It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Banning Vicodin and Percocet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Ok so here we go again attempting to make lives more miserable under the guise of protecting people from their own decisions about their bodies. In the article it states that Tylenol is a leading cause of liver damage/deaths in the US.

So why not make tylenol illegal and leave the 'mix' alone? Personally I believe that the real reason tylenol holds the championship is because it works well to alleviate pain and fever. Both Vicodin and Percocet have tylenol as an active ingredient and if more people would be allowed to use these they may not have to over do it on the regular tylenol.

This is disgusting and a very bad move on the part of the FDA panel. This will cause more death by tylenol then if they just leave things as they are.

The advisory panel recommended banning hydrocodone and oxycodone products (like Vicodin and Percocet) that contain acetaminophen. Vicodin and its generic counterparts contain hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Percocet and its generic formulations contain oxycodone and acetaminophen.

The FDA panel has recommended lowering the maximum recommended dose of acetaminophen from 1,000 mg per dose to 650 mg. They also recommended lowering the maximum daily dose, which is currently 4 grams (4,000 mg). Although they didn't specify what the maximum daily dose should be lowered to, it would most likely be in the neighborhood of 2,600 mg per day.

People do not take tylenol to excess because they are rebels against medicine labels, they overdose because of PAIN, something which could have been avoided by a stronger pain med. I see this as just another witch hunt against the evils of pain medication which very much has its place in the world. There is no reason for people to suffer if a pill can help their quality of life.

www.healthcentral.com...[editby ]edit on 12-9-2012 by antar because: Link

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Good!!! They need to add xanax to that ban list!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
You haven't sourced your material but it looks as though they are simply lowering the amount of Tylenol that can be in these combinations drugs...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hope4peace

Vicodin and percs are the weaker versions of the real killers Oxycontin/oxycodion, if they ban the weak ones that means the stronger ones are going to be prescribed more and taken more frequently. I think banning the weaker pills will only bring more death and addiction.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
my thoughts : It's getting attention because the abuse/addition of drugs like this are largely prevalent within the 1%. If it was poor people who were affected most, it wouldn't be an issue (see Tobacco, Alcohol)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

They are talking about banning the combination drugs, which means the manufacturers would simply have to take the tylenol out of their formulations. (From what I gather over the weak reporting...)

www.healthcentral.com...

www.furiousseasons.com...
edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thank you, added it. I personally see the benefits of pain medication every day with my 97 yro grandpa.

It does not change him in any way except that he is able to get around and suffers much less.

I am all for people making their own choices based on what is right for themselves and not what the gov thinks based on the wrong doers verses the responsible people who should count as well.

As we see our rights and freedoms infringed upon these dastardly acts will work for the bad guys instead of the good guys as in my Grandpas case. He should not have to suffer because of those who take advantage and make bad choices for themselves.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Great take away the only med that actually works for me, can hardly wait. Seriously after several years of battling pain, trying all sorts of remedies including surgery, the only relief I found was when my doc prescribed oxy . Well maybe this next surgery in a few months will do the trick. I sure hope if they ban it they will at least wean us off it first, instead of cold turkey ban......

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

It doesn't look like they are impeding your freedom here. The fact that Tylenol has been formulated with other drugs that are effective by themselves is quite worrying. Essentially Tylenol (MFG CO) et al, have had a complete monopoly with analgesics as their drug has been inserted in combination to many others and in turn has cause a large amount of liver failure in the population.

The doctor should be able to prescribe both individually.

