It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillsborough files released: LIVE coverage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Hillsborough files released: LIVE coverage

www.bbc.co.uk

Thousands of previously unseen government files relating to the 1989 Hillsborough disaster are being released.

The report finds flaws in the police operation and new evidence that the police carried out checks on those who had died in order to "impugn their reputations"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
In1989 a football match was about to start. Fans were still making their way into the grounds in order to watch the match..
But something had gone seriously wrong and 96 people were crushed to death.

These files have been released from the governments posession. According to news I heard on the radio, these files have been released early. They could have been held for 30 years before anyone got close to them.

Considering that the government have known this all this time is, in itself, a cover up.. a "brush it under the carpet and hope everyone forgets"..

The prime minister has said he is "profoundly sorry" for what he called the double injustice of the Hillsborough disaster.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The report finds that 164 police statements were altered.

The report, by the Hillsborough Independent Panel, showed police and emergency services made "strenuous attempts" to deflect the blame for the disaster on to innocent fans.

Family members of those that died have been campaigning for these files to be released...and now, they finally have.
Some want 'accountability' by those who sought to hinder any and all investigations into how this tragic event occured.

I am aware that many of you out there reading this will have no idea what is being discussed. I would consider posting a video, but due to what happened and out of respect for the families involved, I wont. If you want to watch what did happen, then please do your own research. It's not exactly horrific, but some may find it pretty bad.

It has been classed as the worst sporting accident in English history.

MP Andy Burnham has said that a 'monumental cover-up' has been revealed.
The cover up of the evidence has to be one of the biggest and worst things this country could ever have done. And that is the twist here..

How can we be sure that the police and/or the government will never hide or change anything? How can we get transparency? How can the general public keep these people in a position of power if they are willing and happy to lock things away in order to prevent uproar?

I seriously hope that much more comes out of this than just 'accountability'.. It would seem the entire system needs an overhaul.

The PM says there is no evidence of the government covering anything up?
Oh no!!?? What about withholding evidence for 23 years?
how about that?
Why don't you all step up to the plate and admit you've all hoped the problem would go away...

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I still remember that day, I was 12 and sat in silence watching it unfold on Grandstand or whichever show it was shown live on. It left a bitter taste in my mouth that I've never forgotten. Kelvin Mackenzie has to apologise for his rags wrongdoings, then they might get a bit closer to justice for the 96.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Lifelong Liverpool fan here. Been waiting absolutely ages for the truth to come out. I was supposed to be at this game (Main Stand rather than Leppings Lane) but couldn't attend. Was waiting for my uncle to arrive from USA, flight delayed so we went to watch Leeds instead (another story).

I have to say though that the government at the time have been found not guilty of involvement in the cover up. This is by an independent tribunal panel rather than a government appointed panel. In this case, that is enough for me. Hopefully we can now concentrate on prosecuting those involved in covering up and distorting the truth rather than looking for non existent links back to the then Thatcher government.

Justice for the 96. YNWA.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Exactly the same for me too..watching in stunned silence as that was all I could do.

Many were very lucky, but those who were caught.. i can only imagine what was going through their minds.
What makes it worse is that it was slow.
Being crushed like that is not something that is over in a moment.

According to the live coverage now, they are saying that 41 people had the potential to survive.. so why didn't they?
What happened in order for these extra 41 to go like that?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

It is actually slightly more than that - 59 still had brain and lungs working after the 3:15 PM "cut off time". How disgraceful is that? All sorts of disturbing things are emerging. For me, one of the worst is that grieving relatives were asked to identify relatives and then told they couldn't even kiss them goodbye as the bodies were "no longer their property". This includes mothers identifying children.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

I have to say though that the government at the time have been found not guilty of involvement in the cover up. This is by an independent tribunal panel rather than a government appointed panel. In this case, that is enough for me. Hopefully we can now concentrate on prosecuting those involved in covering up and distorting the truth rather than looking for non existent links back to the then Thatcher government.

Justice for the 96. YNWA.

I understand what you are saying and, to an extent, agree with you..

But it's the files that have been held by the government which held all the details about what happened, and how the police changed their stories..
In my mind, this is complicit. It is withholding evidence.
Why were these files not brought out a lot sooner?

If it was a top secret file on the latest computer system or something, then fine.. but this involved the death of many people and the government had the information to help.

Another way of looking at it is "I know someone who did a crime, got arrested and let off, but I know he's guilty and can prove it..but I'm not telling as it's a secret for 30 years".. If I was to suddenly come out with this, I'd probably be charged with withholding evidence.. and my feet wouldn't touch the floor as I'm whisked off to court..

strange set of rules those in power have..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I do see where you are coming from but i have to say there has been something of a desire (possibly too emotive a word to use here) for something to link back to Thatcher. Now we know there isn't that link, it seems (judging some of the media reaction already) that this desire is still there. I just think we should move on from that and concentrate on nailing the scum bags involved.

What is apparent is that both Thatcher and her PPS thought at the time that South Yorkshire Police were undergoing a cover up that was "typical" of them at the time.

The Senior Police and the Coroner need locking up. That is apparent but probably won't happen. However, i have to say, those involved will be distinctly uncomfortable today. As photos are published over the next few days and weeks, they will become pariah's in their own community. I shouldn't enjoy feeling satisfaction at knowing this but i have to confess that i really do.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

oh boy are there gonna be some red faces in certain areas..

All of those 'pillars of society' who have spent all this time thinking they're safe and sitting cosy in their homes.. all paid for by the cover up..
The next time they go shopping they'll see themselves all over the papers and people wil be pointing. They wont be able to sell their houses fast enough..

