It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Mammoths?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Mammoths to be cloned with new DNA found.

My question is why mammoths? Why not bring something back that was recently extinct? Why not the dodo or the thylocaine? Is it because the only thing that exists has been destroyed by formaldehyde? Just curious as to people's thoughts on all this.

And secondly, of recently extinct animals (by human hands) --- what do you think should be brought back?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by powerdrone

Scientists have discovered well-preserved frozen woolly mammoth fragments deep in Siberia that may contain living cells

From source

Theres your answer right there. THey found a really good sample that may contain still living cells. I am not claiming to know much about the cloning process, but i think having quality material to work with has a drastic effect on the success of the cloning process.

Mammoths may be able to best aclimatize out of all the possible candidate species maybe?
edit on 12-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Don't start thinking sensible now, that's not allowed in this reality.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
yar, no doubt due in part to having so many excellently preserved remains. that and many prehistoric human cultures' survival was so closely tied to them when it all went brrrrrrr

they'd get my vote to bring back too, it would be hilarious to watch them roam the cities and motorways of europe and i wouldnt mind getting my hands on some of their tusks and bones to work, ones recovered from bogs and tundra are not cheap.
edit on 12-9-2012 by skalla because: and my vote goes to....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I guess I'm just wondering if we can get clone viable DNA out of museum pieces and such? And should we start cloning animals on the verge of extinction, or at least getting preservable DNA for future generations?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

That way they can figure out if they can clone dinosaurs. If this works, guess what our new K9 unit is going to be...you guessed it. Welcome back, King of Dinosaurs. And while you're here, how about some Muslims or Arabs or Libyans or Syrians or Iraqis for you to lunch on?

No radioactive fall out, and we have the technology to control animals a lot easier than radioactive waste. Not to mention the cashola that'll be brought in from billionaires wanting to give their kids a special treat for their birthday...who doesn't dream of going to the zoo and meeting a brontosaurus, eyeball to eyeball?
edit on 12-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This exact thread was already posted earlier.. You were even a part of it.. Maybe you could move your opinions to their threads just out of respect.. Just a thought..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

Maybe you could post a link? I don't remember the topic of discussion being whether or not efforts should be focused on recently extinct animals instead of mammoths however.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I will try! I am still not too good at posting links or photos to threads! But if it is alright with the mods I am not going to stop your discussion, so debate on! I thought you posted, something among "do we really want these roaming around again, I dont" but I don't see it in your recent threads and could just be a case of mistaken similar avatar!
my fault!
Honestly, I have always wondered which prehistoric animals we choose to attempt and bring back and everything from how and where and what kind of environments we would keep them in! I feel any sort of species would be amazing to bring back to life, of course until they start a type of Jurassic park scenario! Ha

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

In the case of the dodo and the thylocaine, I'm fairly certain you are correct in that any remaining DNA is not viable due preservation methods.

Formaldehyde might preserve something's appearance in a jar, but, it's no good for DNA.

We thus need other preserved copies.

Learning the hard way, we are indeed preserving DNA samples of threatened and endangered animals for the very purpose of bringing them back, perhaps, sometime in the future.

I think it'd be interesting were we to find viable Neanderthal DNA to bring back this group of hominids that likely died out due competition along side us.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join