It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Banning Vicodin and Percocet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

If theyre banning vicodin and percocet its probably good tht acitominophine is extremely bad on your liver and in ever vicodin the dosage veries from 500mgs-750-1000mgs which all can truly damage u 4 life so all you people who take tylenol and ibuprofen & advil beware!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hope4peace

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Reply to post by Hope4peace

no not good xanax is a life saver for me as i get sever anxiety. i would have a hard time doing alotta things with out it. i dont abuse it and never will.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Your'e lucky that it works for you. I have seen xanax ruin many lives including my brothers life. Some people that come off of heroine take xanax and vicadin together claiming that it gives them a similiar high to heroine.
Most doctors will even admit how dangerous xanax and vicadin are.

Xanax didn't ruin your brothers life-your brother did that to himself. Please don't misunderstand me, but it's time that people who take prescription drugs [and their friends & family] stop blaming the pill for something that the individual has lost control over. It's not as though the Xanax [or other types] of medications are jumping up with a will all their own, and ending in the persons blood system. Personal responsibility is the simple, honest, and only answer to this conundrum.

A lot of misinformation in this thread. The FDA is minimizing the acetomeophin in opiates to that of 325mg per pill [Rx], as opposed to 500/650/750/etc., because of the effects APAP has on the liver, this is especially important in patients who take pain medication/s for chronic pain and/or on a daily basis. I think this has already passed and will show up on your prescription bottle as soon as the pharmacy you go to runs out of the old stock. It seems that they are permitted to use up old stock.. obviously they can't do this if your Rx is written for /325.

Despite years of educational campaigns and other federal actions, acetaminophen remains the leading cause of liver failure in the U.S., sending 56,000 people to the emergency room annually, according to the FDA.
Some experts complained the measure would create unnecessary work for doctors and patients.

"I think the drain on the health care system, which is already strained, would be enormous," said Dr. Robert Kerns of Yale University.

Acetaminophen is the generic name of a drug found in many over-the-counter and prescription pain killers, including Tylenol, Vicodin and Percocet. The drug may be abbreviated as APAP on prescription medicines.

"This drug is generally considered safe when used according to the directions on its labeling. But taking more than the recommended amount can cause liver damage, ranging from abnormalities in liver function blood tests, to acute liver failure, and even death," according to an FDA statement.

The FDA is not required to follow the panel's recommendations, but it usually does.

Source

Personally, I think lowering the APAP in RX's is a good idea, and people who want more can always buy a bottle of tylenol at any store as an adjunct to the pain medication prescribed to them.
edit on 13-9-2012 by RobinB022 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

I applaud your honesty here. It's a shame the stigma attached in these situations and I honestly wish your pain will be resolved. Soon.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am 73 years old and have many pain issues. The worst is the two lowest discs in my back that are bulging. I also have a problem with low back muscle spasms as a result of a serious automobile accident in my early twenties. I was rear ended at a traffic light and hit so hard that my cap with pull down ear flaps and my glasses ended up in the rear window ledge of the 1963 Chevrolet Impala I was driving.

As a result I am now dependent on the generic form of Vicodin, Lortab, for pain relief. The only other option for me is morphine sulfate. But the morphine does not work at all for me so its Lortab or nothing.

I have no problem with the removal of the secondary ingredient as it does not seem to make any difference whether it is 500mg or 1000mg. It is the hydrocodone that does it for me. At present I take 10mg/500mg Lortabs 3 times a day just to be able to function. I supplement this as needed with the muscle relaxer Robaxin.

So if what I am getting from this thread is that they are just going to cut the acetaminophen out of the mix. That is OK by me since I would be taking hydrocodone without it anyway if I could.
edit on 13-9-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hope4peace
reply to post by antar

Good!!! They need to add xanax to that ban list!

Why would you say that? If you understood what it was for you would not say such things. My father who is a lung cancer survivor with COPD can hardly breath after having his lung removed. When he cant breath the xanax helps take away a term called "air hunger" look it up......

Same goes for vicodin and percocet. They are needed. Some people cannot handle some drugs due to allergies for example. If it wasnt for my percocet after my knee surgery, I dont think I could have handled the pain and I am allergic to many other meds for pain.....

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Hi Sugarcookie. Your doctor might also consider this if the total ban does not happen:

There's hydrocodone medication with much lower amounts of Tylenol in them than is contained in Vicodin, which has 500 mgs. of Tylenol. My hubby takes Norco -- it's 10 milligrams of hydrocodone with only 325 mgs. of Tylenol. Just a thought.

I know that Vicodin is usually prescribed for breakthrough pain when you're on the patch. But, the Norco does a pretty good job, too.

