It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo's of the Last Meals of Prisoners on Death Row............

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I saw this today and it made me feel rather creepy....

Basically the photographs are of the last meals requested by prison inmates on death row....

The death penalty was reinstated just over 35 years ago. To mark the date, these photographs were taken of a series of last meal requests from death row inmates by London photographer James Reynolds.....

The prison trays are replicas of those used in maximum security prisons.....

James Reynolds saw a small list of what a few death row prisoners had chosen for their last meals before their deaths and wondered what they would look like as a visual image. After all, these meals would be one of the last things these prisoners see before they die.

‘At first he just wanted to see what these meals looked like on the iconic prison tray. He wanted to get the viewer to think, or have an opinion.

What would your last meal be?

What kind of people were these prisoners?

Why did they choose that particular meal?

What crime did they commit?

The tray with the single olive still had its stone. The inmate thought that after being executed and buried, an olive tree—a symbol of peace—would grow from him. It was indeed a very profound thought or idea, but an olive tree has not yet been found on his grave.

Personally I would have to go for a very British dish of Vegetable Vindaloo, Pilau rice, Naan bread, Onion Bhaji, Bombay Potatoes and Popadoms and mint sauce........

What about you, what would you have?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Wow, I would say that the guy who requested only the olive had truely found peace/salvation whatever you want to call it. He meant that. Might have been worth a double check for clemency by whatever Gov.

I'd be willin' to bet that one was in Texas. Odds are in my favor for several reasons.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

The guy who chose just a grape had a sense of humor.

And the one with the coke, pack of mint bubble gum and a Onion
whats the onion all about lol

EDIT TO ADD: If i had to call a last request, it be a big fat cuban and a large single malt scotch, adios suckers.
edit on 12-9-2012 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
That was a truly fascinating thread, thank you for posting. S & F. Wow, what a unique and subtle insight into a mind in those final moments. I would have expected far greater gluttony. I always think, I'd have a huge steak with mushrooms, seasoned vegetables, and a gigantic beer! Ha! Well, apparently I might not. Apparently, in those final moments, perhaps the value of your culinary exit might appear somewhat diminished, even odd.

Again, thanks...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick

The guy who chose just a grape had a sense of humor.

And the one with the coke, pack of mint bubble gum and a Onion
whats the onion all about lol

EDIT TO ADD: If i had to call a last request, it be a big fat cuban and a large single malt scotch, adios suckers.
edit on 12-9-2012 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

Hi Maverick,

Just think of the great big massive burp you could conjure up after drinking all that coke and eating a raw onion.......there's one big smell to gift to the prison guards on your way to the chair...haha

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

that is all.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Very strange. If I were on death row, anyway, I'd pick the one with greasy fried chicken, baked beans, french fries and chocolate shake. If I'm gonna die anyway, might as well go out with a bang! My personal pick would be a huge plate of Mexican food.

I don't eat any of the above, but on my way out? Yeah, I'd enjoy it, too.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

that is all.

Good choice TechVampyre...................Do you think they would supply any ice?...haha

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I don't see how death is a fitting judgement for anyone. The punishment doesn't let the prisoner reflect on their actions, so it's quite useless. Not having freedom is much more effective by forcing the prisoner to reconcile with themselves and their actions.

Death only gives a misplaced sense of justice to those who were wronged. And in cases where the convicted persons may be innocent, it is a unspeakable tragedy for the wrongly accused/convicted, not to mention the victims who think the matter is resolved.

Regarding the OP pictures, definitely creepy. But I would probably opt for the pack of smokes...
edit on 12-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Ice.. Pfft.. Ice waters down the whiskey my friend.. You have a lot to learn about drinking..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Here is a website of the last meals of well known criminals...who were executed.

Link: www.famouslastmeals.com...

What really somewhat puzzles me is that knowing they are going to be put to death; why eat anything at all?

I personally wouldn't eat anything; I certainly wouldn't need the food; after all it won't keep me alive.

It is just a depressing situation.

edit on 12-9-2012 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is a depressing thread if ever I saw one. But it's a healthy thing, I think, to look into the minds of the people you voted to kill. And yes, anyone who ever voted for the death penalty in that state is responsible for the deaths of those criminals.

