It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS pays whistleblower $104 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
SIAP I did a search and didn't find any reference to this story. This story has some unusual aspects that should be examined. The fact that Bradley Birkenfeld was prosecuted but in turn was awarded such a large sum of money is not completely strange, but it may point to some underlying issues the public is not privy to.

First, the government threw Bradley Birkenfeld in prison for helping a former client at UBS AG hide his wealth from the Internal Revenue Service. Now, as part of the same case, the IRS has awarded the former banker $104 million — yes, million — for helping expose the widespread tax evasion scheme by the Swiss banking behemoth.

Birkenfeld, 47, served 31 months of a 40 month prison sentence after pleading guilty in 2008 to a count of conspiracy to defraud the U.S. related to his work for UBS. The Justice Department said Birkenfeld did not reveal his own misconduct in helping a client, a charge his attorneys say is not true. As Birkenfeld entered prison in 2010, he called his treatment an injustice, saying, "I'm a proud American who did the best I could for my country and this is how they reward me." His time was cut short for good behavior in prison and "they did not take one minute off his sentence" for his cooperation with the IRS on the UBS case, Kohn said.
Considering the amnesty program the IRS installed which allowed offenders to pay back monies illegally withheld you have to wonder whether government officials were concerned that maybe Birkenfeld would implicate names that some didn't want to be public. This isn't to say this is the absolute truth, but one has to wonder about the 180 in regards to how the U.S. government rewarded Mr. Birkenfeld with such a large reward.It is my opinion that if you applied to such a program and you are in an official government position then that information should be disclosed to the public. You could almost be certain there have been government officials who have participated in this program over the past couple of years.CNBC
edit on 12-9-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

31 months for whistle blowing.

104 million severance package.

Where do I sign up?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

So TPTB were "forced" to imprison him but gave him $103 million as their way of saying sorry friend, no hard feelings.

edit on 12-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Slap on the wrist, for exposing corruption.

Thats one hell of a paycheck, and I would think ANYONE would love to serve 30 some odd months, to get paid like this. As long as you KNOW you are getting paid.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
For 104 million I'd do 2 1/2 years in a supermax prison with the general population. It may be dangerous but you have to weigh risk versus reward. You could virtually buy your safety.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by GD21D

31 months for whistle blowing.

104 million severance package.

Where do I sign up?

Yes...If you are a BANKSTER, eg. a non-human, you get this from IRS (and a hug) ---->

that is, if you snitch on some other financial scum-bag.

For those in life whom never want to lose in any game, the game of banskter is the ultimate.

Why work like honest Joe, when you can become a bankster, buy the local politicians, bankrupt Honest Joe, bankrupt anyone defending him and ultimately ruin the community or even the entire nation of US.

Ahhh...This is the worst of times and yet the best of times...The sheep soundly asleep, the wolves can eat as much as they want, every day of the year.

Corruption at its finest.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The whistle he blew is exposing a much larger sum of money owed to the IRS that I assume they will pursue. From what I understand it also resulted in close to an 800 million dollar fine on the bank itself.

The payout, while too large in my opinion, is getting the word out there to other would be whistle blowers that if you expose this kind of fraud there is in fact a just reward.

Hopefully this will bring more whistle blowers out of the woodwork and expose bilions in fraud to be recovered and put these banksters back in line...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The original thread is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The old search function was so much better.

You could actually find threads.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
The original thread is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The old search function was so much better.

You could actually find threads.

I am so confused....

You posted a link to THIS thread, was there one prior to this as well?

top topics

join