It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'US ambassador killed' in Libya protest - live updates

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

When I first seen this trailer, I thought it was a spoof, its really beyond bad, good grief.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

reply to post by Soshh

Originally posted by Soshh
A Libyan security official quoted by The Guardian said that the 'protests' in Cairo and Benghazi were coordinated and that someone was attempting to exacerbate instability in the country. This string of media stunts, such as the desecration of British WW2 graves and various attacks on Western targets involving firearms/explosives, one certainly gets the sense that someone is deliberately stirring up trouble.

Lets explore this possibility -

* - Iranian involvement theory
Recently there has been an (in general) tit for tat between assasinations of scientists and Ambassadors (Iran / Israel / Saudi Ambassador in the US / Asian countries). Maybe a diversion so Iran can get more time for a possible nuke program? A week ago Iran hosted the non aligned countries. During that gathering something rather astonishing occured -

Egypt leader in Iran: World must back Syria rebels - Associated Press – Aug 30, 2012 - click for more info

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — In a sweeping message that Iran is on the wrong side of Syria's civil war, Egypt's new president urged the world Thursday to support the rebels seeking to topple Bashar Assad and suggested that Tehran could risk a deepening confrontation with regional powers over the fate of the regime in Damascus.

The stinging comments by President Mohammed Morsi — making his first visit to Iran by an Egyptian leader since the 1979 Islamic Revolution — was another blindside blow for Iran as host of an international gathering of so-called nonaligned nations.

His speech, delivered while seated next to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, prompted Syria's delegation to walk out of the gathering.

Retaliation maybe / tit for tat?
Destabilize the region close to Israel to force Israel to deploy military assets which could have been used against a strike in Iran?

* - Israeli involvement theory -
There has been a massive fallout between Israel and the US in terms of Irans nuclear program. Its escalated to the point where the Israeli PM has called out / criticised the Us position. We have issues in the Sinai with cross border attacks and Egypt delpoying military assets.
Netanyahu criticizes US refusal to draw a 'red line' on Iran
* - There is speculation Israel might attack Iran during the General Assembly later this month. Mayve this is a distraction and maybe the strike might come sooner?

* - There has been discussions in Egypt about changing / dropping the peace treaty with Israel. Maybe this is a way to force Egypt to deal with their escalating internal / government vs military issues?

* - Syrian involvement theory -
With Assad facing more and more pressure along with the potential for foreign military involvement maybe this was a way to change the channel for Israel so to speak. If Israel were to attack now, the issues in Libya / Egypt would mean a diversion of military assets that could have been used in Syria / Iran.

US involvement theory -
With the Iran issue and the latest issues with Israel maybe this is a way to force Israel to hold off their possible attack on Iran. Since a US Ambassador was killed it will force more scrutiny by the US in the area. It could also be used as a reason to not support a possible attack on Iran by Israel.

* - Russian / China involvement theory -
Maybe they are running their own game in hopes of changing some of the cards they were dealt. If Syria goes down, Russia / China will lose their base / ally. If they need to replace it Libya and Egypt would be ideal (ports / oil / border with Israel etc...

Just a few I can think of.. No proof for any of them but thought I would go along with a conspiracy post to see where it could / might go;
edit on 12-9-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by quackers
For all those still thinking this is about some film, why just Libya? Why isnt Saudi Arabia infuriated, Jordan? Egypt? Any other predominantly Muslim country? What about their embassies? Smelling a rat yet?

I thought I read a headline last night about protests in Egypt about this, perhaps I am mistaken. I highly doubt there will be any military action based on this, WHO exactly do we go after? There is no clear enemy here.

link   
reply to post by GD21D

but I'd like to know who had a large chunk of cash to throw around in order to fund it.

It took a large chunk of cash to make it?
Hard to believe.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

It is crystal clear that the movie is just red-herring...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood

Originally posted by Gwampo
That is the funniest attempt at a movie I have ever seen!!

So this movie comes out, muslims get mad and kill an ambassador a country away from where the movie was released. This is a BIG step back for western/middle eastern relations..

The US should consider pulling out troops/ambassadors or seriously stepping up security around all assets in the entire middle east.

The movie is not funny. It is sad and immature. This is like making a movie about Jesus being a stupid homosexual. I'm sure plenty of Christians wouldn't be too happy about it. Infact, I bet it would be pulled off youtube the same day.

The US should consider leaving the middle east and worrying about the US.

Is 6 years long enough to make a point?

*plonk* -- I think your argument just fell over.

*ps- zero people died and none were threatened with death over this video.*

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by GD21D

but I'd like to know who had a large chunk of cash to throw around in order to fund it.

It took a large chunk of cash to make it?
Hard to believe.

I guess you missed the story I referenced on the first page in regards to the financing of the film. Also confirmed on CNN. Do I need to repost for you?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

For the record, I'm watching the trailer to this video and even as someone that doesn't believe in religion I can see how it can be highly offensive. It makes a mockery of the entire islamic religion. We have freedom of speech and religion in this country, but respecting the beliefs of others goes a long way. I'm not saying these attacks are justified in any way, but I can see why people would be mad about this.

So you can justify this?

If I lived in your suburb and I made a video saying something derogatory about the residents in a distant suburb, and these residents caught wind of it, using your argument, it's understandable that these residents now attack your house.

No, they are petty minded violent thugs. Murderers. I am not sure what sort of person it takes to think murder is understandable as retaliation to a damn movie.

