It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mermaids of the Karoo. Myth of the Desert Mermaids.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Yes, I know, mermaids. Something straight out of folklore and old wives tales.

However I have always loved stories of old mythical creatures. The mermaid is up there with the best of them. We all have heard the stories of them in the sea, luring seaman to their watery grave.

This story is a bit different though.

The Karoo is a massive semi desert area in South Africa. It is divided into the Great Karoo and the Little Karoo. These areas where submerged under the sea about 250 million years ago, which caused it to have the huge mountain ranges and cave systems we see there today. It is in the Little Karoo where many locals have claimed to have seen a mermaid sitting at a mountain pool.

Now, the Little Karoo is also the home of the Khoi San people, also known as the Bushmen. These people have lived there for centuries, and can live and survive in a desert area forever. It is these San people that have recorded, like many tribes over the world, via their rock paintings, the images of strange fish tailed humanoids, as part of their mythology.

It could be argued that it is merely a symbol of the importance of water to them. But then the question arises, how or where did these bushman, living in such an arid area, ever see a fishtailed humanoid? It indicates that the myth of mermaids have been in their mythology for a long time.

Some argue that the pictures depict a swallow, which is also associated with rain and water. African folklore are full of images that are associated with water, which is understandable. However, these fish tailed images are rather unique in that regard, and the tales and stories that goes with it even more so.

There is a popular story still being told even today, of a local farmer near a place called Molensrivier. It goes that one day a bushman told this farmer a story of evil water spirits, lurking in mountain pools of Eseljagtspoort. It would take on the form of a woman, luring passersby and then drowning them in the pool.

I find it interesting that the people in such an arid desert like area, have tales of the legendary mermaids.

All a myth or not, I found the stories relating to these desert mermaids rather interesting.

vvv

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
First I have heard of this legend or seen the art - very interesting indeed. How old are these paintings? If fairly recent ie. Victorian times - could they not have depicted some of the white women hunters wearing victorian dress.

Here is a link to another African legend of the water Nyaminyami :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Yeah, I grew up in the Karoo mate. The area is full of these local legends.

As for the age of the paintings, it predates the Victorian era with quite alot. Exact age is hard to determine, but it is estimated that is thousands of years old.

vvv

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Don't the bush men eat red berries that numbs their mouth and makes them hallucinate? ....just saying....but, it could also be a now extinct human. Some thing we transformed from and eventually walked on land. .???

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Don't the bush men eat red berries that numbs their mouth and makes them hallucinate? ....just saying....but, it could also be a now extinct human. Some thing we transformed from and eventually walked on land. .???

The self-induced hallucination in indigenous people or "bush men" in this case, is misunderstood in our days. These practices are directed to reach a different state of mind (alpha?), in order to acquire knowledge beyond the physical plane. The information retrieved is always subject to diverse interpretations, and requires cosmogony and spirituality more than modern science knowledge.

Many of the ancient cultures practiced.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Try watching this series...covers the legend near the end of the docs...saw them a couple of weeks ago and found them very interesting...may not be myth afterall

Rest are here...www.youtube.com... 2..0i33l4.31069.31069.0.35419.1.1.0.0.0.0.301.301.3-1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.WY2Cz65xkVQ

edit on 12-9-2012 by Mythkiller because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Love this thread!! Thanks for posting. S+F

I have always been fascinated with mythical creatures. I have always wondered if mermaids (if they did in fact exist) were friendly beautiful signing creatures or like in the myth you mentionned, they were murderous creatures. This is interesting and i cant wait to read more on what others have to say about this.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

You are quite correct Trueman. The bushman used all types of things to go into trance like states. Some of it is still being used today, and grow like weeds all over the world. It was their favourite thing for using trance like states. I will not mention the name because of t and c's.

They used to in some cases to contact ancestors, and get guidance on the coming seasons, where they might find water or food. Remember they are mostly nomads, and travelled all over.

For a legend like this to be retold till this day, surely there must be a little bit of truth somewhere. Even if it is just the smallest grain of salt.

vvv

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

www.snopes.com...

That "documentary" is a joke.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by Trueman

You are quite correct Trueman. The bushman used all types of things to go into trance like states. Some of it is still being used today, and grow like weeds all over the world. It was their favourite thing for using trance like states. I will not mention the name because of t and c's.

They used to in some cases to contact ancestors, and get guidance on the coming seasons, where they might find water or food. Remember they are mostly nomads, and travelled all over.

For a legend like this to be retold till this day, surely there must be a little bit of truth somewhere. Even if it is just the smallest grain of salt.

vvv

Yes brother, we talk about the same. I agree also about the problem to mention names of the "things" used by other cultures to reach that state of mind. Sadly, our intoxicated minds can't accept the pure concept and purpose of this substances provided by Mother Earth, without elaborating morbid thoughts.

During my time in South America I had a few experiences with some of them. Over there all that is considered natural and even more, medicinal and legally sale. Unfortunately here we hit the wall created by "white man medicine" mafia (no offense).

If you have interest in this topic, maybe wanna take a look in this thread I made few days ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Very interesting. Not only because the topic itself, not only for the topic itself, but because it shows that the myths of mermaids (or similar creatures) are characteristic for almost all nations. Which brings us to the question - is it possible some kind of water mammal to has characteristics resembling human? Maybe some kind of water primate or something.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Interesting story alrighth. I think they are paint actual representations of what they did see. The question is then did they see the mermaids in a dream and record their images on the cave wall, or did they really see a real mermaid creature while fully awake. I believe most myths are true and that the story tellers told the stories the best way they could not having access to the body of scientific awareness we all have access to these these days. I wonder if these mermaids are still around? Mabey they come from Atlantis. Who says that Altansis had to be a land city mabey it was a city populated by amphiboious type humanoids who could still be around today living in deep water cave systems.

top topics

join