Shame on those who took any part in covering it up.. even the government employee who knew what those files were, what they contained and ordered them secreted..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The milk snatcher attended Hilsborough on the following day. So she must have known some thing about went on. Are all the documents being released? Are there any concerning her? I guess not. They wouldnt want to smear the iron ladys reputation. I hope that there are criminel charges for the people, who covered this crime up. I cant see any scouser not wanting the people concerned, not to be charged. The sun is still not sold in Liverpool, since the false allergations of fans robbing the dead bodys appeared in it. 25 yrs was a long time to wait to get the answers. Lets hope the wait has been worth it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Michael Mansfield QC agrees with journalists that Hillsborough is the "biggest cover-up in British history".

Really?
If so, then I hope something happens ...something major..

A lot of the things in these files have been known for 23 years, yet nobody has said anything. The police have accepted that they lost control over the situation and decided to lie..

Just how corrupt and wrong does a democratic society have to be before people really get angry?

Chief Constable David Crompton says the police statements were amended after officers sought "independent legal advice". He adds that "people thought it was the right course of action at the time" but concedes time has shown it was not.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I was 20 at the time, and was workin at the time of the match, we had the match on the radio and the whole building sight stopped to listen in shock and horror.
These people and the other fans were innocent but have had their reputation's dragged through the mud for the last twenty three years.
The sun news paper should be ashamed and should print a full page apology on the front page not tucked away in the back pages.

To the 96 R.I.P

Never forgotten.
edit on 12-9-2012 by marvinthemartian because: oops dyslexic

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Maybe The Sun was involved with the police.. we know how corrupt the Sun is.. and, day by day, we learn just how low the police will go in order to get things their way..

you seen the statement released by the police this evening?

"On 18th April 1989 [sic], 96 of the Liverpool fans went to Hillsborough to watch the FA Cup Semi Final and died as a result of the disaster. On that day South Yorkshire Police failed the victims and families. The police lost control. In the immediate aftermath senior officers sought to change the record of events. Disgraceful lies were told which blamed the Liverpool fans for the disaster."

"Statements were altered which sought to minimise police blame. These actions have caused untold pain and distress for over 23 years. I am profoundly sorry for the way the force failed on 15th April 1989 and I am doubly sorry for the injustice that followed and I apologise to the families of the 96 and Liverpool fans. South Yorkshire Police is a very different place in 2012 from what it was 23 years ago and we will be fully open and transparent in helping to find answers to the questions posed by the Panel today."

www.bbc.co.uk...

They even got the date wrong.. then got it correct later on..

edit on 12-9-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It's odd isn't it...

This is one of THE biggest conspiracies in recent British history and certainly involving the police... and there's barely anyone discussing it on ATS.

Shocking really.

Maybe Obama is taking a crap and that is far more interesting.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
It's odd isn't it...

This is one of THE biggest conspiracies in recent British history and certainly involving the police... and there's barely anyone discussing it on ATS.

Shocking really.

Maybe Obama is taking a crap and that is far more interesting.

I'm glad you noticed that too.. Whilst I was composing the thread i wondered if anybody had beaten me to it.. but no !!

This is one of the biggest slaps the police have ever had and by heck we need to nail them down for what they've done.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

There are some fascinating threads and discussions on RAWK and have been for the last few days.

www.redandwhitekop.com...

A good piece in the Mirror

www.mirror.co.uk...

The Independent have several good pieces on this, all up in the top left.

www.independent.co.uk...

Also the Guardian are posting some of the things they've said over the years, this is a good piece

www.guardian.co.uk...

Also if people haven't seen the LFC.TV documentary "Hillsborough" from a couple of years ago, it's well worth a watch.

Part 1 is here and you can find the rest from there

Also the ITV documentary "The search for Truth" is a harrowing, difficult, but ultimately very good documentary.

www.itv.com...

And lastly, LFC.TV is free to view today and they have at the moment, The Hope For Hillsborough Press Conference from Liverpool Cathedral.

www.liverpoolfc.com...

Cheers

edit on 12/9/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think we are going to see a lot more comments like this from every walk of society..

Former Liverpool player Stan Collymore

tweets: Reading every page of the findings. Honestly can't believe what I'm reading. Anyone should be terrified about the level of cover up/smears.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Terrified at the level of cover up....
what else have they covered up over the years?

This reminds me of a thread I did on Dr. Crippen. They think the police provided false evidence in order to get a conviction after their inability to catch the ripper..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks for those..
I like this bit from the Mirror..

English football became a golden magnet for billionaire owners, millionaire players and satellite customers, drawn from every corner of the earth. But at what cost? Ninety-six people - half of whom were 21 or younger - lost their lives at Hillsborough, more than 750 were physically injured, numerous suicides have been laid at its door, and thousands still bear the mental scars.

www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well, what can be said? Tragedy unfolds. Officials conspire to cover up wrongdoings of whatever sorts...

Why, is the question of the day.

This is the reason, the main reason, that people must be involved in all levels of governing. I know this is a fairly regular thing for me to say, and maybe I'm being tuned out... But we get the governing we deserve to a very great extent.

Tragedies like this should, if nothing else, point out that we must watch, listen, act, when things like this occur.

Governments will never act against their own self interests...never. ...and this is another horrific example of that.

I guess the next question is, what next?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Of course this was a long time ago and things have changed, haven't they?

Remember Mr. Tomlinson the other year?

www.guardian.co.uk...

and another recent investigation of police failings, www.guardian.co.uk...

Makes you wonder what else has been shoved under the carpet or that government has not taken interest in?

www.guardian.co.uk...

or the similar suicide to Dr Kelly co-worker in Wiltshire www.dailymail.co.uk...

So many things happen and are we told the truth?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join