It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon-stricken North Korea rebuffs aid offer from South

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Typhoon-stricken North Korea rebuffs aid offer from South

edition.cnn.com

(CNN) -- North Korea on Wednesday refused aid from the South Korean government, reversing its previous decision.

The impoverished nation was plagued by powerful Tropical Storm Bolaven in August, which killed at least 48 people and left tens of thousands homeless.

South Korea offered aid to North Korea last week. The North initially agreed but requested a list of aid items.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

"North Korea replied saying that they don't need such aid," according to a news release from the ministry.

"We were hoping the aid would be able to help North Korean people. We are very regretful to hear about their rejection," it added.

The above quote is from the article in this thread, but the following quote is from the first article that appeared on the issue, where NK accepted the aid.

Last year, Seoul offered Pyongyang aid in the form of instant noodles and biscuits, but the offer was rejected after the North called for rice and cement, according to Yonhap News Agency.

I wonder if the refusal of noodles and biscuits isn't related to something like the excuse of SK sending "capitalism propaganda" to NK population...

It wouldn't be the first time. From my understanding, it has something to do with NK population tasting freedom.

The NK choice of support is specially weird, considering they asked for rice - which is fine - and cement.

Why does NK have a lack of cement, and why do they need it as aid after a hurricane?

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

Why would they need cement? Oh I don't know, maybe to rebuild homes for the thousands of now homeless people?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

They are waiting for their "Great Leader" to expel all manner of manna from his backside, I mean heaven...............

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Nice. I bet the ones making this decision are not doing so bad, seeing as they take from the top of each bowl of cream. Kind of like, "No, my kid doesn't need to go to the doctor....he's fine" from a parent who has no empathy for their childs suffering.

But, to play some devils advocate here....one thing that is always known is that when a western nation comes with an olive branch extended, it usually has some poison ivy wrapped around it. I cannot blame any non reserve (free) nation for being cautious when dealing with "greeks bearing gifts".

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Rice for the aristocrats tables and cement for the starving workers to build more walls and bunkers.

Thats why they refused.
The leaders dont like noodles and they cant build fortifications out of biscuits

edit on 12-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Consider that likely many NK residents may have never seen or eaten an instant noodle. If reports are to be believed they don't get much in the way of "convenience foods" there. Rice is probably one of the few things they do get and have.

They (the NK leaders) would likely be afraid the instant noodles would basically show people what they are missing and that it was something that other countries are willing to give away.

Rice and cement would be easy enough to re-label as coming from NK.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

Why would they need cement? Oh I don't know, maybe to rebuild homes for the thousands of now homeless people?

Although you enjoy using sarcasm, I find it rather misplaced considering what you just said.

Cement is one of the easiest compounds to make, especially if you are talking in a scale of national necessity. We are not talking about concrete, or advanced concrete. Those usually have minerals, rocks and other substances that allow our engineers to build the most massive and amazing buildings.

Cement is common, cheap and very low-tech. It's in use in humanity for centuries if not millenniums.

Why request cement when there are so many other things that the West - through South Korea - could have supplied them?

Isn't medical aid, food and other basic necessities, higher in any sane person's priority list?
edit on 12-9-2012 by GarrusVasNormandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

They are waiting for their "Great Leader" to expel all manner of manna from his backside, I mean heaven...............

So... Maybe we should be sending them chairs, so they don't exhaust their legs waiting for that?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

But, to play some devils advocate here....one thing that is always known is that when a western nation comes with an olive branch extended, it usually has some poison ivy wrapped around it. I cannot blame any non reserve (free) nation for being cautious when dealing with "greeks bearing gifts".

You do make a good point there, and anyone with a vague knowledge of North Korea understands they are unusually paranoid.

Even with that paranoia ramping up, it's very well plausible that NK thinks the West will try to infiltrate something, or someone, inside their borders disguised as humanitarian aid. With the current technology level of most Western military forces, it wouldn't surprise me that a small box inside one of those trucks could be carrying some sort of intelligence device.

However, I do find that reality very depressing, considering that we are talking about sending basic aid to a country that even without any catastrophes is, quite simply, in the dark ages.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Those poor people are going to be in for one hell of shock when they can finally see what the rest of the world is like. They will be like time travelers from the past. Its to bad they can not get the aid they need but, we all know the military gets what it needs to keep it loyal.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

They (the NK leaders) would likely be afraid the instant noodles would basically show people what they are missing and that it was something that other countries are willing to give away.

Rice and cement would be easy enough to re-label as coming from NK.

Yes, that was what I stated, however, you do say something I haven't considered:

NK government labeling foreign aid as being sent by "The Great Leader". Do you know of any reports about that? I mean, has it happened before? I'm not aware, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'll try to find it on my own, but if you know of anything, please provide me with some links, they would be appreciated.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
North Korea doesn't want food aid? Good. More food for the rest of us.

I have serious doubts that any accepted food aid would make to the actual citizens in most need anyway. In my opinion the vast majority of food aid would go to their armed forces and those living in the capital cities; the millions living in the isolated rural areas would have to continue digging up tree roots and eating insects for sustenance.

Offering aid is a kind and noble gesture, but NK always either throws the offers back into SK faces or pretends to accept terms on receiving the aid only to feign an injustice before the last moment to kill the deal. I personally wouldn't even waste my time offering them aid unless they asked for it.

top topics

join