It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've actually felt like watching movies the last couple of weeks, so I've been doing some catching up. I am using the 10 point system here and if something scores a 7.5 or higher I feel it would be worth spending the money to rent. Anything under that you should wait for it to come out on t.v.

Flight - 8 - Awesome movie! Denzel Washington is just an outstanding actor and I loved the role John Goodman played!

The Paperboy - 7.5 - A bit on the twisted side.... okay a whole lot on the twisted side. Some things were just completely unexpected and that element of surprise elevated the score. At first, I was a bit put off because I'm not a Zac Efron fan but Cusack, McConaughey & Kidman don't disappoint.

Argo - 7.5 - It was well put together and fine acting all around.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - 7 - Every now and then a film will come along that disturbs me and this one definately yanked my chain. Billed as a drama/fantasy it is sad and depressing but I didn't want to stop watching. Quvenzhane Wallis is the youngest person EVER to receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination and she definately deserved to be there!

Life of Pi - 7 - I actually enjoyed this. Who thought I would fall for a tiger?Lol And a fake one at that!

Django Unchained - 6.5 - The language was a bit too much for me. Sometimes less is more. Other than that it kept my attention.

Lincoln - 6.5 - To be honest.... it's a tad boring. Yes, it's a historical film but it just wasn't all that. And I don't know if it was just me, but everytime Daniel Day-Lewis opened his mouth all I could hear was Darell Hammond (SNL) impersonating Sean Connery on the skit 'Celebrity Jeopardy' - "I'll take famous titties (titles) for 4 hundred"!

Odd Life Of Timothy Green - 6 - Predictable.

Les Miserables - Turned it off within two minutes when I realized it was a musical. Yuck.

The Help - 8 - Really good movie but it's a chick flick!

The Descendants - 7 - I ended up liking this one too.

War Horse - 6.5 - Another predictable movie and some of the acting is a bit cheesy but it held my attention.

The Adjustment Bureau - 6.5 - I like Matt Damon what can I say?

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - 6 - This didn't do a whole lot for me. I watched it because I like Tom Hanks & Sandra Bullock but they both had minor roles.

edit on 22-3-2013 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Resident Evil: Retribution - 6/10, decent movie, was kind of campy and had a video game feel to it, nothing to great but a decent action film and good if you know what to expect.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A few films I've seen recently.

Dallas Buyers Club

Absolutely stunning and heartbreaking movie.
The performances of Matthew McConaughey & Jared Leto are mesmerising and the film is absolutely gripping and intriguing.
It's harrowing and yet filled with hope too, it really is one of those films that comes along very rarely.

I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10

Her

Another stunning movie, both visually and content wise.
The philosophical questions and situations presented in the film are extremely relevant in today's society and the deeper questions of human connection and what makes a person a person are also very well handled, as is The Singularity.
Also the way the OS is presented, would clearly whip through The Turing Test
Just amazing
It's an absolutely beautiful movie and one I've been looking forward to for a long time, it did not disappoint, if anything it exceeded my expectations.

I'd give it 9 out of 10

In A World

Well this film was fun, fresh and certainly made me laugh.
It's a pretty low budget Indie movie, which I LOVE, and while it may not set the world alight and may not be a life-changing movie (like the 2 previous films) It's definitely worth a watch and if you love voice-overs and movie trailers, and fun independent movies, then definitely check it out.

I'd give it 6.8 out of 10

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I usually wait until the new releases become free on my cable, but my sister recommended 'The Family' (Robert DeNiro, Michelle Pfeiffer), so I paid for it...regrettably. Next time...I'll watch new releases only if they are free.

As a comedy, I rate it 6/10, as for the attempted dramatic scenes, I give a rating of 5/10 just because it could have delved deeper into psyche of the each character, especially between the mother and the priest during the many times they interracted in the church.

They could have done so much better with this, but failed.

edit on 16-1-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I forgot to add another film I watched last night.

Inside Llewyn Davis

The new Coen Bros movie is different from their previous films, it's much more moody and melancholy. (OK so NCFOM wasn't a ray of sunshine...but)
The soundtrack/music featured in the film is absolutely amazing and the lead man, Oscar Isaac, has one hell of a voice.
These are usually my kind of films, character study, no real plot or big dramatic scenes, just dialogue and character driven story.

I liked it but it lacked a little something to stop it being amazing.

Still a good film and one folk/music fans should really appreciate.

7.3 out of 10
edit on 16/1/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Short Term 12

Now this film was amazing....heartbreaking, compelling, wonderfully real and human.
A tale of life inside (and out) a foster care facility for at risk teenagers and the counsellors who are working with them.
The child actors are amazing, as are the adults.

This film made me cry.

Amazing.

I'd give it 9 out of 10 and urge anyone and everyone to see this movie.
edit on 17/1/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
12 Years A Slave

While the story is definitely one that deserves to be told, what this man went through was just unbelievable, and while the film is definitely well acted and the cinematography is beautiful, the film itself is nothing amazing.
It's certainly not a bad film and is well worth seeing, and the performance of Lupita Nyong'o as Patsy is brilliant, the film just didn't live up to the hype for me.

