It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher sacked for grabbing abusive boy, 16, who hurled a banana milkshake over him

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
No shock. Public education in the English-speaking world has just become a government baby-sitting venue.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The human race is such a mess.

I totally agree.
Its sad that parents can't parent without being threatened with charges by their kids and equally sad that teachers can't teach and have a less stressful day without dealing with self entitled kids who have no respect for anything.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Who don't. At least not in this case....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is what you get when you have the attitude that all children are so ultra special that you can't lay any kind of hand on them, not even to defend yourself.

And one of the reasons why I hate child firsters.

I'm sorry, but that teacher should have been allowed to defend himself against that student. A person should ahve the right to defend themselves regardless of the age of the attacker.

I don't understand this coddle the kids and criminal mindset of society. It's a load of crap.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Sacked sounds way to much like being tea bagged..

Sorry for the one liner but it needed to be said.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

No it didn't need to be said.
Facebook is facebook,youtube is youtube,twitter is twitter....ats is ats.
If you have nothing to add....add nothing and go back to those sites.

On topic,if you guys were in that teachers situation,how would you react knowing what laws we have to abide by??

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reading the article, the teacher in question intervened (by telling the kid to sit down) when another teacher was already dealing with "acting up" - the other teacher may well have calmed matters without his interference. in dealing with challenging behaviour in education you dont interrupt a fellow professional's efforts to deal with a situation - it just throws a spanner in the works, especially when its simply "sit down" - a really unneccessary skill free intervention that adds nothing but a chance for the toe rag to take it as provocation.
if he was a colleague of mine i'd have had words with him afterwards about not escalating stuff i'm sorting.
it may sound harsh, and i'm keen to stress that the kid in question is more than likely a highly annoying 5h1tE, but the teacher proper let himself down, and thats from info the daily mail!
edit on 12-9-2012 by skalla because: spelling

edit on 12-9-2012 by skalla because: clarity

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
On topic,if you guys were in that teachers situation,how would you react knowing what laws we have to abide by??

I'd like to think I could have kept my cool and walked away from the situation. Then I would have had a little get-together with all the teachers that had that kid in their classes. Working together, we could have made sure that the kid would have been 40 before he graduated from high school.

I like to think long term vindictiveness. It helps keep my mind active and creative. There is nothing more satisfying then seeing someone who poed once upon a time and ask with a big smile on my face, "How is your life going?"

CX

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Such a fine line with how much a teacher should be allowed to do.

I tell my kids, if a teacher has had a go at you (obviously within reason) there's probably a very good reason for it.

In my day, a well aimed heavy wooden blackboard rubber (eraser) to the head was the norm if you were lucky. The cane was always on standby in the headmasters office......therefore i rarely got into trouble or gobbed off to the teacher.

Then again, like today with my girls. if i had had been rude to a teacher i'd have got twice as bad from my parents.

I hear stories like this all the time from my 13 and 14 year old.

CX.
edit on 12/9/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I used to coach little league.

One time I had to break up a fight between two players. I physically separated them.

I had to yell at one kid who then tried to continue attacking the other one. He just about s$$$# his pants when I raised my voice.

Later, one of the parents said that I had placed myself in legal jeopardy for actually touching the players. Other parents said that I had done the right thing and that I didn't abuse either kid.

It kind of makes you think about the society in which we live if you place yourself in legal jeopardy just for stopping a fight.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
the article states he was on cctv and that a staff member who came in part way through stated that the teacher was fuming. getting covered in milkshake in front of students is bad, but he's gotta keep his cool as a teacher.

a tribunal found that he escalated the situation and from my own experience he should not have tried to keep the student in the area of the incident, that always makes matters worse - even from the info in the daily mail which was always gonna take a scandalised slant on this i can tell that the teacher handled this badly. i feel for him, but he made a right mess of the incident by the sounds of it.

Hold on... The kid was 16...

When I was 16 I wasn't braindead. But this kid must be if he thinks throwing something at someone is equal to yelling at someone. He escalated the situation and needs to be held just as accountable as the teacher if this is the case.

He should be expelled. Or the two of them can go back and to how it was before both knowing they screwed up in some way. The mature thing to do.

Best case scenario has neither a teacher nor a student physically hurting/aggravating the other. They both messed up in my opinion.

And while we don't want teachers beating our kids at schools, we also don't want our kids taking no responsibility for their foul ups either...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

it's fine, you have a code of conduct and laws to abide by, if you dont like it you are in the wrong job, and working with kids demands high standards... from my point of view teachers need more training (and better pay) to deal with some of the orrible kids sent to school by troll parents.

anyone remember being clipped around the ear (or worse) at home when you said you got into trouble at school? plenty of "parents" dont think that way anymore.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

the kid quite possibly should be expelled, depending on past behaviour, but he never hit the teacher, just made an attempt to humilate him which the teacher unfortunately seized on. and he "only" threw the chair in a an empty canteen after being unprofessionally restrained by the teacher. i have not backed up the kids actions in my posts, but it's easy as a professional to see where the teacher made a series of mistakes that made matters worse, and that his actions showed bad practice.

and i agree, both parties should have been more mature

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen to a kid in an Islamic school if he did this to his teacher? Are the kids in Islamic based schools better behaved because of the structure?

I was fired from an after-school program for 4-5 graders for saying the word, "damn"...damn....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Abysist
Give me an fn break. These kids are there to learn. The teachers are not glorified sitiers for parents unable to teach their kids acceptal behavior in public. What other choice does the teacher have?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by twohawks
reply to post by skalla

Abysist
Give me an fn break. These kids are there to learn. The teachers are not glorified sitiers for parents unable to teach their kids acceptal behavior in public. What other choice does the teacher have?

i dont get the Abysist comment?
and you are right that teachers are not glorified sitters, but i think i have shown where this teacher messed up the situation. his choice was not to ham-fistedly intervene in a situation that was being dealt with by a fellow staff member and then continue to escalate it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
As the currently separated husband to a spouse who works for a Teacher's Union...I will say this.
If you teach, or work anywhere within the school system...JOIN THE UNION! it might be a small price to pay, but consider it "Employment Insurance" I could tell you all stories about teachers, pupils, cafeteria workers, etc. that would make your spin!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
I wonder what would happen to a kid in an Islamic school if he did this to his teacher? Are the kids in Islamic based schools better behaved because of the structure?

I was fired from an after-school program for 4-5 graders for saying the word, "damn"...damn....

Were you a member of the union or offered membership?
Public or Private School?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
Let that be a lesson to all teachers out there. If you're going to lose your job anyway, make it worth your while. Knock the kid into next week.

I'm glad I rechecked this thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by boncho

the kid quite possibly should be expelled, depending on past behaviour, but he never hit the teacher, just made an attempt to humilate him which the teacher unfortunately seized on. and he "only" threw the chair in a an empty canteen after being unprofessionally restrained by the teacher. i have not backed up the kids actions in my posts, but it's easy as a professional to see where the teacher made a series of mistakes that made matters worse, and that his actions showed bad practice.

and i agree, both parties should have been more mature

Throw a milkshake at someone and it's equal to spitting on someone, which both can be prosecuted as assault (criminally). I was under the impression from the article that the milkshake, (or some of it, hit the teacher), correct me if I'm wrong...

Robert Cox held the 16-year-old boy's arms and pinned him to his chair after being soaked by the drink....

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: added quote

I was a pain in the ass when I was a kid, I admit, but as I said I wasn't brain dead and I knew well not to ever physically assault a teacher. (Mind you, some I probably thought about it) In any case It doesn't end well...

Or at least it didn't back then...
edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join