It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney 'Outraged' Over Obama 'Sympathy' for Embassy Attackers

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Anyhow, Romney was behind..and seemingly would need something impressive to pull ahead of Obama.
This event pretty much sunk any chance of him. Now then, time to focus on congress/house. Will Boehner still be speaker, or will we be seeing a california gal retake the seat is the question. How big of a bomb did Mitt drop on his party.

So far, the republicans have stepped away..so it might be sinking only the presidential boat, but never know...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

This post deserves its own thread. It is a post review and perhaps the moment when Mitt lost the election, or solidified his paper quality amongst independents.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, some people on this site REALLY believe that the President should have overreacted to the protests and "pulled our diplomats out" before "knowing" it was going to escalate?

So we're supposed to run and hide every single time people get crazy outside the gates of our embassies in every third world country we are in? No. We CANNOT predict that they will storm in and kill people. In history this hasn't happened that much in comparison to how many times there has been protests.

It's a gamble that these Diplomats take when they take the job.

If we show fear, it will happen more. We have to stand our ground, not overreact, and move forward.

Don't blame the President for some extremists actions in some third world country. He cannot police the entire world 24/7!

What the President CAN DO is react appropriately, and not give the terrorists what they want...which is to withdraw our Diplomats every time they threaten us. Romney IS NOT READY to lead this country on the level that is needed now. If he wants to be economic adviser on how to sell jobs overseas, and cheat your taxes...then yeah, HE'S HIRED! President? Not a chance.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Romney is being called out by members of his own party among others for politicizing and jumping the gun, deliberately mixing up statements from the White House - claiming statements issued well in advance of the attack were made in response to the attack. He has been caught lying again, trying to create a false appearance. Romney is the one in trouble.

What I find pathetic is this whole mess was instigated by a pastor (Dove World Outreach - Terry Jones) who decided he wanted to host a Koran burning. (And this same guy burns effigies of our President.)

Instead of being soundly trounced and silenced for unAmerican proselytizing, and warmongering, he still operates a church, doesn't pay taxes and gained a bunch of supporters from the GOP.

America was founded on the premise of Religions Freedom. We pride ourselves on being the best of people from all over the world, a melting pot of ideas and religions making it work. This isn't making it work.

To blaspheme Islam and burn the Holy Book rather than condemn the extremists terrorist factions who claim to be Muslim - is unspeakable, counter productive. It resembles terrorist tactics of an extremist. That is NOT honoring religious freedom. It is making your religion supreme in the land and starting a holy war against another.

I think that pastor is a patsy an instigator to assure hatred and misconception and make sure there is no peace. I have heard from Israelis, most of THEM want peace with the Palestines BUT there are those few working hard to prevent it. A small faction in Israel who do not want peace and will not allow peace talks to take place. Won't even allow it to happen. If the two opposing sides start to come together and think about peace, they throw a bomb in the mix. Their job is to be repulsive, outrageous, horrible and get everyone hating each other again.

We have seen these types before.
The Westborough Baptist preacher - another PLANT.
They are in place to start a war.

Clearly a war is front and center on some powerful folks agenda...and I think we can narrow it down.

edit on 12-9-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Wow could your post be any more wrong if you tried.You really have to stay off the left wing sites when getting your information.Had nothing to do with the pastor in fact the movie excuse is rather ify but that was the original intent of the gathering.And now for Romney ive been all over the net hate to tell you alot of people think Romney is right First this isnt the first attack on that consulate.Yet only after someone is killed did he send marines. Second the state department was aware of this threat even before it occured but no safety precautions were taken only an apology was released from the embassy which later Obama denied they made.And if he had developed a middle eastern policy and actually tried to help syrians after form there new government then Al Qaeda wouldn't have been able to move back into .

So your damn right Obama screwed up on his foreign policy here.In factive supported him in the past it has ended now he needs to go.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Wow could your post be any more wrong if you tried.You really have to stay off the left wing sites when getting your information.Had nothing to do with the pastor in fact the movie excuse is rather ify but that was the original intent of the gathering.And now for Romney ive been all over the net hate to tell you alot of people think Romney is right First this isnt the first attack on that consulate.Yet only after someone is killed did he send marines. Second the state department was aware of this threat even before it occured but no safety precautions were taken only an apology was released from the embassy which later Obama denied they made.And if he had developed a middle eastern policy and actually tried to help syrians after form there new government then Al Qaeda wouldn't have been able to move back into .

