information,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Normally I would be skeptical and say this is nothing special for a lot of people - poor drainage systems unable to deal with a sudden downpour etc...

However, last month, on a sunny Sunday here in the UK, we experienced our own localized flash downpour, and it really was impressive.

The clouds were the most interesting thing for me, because we could see a very low storm cloud swirling in an anti-clockwise motion and I almost expected to see a tornado come down.

Then the heavens opened and we had about 10 minutes of immensely heavy rain and hail. I love storms and weather, always have, so I pay attention to what's happening outside my window, but I have never seen anything like it.

I am not entirely sold on the global warming debate, but I have always said that believing in our responsibility for it is erring on the side of caution and we need to stop what we are doing to this planet and our environment. If it's not our fault and we act as though it is, we win by becoming more responsible and increasing the health of our environment. If it is our fault and we continue doing nothing to prevent it from becoming far worse, we potentially end our species - it's a no-brainer.

I am convinced that something is happening, and I am increasingly convinced by the concept of a cyclical system leading up to a polar shift. The magnetic poles are indeed migrating, extreme weather events certainly seem to be increasing, EQ's and eruptions seem to all be on the rise too... all of that could very well be explained by a pole shift.

The pole shift theory seems to have a lot of evidence going for it, and I would suggest that those interested in it read the work of Graham Hancock.

new topics

top topics

join