It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Banning Vicodin and Percocet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

The FDA was making a decision to protect consumers

………………….. FORMER FDA REVIEWER SPEAKS OUT ABOUT INTIMIDATION, RETALIATION AND MARGINALIZING OF SAFETY By Martha Rosenberg Truthout July 29, 2012 Original Link The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is often accused of serving industry at the expense of consumers.

But even FDA defenders are shocked by reports this week of an institutionalized FDA spying program on its own scientists, lawmakers, reporters and academics that included an enemies list of “actors” and collaborators.

The paranoid and retaliatory email monitoring program, which sought to suppress the safety opinions of those hired to give their safety opinions, has provoked swift action from Capitol Hill.

“I am writing to express my disappointment and disbelief with the way the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has retaliated against whistleblowers who expressed concern to Members of Congress and the Office of Special Counsel (OSC) regarding safety concerns about medical products,” wrote Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), ranking member on the Judiciary Committee, to FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg, the day after the breadth of the surveillance was reported in The New York Times.

nhne-pulse.org...

And as far as the FDA empowering Doctors to make choices for their patients... really now that is just not realistic is it?

edit on 12-9-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by Hope4peace

oh yes i totally agree mixing xanax and painkillers is not a good idea at all, i dont mix or take my xanax for fun, i take it cuz it works and i only take it as directed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by Hope4peace

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Reply to post by Hope4peace

no not good xanax is a life saver for me as i get sever anxiety. i would have a hard time doing alotta things with out it. i dont abuse it and never will.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Your'e lucky that it works for you. I have seen xanax ruin many lives including my brothers life. Some people that come off of heroine take xanax and vicadin together claiming that it gives them a similiar high to heroine.
Most doctors will even admit how dangerous xanax and vicadin are.

yes and automobiles, hospitals and alcohol ruin far more but we still have them. point is just because some people can't deal with it shouldn't be a reason to take it away from everyone.

I kind of agree with your reply but then I think about the young kids who don't have good judgement yet and here dentists hand out vicadin to a 14 year old after getting a tooth pulled and BAM! He loves the feeling it gave him and there it begins...a snowball spiral to addiction.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
From the article in the OP:

The FDA is not required to take the recommendation of the advisory panel, although they usually do. Since the vote to ban Vicodin and Percocet-type drugs was so close, perhaps they will give it some extra consideration.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hope4peace

Wait til you have a serious surgery, injury or dental problem and you'll be begging for them. And xanax helps a LOT of people, myself included. What a ridiculous comment.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

cutting our hands off the save the children won't work either. there will always be some who don't make it in a world of 7 billion people, it's the way of nature. i have been living with debilitating pain for many years now and sometimes i have to take pain medicine to function and move around and i'm not out robbing people for a fix or letting my life go to hell because i can't put down the meds. you see if kids or adults can't handle it, deal with them on an individual basis and quit trying to ruin everyone else's life to suit theirs.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
antar

I'm prescribed 100 Vicodin a month and i talked to my doctor about the banning of the medication a few months back he told me all they will do is lower the amount of tylenol per pill or take the tylenol out all together but they wont be banning vicodin from the market..

Ive been on vicodin and the fentanyl patch for 8 years and have had no problems with acetaminophen and liver problems..

Every drug has side effects no matter what you take without these drugs i would be probably be bedridden with very little limited quality of life..

What they need to do is educate the public about the dangers of acetaminophen ..

But i will say this again they are not going to take Vicodin off the market i trust what my doctor told me 100 % he knows what kind of pain i go through each day..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7

Wait til you have a serious surgery, injury or dental problem and you'll be begging for them. And xanax helps a LOT of people, myself included. What a ridiculous comment.

Oh you have no clue who you are saying that to lol....been there, done that. Vicadin does not work for me...never has. Motrin 800 mg. works best for me. As for xanax....I have anxiety disorder and Lexapro works for me. I was given xanax before...didn't like it. My point is...there are other drugs out there that are helpful and are not addictive like these drugs we are talking about.