It's a difficult watch and is a very bleak and brutal look at slavery and the conditions slaves faced, but I was very aware I was watching a film the whole way through, the best films make you forget that fact.
They hype around this film is insane and I just cannot see why?

Anyway...

I'd give it a 6.9 out of 10

Prisoners

This was one of the best thrillers I've seen in a while.
The suspense was palpable and it keeps you riveted and guessing right up until the end.
Hugh Jackman gives a great performance and you feel his grief and pain throughout.
Not a fun film for sure but a great crime/thriller movie and one you should definitely see.

I'd give it a 7.2 out of 10
edit on 17/1/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I watched "Man of Steel" earlier today. I would say it was about a 6/10. The fight scenes were annoyingly drawn out. It was a little dark and boring in parts.

I watched "Devils Pass" the other night and I actually really liked it. The acting was bad but I liked the movie as a whole. I was surprised. I actually jumped and screamed a couple times which hasn't happened in years with a movie. lol I was actually quite happy it scared me to jumping and screaming.

I watched "We Are The Millers" and that was horrible. Jennifer Aniston is not a good actress, sorry I don't see it. She was fine on Friends but I have a hard time watching her in movies. I give it a 3/10.

I also watched "The Conjuring" and I liked that movie. I really enjoy reading about The Warrens what they do and have done. It was more interesting to me and spooked me more because a family really did experience horrible things in that house. Sure they embellished on some things like all movies do with "true story" movies. I would say it's 8/10.

Those are the last 4 movies I've watched. I love my Netflix, Redbox and Amazon

I need new movies to watch so I'll be skimming this thread for ideas.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
GET SMART - 2008- Steve Carroll, Anne Hathaway - rating 8 - Life imitates art and it SCARES the noodles out of my mac and cheese! like the way the two main characters affected some of the body language and reparte from the original series. what realy got me hooked on watching the movie ? the "briefing" scene at the begining, where "max" played by steve caroll, gives an overview of some "chatter" he heard, which was about some bad guys talking about coffee and muffins and from this he gleaned it had something to do with stolen nuclear materials. why - been to briefings like that at places all over washington D.C., and the only thing different from the movie and the real life briefings ? they guys in the movie dressed a little better and had nicer lap-tops !

also, don't watch this movie or this clip while: eating pecan pie and drinking very hot coffee ! : )

edit on 1182014 by tencap77 because: content

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
After several episodes of beloved Shark Tank, we watched Ender's Game. I'd give it a 9.5, it was classic to me. And I realized, when I was kid, they cold only have about 30 ufos shooting lasers one the screen at once, and we have arrived at the thousands! O' CGI, how you confuse reality for both good and evil

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Can I give a rate-estimate without numbers? The last movie I watched was The Departed. I rented it on Amazon, where I rent and watch all my movies. And I watched it, because of a reference someone made to it in a thread here on ATS.
It was too violent for me, and even a couple of my fave TV shows overdo it with the violence. Which I don't like. But anyway, otherwise, The Departed was a good story, great actors. Riveting conspiracy amongst Boston law enforcement. They placed a nice romance in the midst of it all. High action. Loved the music in it. The intensity gave me bad dreams. I recommend it for men 21-to- 45.

edit on 27-2-2014 by misschareesee2 because: ad

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

world war z 10/10

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hunger Games, Catching Fire.

6/10.

these movies just havent done a whole lot to hold my attention.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Theprimevoyager
The new Red Dawn. 3/10. Not even worth the watch.
Agree whole-heartedly. So bad.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Oh, one more:

Veronica Mars Movie.
7/10.

Very enjoyable, but the over-arcing mystery was weak, at best. Fans of the show will love it, lots of tidbits and winks.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The last movie I saw was veronica mars. I would give it an 8 out of 10.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

it was not the best mystery, but they only had 2 hours to tell the story. Also not a huge budget like most films had. I hope they make another movie.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I watched a dismal horror movie called Mama.

The ghost looked so manufactured, and like a rip-off of the Japanese/Korean-style horrors.
Mostly it looked like Cousin It rotating in syrup.

At the end the monster turned into moths.
Why moths?
It just did not work, and the only hot guy in the movie was in hospital most of the time, which stripped it of its only potential redeeming element.

On the other hand, I saw a really good film on YouTube called H3.
It's basically a prison movie about a battle of wills between Irish prisoners and the Thatcher regime, which refused to recognize Irish political prisoners.
Until they joined the criminal prison population they were refused showers, toilets, clothes or any semblance of humanity.
I highly recommend it as a study of institutionalization.

Ratings: Mama: 2 out of 10.
H3: 9 out of 10.
edit on 26-3-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Pandorum.. Sci-fi horror at its best.. 9.5/10

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Fast & Furious 6.

7/10.

Good standard action flick, but they have deviated so much from the original theme. These movies have gome from being movies about cars with some action to action movies with a few cars.

The action has also gotten much more cartoonish.

That said, i still love the series and cant wait for the next one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join