It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'US ambassador killed' in Libya protest - live updates

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
So this movie is an Israeli production? Yes or no.

If not, why are people blaming this on Israel? If so, why is the U.S. taking the heat for it?

Second thought, to any of you who claim this movie is offensive, perhaps consider how Christians feel when movies are made that bash Jesus. How about a little awareness that many here see is as perfectly fine to see our savior mocked and we are told to STFU, but all empathy is extended when the Muslims get offended. Any doing this a are hypocritics IMHO.

This story wouldn't be getting covered by MSM unless the world demands it. Even at that I wonder how quick they are going to try to make it disappear. The GOP's will keep it going.

It is the possible intentions behind the film I question, not necessarily the content. I wouldn't go as far as implicating Israel, but I'd like to know who had a large chunk of cash to throw around in order to fund it. It's a very simple argument.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

"With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

ETA - Shawn Smith (sp?) has been confirmed as one of the dead officials.

ETA2 - To clarify since some people are taking a term I use the wrong way.

Extremist Radical Zealots refers only to those people, of any religion, who are at the farthest extremes of their respective religion / beliefs and whose actions are not condoned by the whole of the respective religion. My terminology is NOT / does not refer to all members of a particular religion.

edit on 12-9-2012 by Xcathdra because: add clarification at end of my post

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Acidtastic

"With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
Some chains need to be broken. The chain will continue aslong as there are links in it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
During the Libyan press conference this morning it was asked if it could be confirmed that the 4 Americans had already been removed from the embassy and were killed outside, somewhere else. This wasnt confirmed or denied.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
CBS News has posted more "details".

As always with breaking news, this could be incorrect. But it confirms the info posted about Sean Smith.
(Emphasis mine)

Wanis al-Sharef, a Libyan Interior Ministry official in Benghazi, said the four Americans were killed when the angry mob, which gathered to protest a U.S.-made film that ridicules Islam's Prophet Muhammad, fired guns and burned down the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.

He said Stevens, 52, and other officials were moved to a second building, deemed safer, after the initial wave of protests at the consulate. According to al-Sharef, members of the Libyan security team seem to have indicated to the protesters the building to which the American officials had been relocated, and that building then came under attack.

And.....

Al-Sharef said two U.S. Marines sent to Benghazi when the clash erupted were shot and killed by the well-armed protesters. It was not immediately clear whether the Marines were part of Stevens' security detail. The American whose death was confirmed on Tuesday also died of a gunshot wound. He was identified by the State Department on Wednesday as Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith.
cbsnews.com

So it looks like it was the ambassador, an information management officer and 2 Marines.

ETA -
From another thread, here.

Originally posted by hakona
This obituary for one of the dead consulate staffers sheds a little more light on events, most notably:

(12:54:09 PM) vile_rat: assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures

edit on 12-9-2012 by OneisOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Don't know if you guys have seen, but there is pics of the ambassador, rather graphic.

vvv

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Pastor Terry Jones is as guilty of these four murders as if he himself had pulled the trigger!

Where Terry Jones goes riots and death follow!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

At this moment there are also about 18 people injured - according to multiple EU press releases.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by reficul

I guess then it's OK for Christians, Jews and almost every other religious group out there to go kill people then? Seeing that each of their prophets and gods have been mocked at one point or another?

I hope you realize how stupid you sound. Firstly, no one else acts this way in this day and age. We've all grown except for Islam.

Judaism is in 2012.
Christianity is in 2012.
Islam is in 1202.

That's bull. If someone made a video showing Jesus in the same light as this video did Muhmamad it would be pulled off youtube. Anything that questions Israel is already widely censored throughout the entire internet. No see you play by the rules unless you're the red headed step child.

Islam... Christianity....Judaism....Native American religions....African religions....

ALL are violent and contain violent passages..

The difference I see, and please people correct me if I am wrong (serious), is the majority of religions changed with the times where as extremists radical muslims who defile their own religion are stuck in a 9th century mentality loop.

There is nothing wrong where a religion requires men to grow beards, women to be covered up or required to pray 5 times a day.

Where it becomes an issue is when failure to comply becomes a crime against the state.

I wouldn't say Islam has completely refused to change with the times because it's the law and culture that is the problem and it is the law and culture that varies between Muslim state. The problem is Sharia Law (which is basically nothing more than an eye for an eye system) also changes based on state. So Muslim women may have more rights in one nation over another. Islam at it's very core is very similar to Christianity though. One of the main difference being that Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet (like Muhammad) and Chrisians believe Jesus to be the literal son of God. But the problem as to why people think Islam is a stone age religion is because the muslim nations themselves are stone age in many parts. It is the people running these countries that set the problems by their laws not the religion itself.

I can give you an example of this. If you were to take the bible the way it is now and give it to someone living in the year 1000 the book is not going to give them a computer or make them respect women. If the people running the country that you give the book to don't want those ideas for their people it won't happen and those ideas spread through the culture. What we have here is a problem of leadership in these countries where they refuse to adopt new ideas and this has spread into their culture through generations. The Koran doesn't cause this though. It is the fault of whichever Muslim state that you look at because they are all so different.