I think that is what's being addressed here.

edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Reply to post by Hope4peace

no not good xanax is a life saver for me as i get sever anxiety. i would have a hard time doing alotta things with out it. i dont abuse it and never will.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
eh, it's an ethical quandary of sorts.

people obviously (in general) have no clue what's good for them or not.

we got more fools hooked on these legal drugs than all the illegal ones combined!

not sure about where you are, but here you just need look to the back of the newspaper to see quack doctors guarantying all sorts of goodies if you just pay the price of an appointment every so often.

so what to do, then? some people benefit, but overall there seems to be more mess in it.

if you ban these drugs, they'll just go underground.

i say let the idiots kill their selves if they want.

less morons, and more goodies for the people who know how to regulate their addictions.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here is the story from March from a legal expert(?), anyways, as I suspected the FDA was only talking about combination drugs which would simply make the manufacturers of vicodin, etc, produce something without the harmful levels of Acetaminophen added in:

Members of an adisory committee to federal Food and Drug Administration did recommend in 2009 that all products that combine hydrocodone, oxycodone, propoxyphene with acetaminophen be withdrawn from the market. The group also requested that the maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen be lowered from 1,000 mg to 650 mg.

In other words, the rest of them on these blogs are crying fire and there isn't even smoke.

The FDA was making a decision to protect consumers and also giving more power to doctors to choose what their patients take.

norfolk.legalexaminer.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Good, they need to reduce the APAP in pain killers because millions of folks are jacking up their liver. If they tried to ban opiates though it would result in a major increase of heroin use.

link   
/Thread Done

It’s important to point out that the panel was not advising a ban on any of the ingredients in those combination drugs, only on combining them in a single pill. So if the FDA follows the panel’s advice and bans Vicodin, a doctor could still prescribe a patient acetaminophen and hydrocodone, the two ingredients that are combined in Vicodin.

blogs.wsj.com...

Truth 1

Fear mongering 0

link   
reply to post by boncho

IMO this is just another step in a deeper regulation of the only pain meds that work for many people in the US. If people take the meds as prescribed they would not be overdosing, it is when people who cannot take responsibility for their medications and over do it that they have trouble. I mean there are always exceptions to every rule but for the most part mixing Motrin with the above mentioned drugs will also have adverse affects but they dole those out along with the others from what I have seen.

Hydration should be the real focus on liver damage, that and alcohol, coffee, tea, soda, consumption, poor diet and nutrition.

This represents so much more like the continued war on drugs starting with peoples well being and not the strongholds of druglords and blood money.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

So you are happy the makers of Tylenol are allowed a monopoly to inject their toxic drug into a combination of many others, seeing profit on all of that, meanwhile causing liver failure in people because their drug is extremely toxic and must be taken near toxic levels for it to work effectively?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
/Thread Done

It’s important to point out that the panel was not advising a ban on any of the ingredients in those combination drugs, only on combining them in a single pill. So if the FDA follows the panel’s advice and bans Vicodin, a doctor could still prescribe a patient acetaminophen and hydrocodone, the two ingredients that are combined in Vicodin.

blogs.wsj.com...

Truth 1

Fear mongering 0

thanks, i was tired of reading people going off the deep end when they didn't even read the article.

i think this is a great idea since tylenol has no business being combined with other pain relievers. if you take two vicodin you've had way too much tylenol but probably just the right amount of hydro for your pain. see the problem here folks? so yeah i hope they do this.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

no not good xanax is a life saver for me as i get sever anxiety. i would have a hard time doing alotta things with out it. i dont abuse it and never will.

Your'e lucky that it works for you. I have seen xanax ruin many lives including my brothers life. Some people that come off of heroine take xanax and vicadin together claiming that it gives them a similiar high to heroine.
Most doctors will even admit how dangerous xanax and vicadin are.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

the problem is more that people don't consider what other harms they're doing to their bodies on a daily basis. if you're taking 2-3 grams of acetaminophine as directed, but also are screwing up your liver drinking tons of sugary drinks, or what not...you could breach the limit and end up with liver failure.

it's just too risky. i drive like a crackhead, but haven't found the need or desire to intake any tylenol in the last 12 years. far more risky in my assessment.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hope4peace

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

Your'e lucky that it works for you. I have seen xanax ruin many lives including my brothers life. Some people that come off of heroine take xanax and vicadin together claiming that it gives them a similiar high to heroine.
Most doctors will even admit how dangerous xanax and vicadin are.

yes and automobiles, hospitals and alcohol ruin far more but we still have them. point is just because some people can't deal with it shouldn't be a reason to take it away from everyone.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join