In "Game of Thrones", the King says that you should always look a man in the eye as you kill him, so you can see and FEEL what you're doing. When you can still do it, you know it's right. Either that, or you're just a vicious arse.

In all seriousness, we take death too lightly when it concerns people unrelated to us. We take death too lightly when all we hear is a few words about it. We take death lightly when we make an uninformed judgment about who they are or what they did. And we often take so little time to imagine: what if that was us?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Ice.. Pfft.. Ice waters down the whiskey my friend.. You have a lot to learn about drinking..

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...............I do like my drink TechVampyre, but I have no like of spirits whatsoever apart from the occasional bottle of Stolichnaya Russian vodka, but it has to be cold...............but I see your point of being watered down.........................need a drink now.......haha

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...............I do like my drink TechVampyre, but I have no like of spirits whatsoever apart from the occasional bottle of Stolichnaya Russian vodka, but it has to be cold...............but I see your point of being watered down.........................need a drink now.......haha

HAHA.. Spoken like a true alcoholic.. Cheers friend.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
This is a depressing thread if ever I saw one. But it's a healthy thing, I think, to look into the minds of the people you voted to kill. And yes, anyone who ever voted for the death penalty in that state is responsible for the deaths of those criminals.

In "Game of Thrones", the King says that you should always look a man in the eye as you kill him, so you can see and FEEL what you're doing. When you can still do it, you know it's right. Either that, or you're just a vicious arse.

In all seriousness, we take death too lightly when it concerns people unrelated to us. We take death too lightly when all we hear is a few words about it. We take death lightly when we make an uninformed judgment about who they are or what they did. And we often take so little time to imagine: what if that was us?

Yeah I do agree AfterInfinity, I think that people do take death too lightly if they have no association with us...I also feel that a persons life is regarded as pointless, especially when you watch these so called video games and killing as many as you can.That does make me feel very sad to watch young people playing those kind of games which I also feel infiltrates their minds when out in the real world...........

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well if I had to choose my last meal I would go for some of my childhood favorites.

Mashed potatoes with hamburger gravy, cube steak with mushrooms and onions, fruit salad and orange Fanta soda.

Just a point, the reason you do not see any alcohol is that it is not allowed in prisons. Sorry no last drink for me.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If I was about to die, I would be a nervous wreck.....I don't think I could handle that little grape. Most likely I couldn't keep a thing down.

but if I could, the fried chicken, beans and french fries are the way to go.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobcat2003
Well if I had to choose my last meal I would go for some of my childhood favorites.

Mashed potatoes with hamburger gravy, cube steak with mushrooms and onions, fruit salad and orange Fanta soda.

Just a point, the reason you do not see any alcohol is that it is not allowed in prisons. Sorry no last drink for me.

What no alcohol? That's not going to go down very well with a few people on here...haha.....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Here is a website of the last meals of well known criminals...who were executed.

Link: www.famouslastmeals.com...

What really somewhat puzzles me is that knowing they are going to be put to death; why eat anything at all?

I personally wouldn't eat anything; I certainly wouldn't need the food; after all it won't keep me alive.

It is just a depressing situation.

edit on 12-9-2012 by caladonea because: edit

Yeah, I can't think of a more depressing time to actually want to eat anything either caladonea........thanks for the other link.........

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I was just reading on that link caladonea posted, and what i though and looks like a grape in that pic above was infact a unpitted olive, this was the one i found most interesting.

Victor Feguer

Convicted March 16, 1961 for the kidnapping and murder of Edward Bartels, sentenced to death. Executed via hanging March 15, 1963 at the Iowa State Penitentiary.

MENU 1 Olive

Feguer was put to death for the abduction and murder of Dr. Edward Bartels. Supposedly, Feguer wanted the medications a doctor might be carrying, and went through the phone book calling doctors until the unfortune Bartels answered. Feguer's execution made little impact at the time, though it would become the last federal execution until 2001 due to the Furman v.

Georgia death penalty moratorium that soon went into effect. He is still the last person to be put to death in the state of Iowa. One might think his last request of a single, unpitted olive to be a sign of spite, but Feguer was apparently quite well-behaved during his finals days.

Perhaps it stemmed from an odd sense of humor, one that would be echoed in the fact Feguer was buried with the olive's pit.

So i guess the thinking was to return as a olive tree ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join