It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft unveils Patent for every Trekkies Dream: The Holo-deck.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here it is Boys and Girls - that moment we have all been waiting for.

Ever since I watched "Encounter at Far-Point" all those years ago and saw Riker walk into a "Holo-deck" where he witnessed Data up a tree attempting to belt out "if I only had a dream" - I myself started to dream of the endless possibilities that awaited us - all we needed was some brainiac to "make it so".

The possibility of walking into a room where I can create any 3D "real" situation I pleased with the only limitation being my imagination is finally here...............

Arstechnica.com
Slashgear.com

Of all the technology that they had on the Enterprise, what I always wanted the most was the Holodeck. The Holodeck was a gigantic room where people in the series went for recreation and was a fully immersive holographic video game system. A newly published patent from Microsoft shows a method of combining gaming and other content on a smaller TV screen with the projection of peripheral images around the player.

Microsoft has filed a patent for a console which could transform the walls of a living room into a 360 degree gaming experience. The patent, for an "immersive display experience", was filed by Microsoft early last year but only published by the US Patent and Trademark Office this week.
The patent states that the console would project a 3D image on the four walls of the living room and the player's movements would be tracked, immersing the user into the game. This would be achieved by a device called the "Environmental Display", a projector that extends the display beyond the television, maps the layout of the room and “appears to surround the user”.
Microsoft's Kinect could also be used to track the user’s eye movements, so that the projected areas would come into focus depending on where the user is looking. The patent describes how it could create a new interactive experience where the gamer “may be aware of an approaching video game enemy” or “the user may turn around and observe an enemy sneaking up from behind”.
3D glasses and headwear could also be used to add a stronger sense of realism and depth, according to the patent.

And for all those people unlucky in love - Quarks Holo-suite could now be your answer...............if ya know what I mean

edit on 12-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Of course, once again, Microsoft assumes most people have access to a giant room to play in.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Can't wait 'til I can play Halo on it...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Microsoft hollowdeck?

I wouldn't want to be in that when it blue screens!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
Of course, once again, Microsoft assumes most people have access to a giant room to play in.

Indeed thats the same reason I can't even have a kinect, I dont remember Data having to worry about tripping over the Coffee Table,

Safety protocols disabled

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I wish they'd stop using catchy titles. It's nothing like a holo deck. It's 4 virtual wall sized screens. You don't get to grab anything, push anything, move anything, interact on a physical level. While it obviously sounds like it will react to your gestures in real time, it's a long call to say it's similar to walking into a 'holo deck'.

You'd get the same experience using virtual reality goggles, which have been out for years now. Difference is, you could get a realistic 3D perspective with goggles. Walls, like your TV screen, will still only be 2D, and you will not have any depth of view.

And they won't be able to use current lenticular 3D technology (which doesn't require glasses or goggles) as for that effect to work, you are required to be in a 'Sweet spot' to view the illusion.. making the ability to walk around a virtual room very limited.

I think M$ are simply putting their foot in a door that may eventually open. I mean, patenting an idea, before it's been given room to evolve.. how microsoft.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Microsoft hollowdeck?

I wouldn't want to be in that when it blue screens!

EVIL LINCOLN LIVES, LOL
edit on 12-9-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
AHHHHH

I want to be rich and buy one......

and returning to reality is "let down" guy...... down, hands in pockets, all full of shucks.....
edit on 12-9-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Trek was bit more than this. It was actually touchable enviroment where you could feel the things and manipulate them. They were also deadly if the program had a bad day. So imagine that? Reality without any reprecussions. You can have murder parties and no cops, no guilt, noone actually dead. Feels, sounds and looks real thought...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap

Not just that but we all don't have the money to buy such luxuries, hell some us can't afford a tv let alone a room full of gizmos and gadgets. It's all good for the rich and famous, it's like they bang on about how this Virgin galactic will boost tourism into space .. For only the rich millionaires to be able to pay the money to go on such trips.

Nice post but lost my interest as I no doubt won't be able to expierence such technology .. Well maybe in the next 20 years

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
You guys should check out Occulus Rift which has the whole gaming industry already supporting a set of high def virtual reality goggles that's really impressing the crap out of all the developers...... and they're making games for these goggles due out after the new years

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Wow this looks awesome, just have to renovate my house to fit it. I wonder if a few years down the track they will have something similar, but you wear a brain frequency receiving helmet with goggles attached, chill on a couch, and become completely immersed in a 3D world. Dayz would be the bomb!! Well anything would be awesome, the applications would be limitless depending on the creativity of the programmers, interactive architecture design where you build a house on a real street, that would be wicked.

Can't wait for apple to bring out the competition for this!
edit on 13-9-2012 by rozla41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
eh, The idea with the holodeck in Star Trek was that you would create any environment and it would be physical. The room as you knew it would be gone and you'd be in almost an entirely new world.

If you tried to move with this projector thing, you'd bump into your furniture and walls etc.

The holodeck of Star Trek is unfortunately pretty impossible, this is cool but only works if you have a perfect room. My living room is a bit strangely designed, so this couldn't project an image evenly at all.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Amazing.

Although i'll be honest, i was always more excited about the replicator becoming real rather than the holodeck.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
The possibility of walking into a room where I can create any 3D "real" situation I pleased with the only limitation being my imagination is finally here...............

Ever heard of Astral projection? If you think this is amazing I suggest you look into it because it is very real.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
*Double post*
edit on 17-9-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join