But I do not claim to be some expert in this subject. I am not Muslim. But I do know a little bit about the religion because to completely deny religion as I have you have to actually understand what it is that you're denying. But I'd also like to add here that Turkey is an example of a more progressive Islam nation.
edit on 12-9-2012 by TrueBlood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
A Libyan security official quoted by The Guardian said that the 'protests' in Cairo and Benghazi were coordinated and that someone was attempting to exacerbate instability in the country. This string of media stunts, such as the desecration of British WW2 graves and various attacks on Western targets involving firearms/explosives, one certainly gets the sense that someone is deliberately stirring up trouble.

I am reminded of a conversation that I had with a journalist in Libya early November last year. He had been in the country during the civil war but had returned to see how matters were progressing. At that time he was moving between Tripoli and Zawiya, where serious tribal conflict was taking place. He said that neither side had any real idea why they were fighting each other and that large numbers of people had received text messages from an unknown source goading them into violence. One message for example stated that a second uprising was planned and would begin in a matter of days. People suspected that they were being manipulated by 'hidden players' as one put it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
Pastor Terry Jones is as guilty of these four murders as if he himself had pulled the trigger!

Where Terry Jones goes riots and death follow!

He is defiantly a false prophet. A man using Christianity for evil.

He didn't set the bombs, but he does have blood on his hands. As he purposely inflamed those that did the bombings.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

A Libyan security official quoted by The Guardian said that the 'protests' in Cairo and Benghazi were coordinated and that someone was attempting to exacerbate instability in the country.

The movie is just an excuse. If people want to continue to believe that the movie is the main factor, they are missing out on the opportunity to discover the truth.

This event was planned.

2 cents

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Some comments from the local free press...

Al-Qaeda, CIA armed wing, sodomized and killed U.S. ambassador in Libya, creating an excuse for the final military intervention in Africa

The U.S. embassy in Benghazi was attacked by the mercenaries alqaedisti armed by NATO last year, and the U.S. ambassador to Libya has been sodomized before being killed by these terrorists, who had yesterday staged a protest against the offensive film against the Prophet Muhammad, who had been released in the U.S. a few days ago.

Al-Qaeda, CIA armed branch, sodomizing and killing the U.S. ambassador to Libya, is creating the pretext for U.S. final military intervention in Africa?

The American intelligence services have sacrificed, on 9/11 many years ago, thousands of their citizens to create an excuse for military intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq. Yesterday, 11/9, have they repeated the intelligence operation to clone the project in north Africa?

Do U.S./CIA hope to do the same in Syria? That ‘s why they arm terrorists and mercenaries of al-Qaeda in Syria?

We believe so, but history always reserves many surprises…

Video recorded from Syrian TV

Text by LibyanFreePress.net Network

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This makes me feel very nervous, yet I have read thread titles that lead me to think obama dropped the ball on this one. This is a direct slap in the face against the US, where do we go from here? Help me understand how serious this can be or will this just disappear?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Libya should be given a choice -Either do your job in protecting our Embassy and our personnel, including tracking these cowards down and holding them accountible...Or we will do it for them.
Just a pure speculation on my part here. Do you think Iran has anything to do with it along with Egypt as Algerian embassy is on alert as well. I am speculating that such incidents might divert the focus from Syria and/or Iran for a while.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
For the record, I'm watching the trailer to this video and even as someone that doesn't believe in religion I can see how it can be highly offensive. It makes a mockery of the entire islamic religion. We have freedom of speech and religion in this country, but respecting the beliefs of others goes a long way. I'm not saying these attacks are justified in any way, but I can see why people would be mad about this.

So you can justify this?

If I lived in your suburb and I made a video saying something derogatory about the residents in a distant suburb, and these residents caught wind of it, using your argument, it's understandable that these residents now attack your house.

No, they are petty minded violent thugs. Murderers. I am not sure what sort of person it takes to think murder is understandable as retaliation to a damn movie.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by bellagirl

Hopefully the US Marines guarding the Embassies got some rounds out before they were over run.

Nothing like the Religion of Peace and all, huh?

All Embassies should be fortified and ready for war, because it is coming.

That was my question, where were/are the Marines? Perhaps because it was a consulate they made do with private security? Risky, also, a consulate usually is not fortified. What a shame all this is, I was honestly shocked to see this headline. As a US citizen, and as a human being, I am alarmed at why a crowd kills a person who has nothing to do with what they are protesting... With all the derogatory depictions of America released by other countries and regimes, I cannot remember any kind of protest over such a thing, let alone killing someone who was not involved in the creation or approval of such material. Or, for that matter, even killing the person responsible.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
For all those still thinking this is about some film, why just Libya? Why isnt Saudi Arabia infuriated, Jordan? Egypt? Any other predominantly Muslim country? What about their embassies? Smelling a rat yet?

link   

edit on 9/12/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Soshh

A Libyan security official quoted by The Guardian said that the 'protests' in Cairo and Benghazi were coordinated and that someone was attempting to exacerbate instability in the country.

The movie is just an excuse. If people want to continue to believe that the movie is the main factor, they are missing out on the opportunity to discover the truth.

This event was planned.

2 cents
I think the movie was made to help create more tension. Of course that's just my opinion. Maybe the film was completely coincidental, but I highly doubt it.I'm positive the event was planned. Who took part in the planning is the real question.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join