As far as I know, you can't get hydrocodone without Tylenol in it, here in the USA, but you can if you live in Canada. Just a thought for those in pain in the US. I'm sure it'll all work out though.

edit on 13-9-2012 by imalitehaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

Thanks for the clarification. All I know about these drugs is what I have been exposed to while hanging out with people who seek out these types of drugs. Mostly from people with serious health problems who get unlimited bottles of the stuff on a weekly/monthly bases. They then turn around and sell them to people like my old friends for money. By all means if you have the health problems then seek out this kinda help.

As for me though I am trying my best to stay active and eat semi healthy. It seems to working out rather well in my case. The unhealthy ones I tend to see are generally inactive, eat unhealthy foods, and drink nothing but soda. I for one would never go to the hospital again, unless I'm seriously dieing like lose/break a limb. The last time I went to the doctor was for chest pains and I would have crazy symptoms after eating certain foods. (rapid heart beat/feeling like my skin was on fire/and the inability to go number two for weeks sometimes.

The doctor said I was having anxiety... Then tried to get me on two different pills. I told him I did not want the pills I wanted help cause my current situation it felt like I was dieing. He told me he couldn't do anything else for me so I left. I later picked up some laxatives and finally had a bowel movement. After that I figured out a lot of people in my family were suffering from celiac disease. (allergy to gluten) So I stopped eating all things containing gluten and started a half raw/cooked diet with zero gluten.

Not even a week had passed and I hadn't had any of the prior symptoms. Not to mention I was having bowel movements regularly again. I still to this day haven't had any symptoms and I feel good most of the time.

I probably would of died had I not found out about gluten allergy. As for the doctors advice... load me up on anti anxiety pills. I just can't believe that is the only option he had for me. I for one will never seek help from a doctor again.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Deezi because: (no reason given)

Just for sake of the thread and other comments. I have extreme pain in my feet/knees/lower back from skateboarding for 10+years. Not to mention I get really nasty painful bruises on my wrists/elbows/ribs from falling hard. You won't see me taking any pills though my best friend is ice. Yes ICE I am a firm believer in using ice to alleviate my pain. Yes I do wake up every morning stiffer than rocks and whole body hurts. Stretching and activity always alleviates this pain.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Deezi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kushness

Reply to post by Hope4peace

no not good xanax is a life saver for me as i get sever anxiety. i would have a hard time doing alotta things with out it. i dont abuse it and never will.

A much safer and less expensive alternative is herbal tea believe it or not. Try passion flower or lemon balm instead:

"In initial trials for treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, maypop extract performed as well as oxazepam but with fewer short-term side effects."

en.wikipedia.org...

thanks for the info, i will definitely give the tea a try, as it is a much safer alternative. i use tea to help with sleep so why not for anxiety. besides i love tea.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This is actually good.

It is taking the Tylenol out of the mix

its the acetaminophen killing folks

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
I am 73 years old and have many pain issues. The worst is the two lowest discs in my back that are bulging. I also have a problem with low back muscle spasms as a result of a serious automobile accident in my early twenties. I was rear ended at a traffic light and hit so hard that my cap with pull down ear flaps and my glasses ended up in the rear window ledge of the 1963 Chevrolet Impala I was driving.

As a result I am now dependent on the generic form of Vicodin, Lortab, for pain relief. The only other option for me is morphine sulfate. But the morphine does not work at all for me so its Lortab or nothing.

I have no problem with the removal of the secondary ingredient as it does not seem to make any difference whether it is 500mg or 1000mg. It is the hydrocodone that does it for me. At present I take 10mg/500mg Lortabs 3 times a day just to be able to function. I supplement this as needed with the muscle relaxer Robaxin.

So if what I am getting from this thread is that they are just going to cut the acetaminophen out of the mix. That is OK by me since I would be taking hydrocodone without it anyway if I could.
edit on 13-9-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

If you really want to take out the killer drug Tylenol
COLD WATER EXTRACTION
www.bluelight.ru...(r)

Here is the simplest CWE I can think of. It is easy and it takes less than 1 minute:

All you need is: 2 glasses (or anything that can hold water); Tissue paper; Spoon (or your finger, anything to stir with); Water.

STEP 1. Put pills in the first container. Pour enough COLD water to completely submerge pills (from the sink, no need to cool it in fridge). No need for excessive water. Stir untill all pills are completely dissolved.

STEP 2. Take 2 pieces of tissue on top of each other, hold them on top of the second container like a filter; gently pour contents of container 1 through filter into container 2.

THAT'S IT! drink the water, discard the stuff caught in the filter.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Reply to post by popcornmafia

i dont think it was a good idea to post that, you may get into some heat and get this thread shut down.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Reply to post by popcornmafia

i dont think it was a good idea to post that, you may get into some heat and get this thread shut down.