So you think it is okay for a dentist to prescribe a 14 yr. old vicadin?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Those really aren't killers. Opiates are quite safe when taken in prescribed doses for a short period of time. The problem is the consumer.
edit on 12-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Hydrocodone is often compounded with other generally less effective non-opioid compounds such as paracetamol (also known as acetaminophen) or ibuprofen, both often added to discourage recreational use[citation needed] (as paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver toxicity at high doses), and to provide a possible synergy of analgesic effects between hydrocodone and the non-opioid compounds present

source

Find it odd that a dangerous drug is added to a highly addictive drug to protect people from themselves

Hopefully they can come up with a plan to remove the acetaminophen and let people still get their pain relief. Also how ironic is it that the most dangerous part of the medicine can be purchased over the counter? god i love this place.

As with any drug there will be those that abuse it, doesn't mean everyone else should suffer.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

cutting our hands off the save the children won't work either. there will always be some who don't make it in a world of 7 billion people, it's the way of nature. i have been living with debilitating pain for many years now and sometimes i have to take pain medicine to function and move around and i'm not out robbing people for a fix or letting my life go to hell because i can't put down the meds. you see if kids or adults can't handle it, deal with them on an individual basis and quit trying to ruin everyone else's life to suit theirs.

I understand what you are saying and I understand your frustration with some bad people ruining things for everyone else. I remember when xenedrine diet pills contained ma haung (sp?) aka ephedrine. Those pills worked so good....gave me good energy and I lost 30 lbs. in one month....but then they had to ban that ingredient because stupid teens were abusing it. That ticked me off at the time but now that I'm older I look at it as not such a big deal. There are other ways to lose weight and I'm sure it saved the lives of some young folks so it was worth it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is great news. Both are highly addictive.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Thanks Sugarcookie, I sure hope not but from all of the reports and hyped up publicity the criminal element has supposedly played into the pain killers darker and illicit side, I would not doubt they change the drugs or even eliminate them all together. Good to know that they work for you too. Hey my Granpa was recently put on litocain patches and they too are working for his RH in the shoulder. I do get him tested every 3 months for his levels on everything as he is on alot of meds besides the pain killers, well not killers but controllers.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

That is my same point, well said imo.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

The really idiotic thing about all this is that it was the FDA that originally demanded that Tylenol be put in Vicodin BECAUSE you CAN overdose on Tylenol you CANNOT overdose on opiates. I'm on my cell I can't throw up a link ATM but if you look into it you can find it very easily. The reasoning was if there was a risk of toxicity by including the Tylenol then users would be less likely to abuse the drug. EPIC FAIL.

And don't reply to this saying I'm wrong about overdosing. YES opiates can lead to death but not through toxicity or poisoning... Opiates can relax the CNS to the point of not breathing but that is entirely different if you look up the exact terminology. Splitting hairs perhaps but IMO just a gross spread of misinformation for the masses to tack onto their wavy banners.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Unfortunately, many opiate users are not short term users. Vicodin and other opiates are not that much different from heroin. These drugs kill more people and ruin more lives than "street" drugs like marijuanna.

Of course Vicodin is completely safe because you can get it at Walmart, and Marijuanna will turn you into a deranged psychopath because it is grown in the basement of some guy named Vinny. I know this from DARE and from watching the informative film Reefer Madness.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

This thread isn't about the FDA and everything they do in every aspect of their responsibilities. It is about a specific example of them discussing actions which should be received in a positive way as it would protect consumers and destroy a pharma-monopoly that is causing liver failure among the general populace.

I don't see why you are trying to go off topic.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
From the article in the OP:

The FDA is not required to take the recommendation of the advisory panel, although they usually do. Since the vote to ban Vicodin and Percocet-type drugs was so close, perhaps they will give it some extra consideration.

The OP article is trash. I think I highlighted that in my first few posts...
edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Would reformulating these drugs require another patent? Thereby eliminating generic competition?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Opiates are safe, people are just weak.

PS
You don't gotta tell me mate, I live in Arizona.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join