You should reread what you're quoting.

I'm not saying these attacks are justified in any way

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

This attack was retaliation because of a US pastor in Florida who made a movie that looked at Islam and asked pointed questions / made accusations. The radical uneducated tools who constantly defile Islam by doing stuff like attacking an embassy and killing diplomatic staff is not blowback.

Hi Xcathdra,

I'm curious as to how you know this to be a fact. It is a remote possibility but highly doubtful in my opinion. There are many possibilities as to why this attack happened, but I do not find it likely that the US pastor in Florida being the reason.

My opinion is that the blowback theory is much more plausible than your proposed opinion. I'm not saying your wrong because it would be foolish of me to act like I know the official reason for the attack. Perhaps I missed something in the thread, but none of the links or posts I have read prove that this was done due to the Pastor you mentioned. If I missed the proof that has been provided please forgive me, but if there has been no proof, what causes you to believe this was not blowback but due to the Pastor in Florida instead?
edit on 12-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
My question is for Barrack ....

So, how's the support and indulgence of the Arab Spring working out for you? I say wee lead from behind - that is a good maxim.

Having participated in many operations in North Africa and Egypt - its working exactly as I expected it would. However, our "foreign policy expert POTUS" chose to get involved "for the good of the people of Libya and Egypt".

This is how people in the middle east respond to our help and assistance (weakness) - Mr. President, they don't appreciate it they exploit it and as soon as it suits them they will turn and bite the hand that feeds them.

They are not rational - they don't understand freedom of speech.

They cannot disassociate the movie made by a douche bag religious nut in the US from actual US government official actions. Nor do they want to.

We cannot deal with these people using compassion and understanding - they only understand strength and force.

I say turn Benghazi into an uninhabitable glass parking lot then dare the rest to do something similar.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

There are countless pieces of art depicting christ in an unchristian manner. Are you new?

Pisschrist for example. Let me count the deaths. umm, 0.

Mohammod in any light???

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

There are countless pieces of art depicting christ in an unchristian manner. Are you new?

Mohammod in any light???

And where did I say in this thread that it was okay? Please link my quote where I said their actions were justified. Stop putting words in my mouth.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
FYI.....

President Obama will "address the situation in Libya" at 10:35am EST.

And apparently Hillary Clinton will be there too.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Mohammod in any light???

And where did I say in this thread that it was okay? Please link my quote where I said their actions were justified. Stop putting words in my mouth.

You're saying it doesn't exist or if it did it would cause the same outrage.

Where?

Just hint at showing a cartoon of mohammod and you get people half way around the world threatening to kill people.

Every time...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Ok so lets sum this up a bit here. We have the anniversary of 9/11, we have Muslims killing / demonstrating anger at the US, anything sound familiar here? It should and it seems to be some kind of "coincidence" doesn't it? Washington needs to demand answers to this recent episode, they really need to step up to the plate and let the world know this will not be tolerated. Although I am not holding my breath. As I have replied in other threads on this subject perhaps it's time for some action against their "facilities" here. You know an eye for an eye.......

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
I say turn Benghazi into an uninhabitable glass parking lot then dare the rest to do something similar.
Yep, kill a bunch of innocent civilians caught in the middle. Sounds on par with a lot of bigotry I hear.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Foxnews just broke / confirmed the US Ambassador to Libya has been killed. 3 Staff members have also been killed and 1 other staff member was killed earlier. The State department has only confirmed the Ambassador and the 1 staff member.

While I am for religious toleration I am done with these pathetic cowards who defile their own religion in the name of Allah. They need to pull their heads out of their asses or we can do it for them. If the goal is to get the US out of the region attacking US personnel, including diplomatic staff now, will not do it.

Apparently they failed to understand attacking an embassy under intrnational law is an act of war. I say, since they declared it, we finish it.

Libya should be given a choice -
Either do your job in protecting our Embassy and our personnel, including tracking these cowards down and holding them accountible...

Or we will do it for them.

I need to find it but the US Embassy released a press release basically apologizing for the "anti Islam movie" that was made. I was stunned when the White House and the State Department publically stated that release was not the position of the US government.

* Some Reference links *
US State Department - Diplomatic Mission to Libya - Overview
U.S. Embassy - Libya
Statement by Secretary Clinton on Embassy Attack
US Ambassador to Libya dies in rocket attack in benghazi

The so called "monopoly of violence" is far gone in that country, everybody walks around with a Rpg launcher or an AK..And defiled their religion? even more than it already is? They defiled your sovereignty, i hope your administration retaliates and drops something heavy on those mofo's..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

I read that article earlier, how is it these people know about this film and the rest of the world knows nothing?

Plus I heard the riots were instigated and fueled and encouraged by social media once again.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon, nothing, it is a festering wound and it has been festering for centuries, and it has infected the whole planet.

No human is going to solve this.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Mohammod in any light???

You're saying it doesn't exist or if it did it would cause the same outrage.

Where?

Just hint at showing a cartoon of mohammod and you get people half way around the world threatening to kill people.

Every time...

And where did I ever say that I agree with what they do? 2 pages ago I was calling all religion "stupid books". Every religion has their nut cases. Golf66 that posted in this thread just a few minutes ago said he thinks the US should carpet bomb them.
edit on 12-9-2012 by TrueBlood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The US is sending troops to Lybia, Fox News is reporting.

So it begins...
edit on 12-9-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join