Understand how many lives that extraction saves a year>?

Didnt think so

It is the exact thing the article is talking about removing the liver toxin acetaminophen
edit on 13-9-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by imalitehaus
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Hi Sugarcookie. Your doctor might also consider this if the total ban does not happen:

There's hydrocodone medication with much lower amounts of Tylenol in them than is contained in Vicodin, which has 500 mgs. of Tylenol. My hubby takes Norco -- it's 10 milligrams of hydrocodone with only 325 mgs. of Tylenol. Just a thought.

I know that Vicodin is usually prescribed for breakthrough pain when you're on the patch. But, the Norco does a pretty good job, too.

As far as I know, you can't get hydrocodone without Tylenol in it, here in the USA, but you can if you live in Canada. Just a thought for those in pain in the US. I'm sure it'll all work out though.

Yes you can. I had a serious back problem earlier this year but was well aware of the danger acetaminophen can cause in relation to the liver. Thankfully, so did my doctor and prescribed me vicoprofen instead.

When he gave me the script I asked what it was, and without me saying anything regarding acetaminophen, he told me it's a combination of vicodin and ibprofen, and that is what he personally prefers to prescribe as he's had other patients who've been admitted to emergency rooms due to acetaminophen while strictly following the dosage instructions.

The FDA rarely gets it's right, but here they do. Acetaminophen was put into painkillers to deter abusers from abusing the opiates. The problem is abusers just extract the acetaminophen from the painkillers and still get their buzz anyway, kids will abuse painkillers not knowing about the dangers of acetaminophen and end up in the hospital more often because of liver failure due to the acetaminophen, rather than the actual opiates themselves, or people who have zero intention to abuse painkillers suffer liver damage due to the acetaminophen.

Basically, acetaminophen was meant to deter abusers from abusing, but ended up hurting the average patient needing it for pain instead. Kind of ironic acetaminophen was put in the painkillers to deter abuse of opiates, yet it's the acetaminophen itself rather than the opiates which is sending more people to the hospital.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have a good idea, lets all grow our own poppies, and make our own medicinals. It worked for thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Yes, you're right! I had completely forgotten about the medicine with Advil in it rather than Tylenol. But, I'm still not so sure about getting just plain old hydrocodone without anything added to it at all.

I do know veterinarians give straight hydrocodone to cats because felines can't have ANY Tylenol -- it's poisonous to them.

But, that's the vet so... ? I don't know. Wish they would help people out with that, too.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by DocHolidaze

They are talking about banning the combination drugs, which means the manufacturers would simply have to take the tylenol out of their formulations. (From what I gather over the weak reporting...)

www.healthcentral.com...

www.furiousseasons.com...
edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

And they need to take the Tylenol out. Tylenol is a liver killer. Taking too much acetaminophen is the most common cause of acute liver failure in the United States.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by misskat1

Maybe everybody should stay away from opiates unless they are taking them under the supervision of an ETHICAL doctor who excercises the utmost caution when they prescribe such things.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by imalitehaus

Motrin or ibuprofen is deadly to dogs too. It is all just so toxic, perhaps this will be a good thing but I wonder if the meds will still work as well without it? Will it take more to do the job?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
To all those that say the prescription drug addicts need to take personal responsibility because they are "doing it to themselves" to some degree you are correct. Everybody, including drug addicts, have the power to make good or bad choices in their lives.

However, addiction is a powerful force that can take away people's abilities to make good choices and avoid bad choices. People are unwittingly getting addicted to prescription opiates because they are not making fully informed choices and their doctors are not fully informing them of the risks.

I personally feel that if I ever tried heroin, I would probably become a junkie. That is why I will never do heroin because I feel I may loose the ability to make good choices. I feel the same way about vicodin and other opiate. However, there are a lot of people who choose to take vicodin every day that have no idea they are being lead down the path of addiction.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by imalitehaus

Motrin or ibuprofen is deadly to dogs too. It is all just so toxic, perhaps this will be a good thing but I wonder if the meds will still work as well without it? Will it take more to do the job?

Yes, I sure can believe it's deadly to dogs, too.

As to your question about these "mixed" medicines working without the added Tylenol or Advil, I don't know. But I've heard Vicodin won't work on a human without the Tylenol in it. Even if it's just a little, it's supposed to make the hydrocodone work.

However, I think that piece of advice may have come from the drug company, so it may not be true at all! Wish I could remember where I heard / read it, but it was a long time ago. Hopefully, whatever they do will benefit all of us, instead of the opposite (as it seems to have been with the Tylenol).

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join