It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know what stars these are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
First off let me say I'm not claiming UFOs here, I believe these are stars or maybe satellites, but I'm mostly curious because I have never seen a formation like this before in my backyard. I was on on my back patio and happened to look up as I often do and noticed this triangle formation. It caught my attention right away because they were the brightest spots in the sky, form a nice triangle, and I've lived in this location for about 13 years and have never noticed it before. I live in Hilliard Ohio and this is looking pretty much to the west. Picture was taken on 8/20 in the evening. I took some pictures and this is the only one that came out that does not look like movement (I did not get out my tripod). As I continued watching, they stayed in this formation and slowly moved to the right behind the tree area as I would expect from stars. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me what these are, and maybe why I have not seen it before, or since? Here is a link to re-sized image:

If someone could imbed this I'd appreciate it!

Here is a link to the original:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
They look like Vega, Deneb and Altair AKA The Summer Triangle.

There is some info here:

earthsky.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
the lower point is a star, dont remember the name, and the two upper points, the one on the left is mars, its red, the one on the upper right is satarn. How do i know you ask... I looked at them with my telescope when i seen the formation a few weeks ago.

4 or 5 days later the moon came around and made a perfect box.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Well fits everything but the west part (says look east) I'm just very surprised I have never noticed it before.
edit on 12-9-2012 by ByTor420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByTor420
reply to post by redbarron626

Well fits everything but the west part (says look east) I'm just very surprised I have never noticed it before.
edit on 12-9-2012 by ByTor420 because: (no reason given)

its two planets and a star. I remember the night quite well.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Off topic. I've had insomnia the past few weeks and wake up around 4 am every morning. Last night I looked outside and know that I saw a planet at one point (not a clue which one, possibly Saturn). It was huge and bright. But the moon caught my eye. I should have taken a photo. I've never seen the moon in such a position before. There was just a sliver visible. You could see the outline of the moon (shadows) but only a sliver of light could be seen from the darkness. The way it was lined up with the planet was just odd. About an hour later, the planet had moved quite high up in the sky and wasn't as bright. But it amazes me each morning I see it. Just how big and bright it is this year.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Mars, Saturn & Spica IIRC...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ByTor420

I too saw these i am living in southern Spain i watched them over a couple of nights and the triangle shape would be different each night , i had never seen a star formation like that either and neither had the person i pointed them out to

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i have just thought why i personally have never seen the summer stars ,, i am from Yorkshire England and we don't have a summer

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth
reply to post by ByTor420

I too saw these i am living in southern Spain i watched them over a couple of nights and the triangle shape would be different each night , i had never seen a star formation like that either and neither had the person i pointed them out to

If planets were involved (especially Venus and/or Mars) then they would appear in a slightly different place each night (relatively, against the background stars), and those location changes would be very noticeable over the course of several nights.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Your best bet is to download Stellarium from www.stellarium.org... or access a sky chart at www.heavens-above.com...

Specify your location and time, and they will show you what was in the sky.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Might it be the winter triangle? Betelgeuse is orange and the other two in the triangle are Procyon with Sirius (the brightest) at the bottom, depending where you are on the planet. If you're upside down that'll be on the top, I think ?? I dunno if this is summer or winter really. But it's cold. I must get that star app for my tablet.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
1 looks like SPICA

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Excellet Thread and Thank you for the links to new Space things that are very useful. Yes stars is all it is.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

thanks for the links

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
They look like Vega, Deneb and Altair AKA The Summer Triangle.

There is some info here:

earthsky.org...

So that's what that is. I've always noticed them and definitely of recent as well.

Very cool.

top topics

join