It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parisian flat containing €2.1 million painting lay untouched for 70 years.........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Please forgive me if this has been posted before.......

Many of you know that I am a great lover of anything retro, vintage and antique....

I love to rummage through charity/opportunity/thrift/antique shops to find magical bargains....

But when I came across this story today I was blown away........

A Mrs de Florian never returned to her Paris flat after the war and died at the age of 91 in 2010. Behind the door, under a thick layer of dust lay a treasure trove of turn-of-the-century objects including a painting by the 19th century Italian artist Giovanni Boldini.

Entering the untouched, cobweb-filled flat in Paris’ 9th arrondissement, one expert said it was like stumbling into the castle of Sleeping Beauty, where time had stood still since 1900.....

I would have been in so much awe and wonder if I had been the first one through the door............Amazing.........

Looking at years of history in just one place................

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

cool, it is like a old treasure chamber. what a bon bon.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

A real time machine her home is. I want the ostrich so bad. That Mickey Mouse could probably feed a family of 8 for a year. What a delightful woman she must have been. Just peering into her life is a real treat.

ETA: OMG...that's an original Porky Pig sitting next to Mickey.....

Des

edit on 12-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
In it's day her home must have been incredibly beautiful. Even with the dust and decay, it glows. How sad she passed with no one to leave it all to, who would have loved it as she did.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Did she love it? She never returned to it for over 50 years. Perhaps memories there were too much for her after the war.

I think this is fascinating. A time capsule. How the hell can a flat be left vacant for half a century? Boggles my mind that people can leave things like that, as they become just another facade among many in an old old street.

It's easy to think the room looks like an old fashioned room, like any we can replicate today... but the dust, the air, everything in there would have been filled with energy from a life time ago...

blows my mind to think what I'd have felt finding that..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

A real time machine her home is. I want the ostrich so bad. That Mickey Mouse could probably feed a family of 8 for a year. What a delightful woman she must have been. Just peering into her life is a real treat.

ETA: OMG...that's an original Porky Pig sitting next to Mickey.....

Des

edit on 12-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Hi Des, Yeah the Mickey Mouse doll, now that must be worth a few quid even though I would just want to keep it......blows me away whenever I look at it.............awesome...........

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
In it's day her home must have been incredibly beautiful. Even with the dust and decay, it glows. How sad she passed with no one to leave it all to, who would have loved it as she did.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

Hi Iamschist,

Yeah, even with all the dust and grime from years passed the apartment appears to be so glorious.......I wonder what happened to all the belongings in the end?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Amazing, and to think this apartment was not sacked during the war.
A true find and such beauty.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
reply to post by Iamschist

Did she love it? She never returned to it for over 50 years. Perhaps memories there were too much for her after the war.

I think this is fascinating. A time capsule. How the hell can a flat be left vacant for half a century? Boggles my mind that people can leave things like that, as they become just another facade among many in an old old street.

It's easy to think the room looks like an old fashioned room, like any we can replicate today... but the dust, the air, everything in there would have been filled with energy from a life time ago...

blows my mind to think what I'd have felt finding that..

Yeah winofiend, I wish that I could have been the first one through the door..........just amazing how these place can go unnoticed all these years...........I presume she must have been pretty wealthy, she owned the place so I suppose nobody would enter if they had no reason to.................I bet the mail was piling up...haha

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Very very cool. Though I will say, I expected much more dust and cobwebs and perhaps damage. That's a long time without any maintenance.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

How about everything is sold - to governments. The antiques can go to a museum and the money can feed and provide shelter for the homeless somewhere???? It's a win win solution.

Is it just me that thinks like this??

Much Peace...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

How about everything is sold - to governments. The antiques can go to a museum and the money can feed and provide shelter for the homeless somewhere???? It's a win win solution.

Is it just me that thinks like this??

Much Peace...

No, that sounds like a good plan to me Amanda.................but I presume that the items in the flat legally go to some member of the family, whoever is alive at the time, but I don't think I am part of her family, unfortunately..........................cheers

top topics

join