So your damn right Obama screwed up on his foreign policy here.In factive supported him in the past it has ended now he needs to go.

With all due respect I beg to differ with you. I have a lot of friends who feel the same way and you seem to forget we are sharing the country. It's not your way or the high way.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
There's NO excuse for the attacks. But when the "filmmaker" knowingly provokes people, as Tw0Sides said, "It's blowback". Sure, we can legally say just about whatever we want, but if you tell a man that his wife is a dirty whore, knowing how he will react, you kinda deserve what you get, even though you were legally in the right.

Hello BH,

is it I just me or is there indeed a glaring case of you contradicting yourself, right there in this post of yours? "No excuse", then wait, you asked for it, there, so there is an excuse.

I think you are mighty confused yourself.

And the people killed didn't call anybody names, didn't make any sort of movie or anything for that matter.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

May I make some suggestions to help you be more persuasive?

Instead of being soundly trounced and silenced for unAmerican proselytizing, and warmongering, he still operates a church, doesn't pay taxes and gained a bunch of supporters from the GOP.
See, here you make a fatal mistake. Americans (and American doesn't mean which country you happen to be residing in, but your heart and spirit. It involves freedom, liberty, American "values," etc.) don't like the idea of one of their own being "silenced." That belief is in the heart of any one who is an American, as I used it. "Silencing," belongs in the Communist world, or the Islamic, not in a free world, or in America.

Calling for the silencing of an American is akin to a wolf disguised as a sheep, coming into a flock and saying "I think you should let yourselves be eaten by wolves." The sheep know he may look like a sheep, and be in the sheep flock, but he's not a sheep.

I don't see any way you can rectify that error. It killed your post.

The next thing you want to check for is that your statements should bear some resemblance to the things people already know. You've got a couple of problems here. One is the idea that Terry Jones was the one responsible for the attacks. First, by American media time, he hasn't been in the news for ages. Second, the chant at the Embassy in Egypt, the chant was "Obama, Obama, there are a billion Osamas." If they had said there were a billion Terry Jones, you might have had a point. Third, there is no indications in chants, signs or statements that Jones was the problem.

Here's the second problem you've got.

America was founded on the premise of Religions Freedom. We pride ourselves on being the best of people from all over the world, a melting pot of ideas and religions making it work.
We've heard about Dearbornistan. We've seen Islamic enclaves created and separating from the country there in all over Europe. We know that Islam doesn't want to be melted into the American culture, it wants, eventually, to control it.

There are more problems with other portions of your post, but let's start there. You need a new approach if you're going to persuade any American (see above) to adopt your views. Heck, you're going to need a new approach to persuade anyone you are an American. (Again, using the description above.)

edit on 12-9-2012 by charles1952 because: Add a sentence.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
And now for Romney ive been all over the net hate to tell you alot of people think Romney is right

Like whom?

Do you happen to have any links or statements or anything empirical to support that claim?
Or are you just talking about your personal friends?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Dear queenannie38,

You know I'd do anything for you, so here's a start:

Yes, Romney’s criticism last night was tough, but the embassy’s statement was indefensible. If that wasn’t obvious enough, the White House made it obvious by refusing to defend it. Was Romney supposed to get up this morning and back off or apologize for his criticism after the White House itself implicitly criticized the release? What is clearly going on here is that, as far as the press is concerned, anything Romney does is wrong.

www.nationalreview.com...#

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney told it like it is regarding the demonstrations and protests in Egypt by saying that President Barack Obama had an apologetic tone when making statements about the Middle East unrest. He portrayed the president as being weak on foreign policy in general in the face of the uprisings. (Emphasis added)

detroit.cbslocal.com...

MSM was furious with Mitt Romney today after he issued a strongly-worded condemnation of the state department's initial apology and today criticized the Obama administration for attempting to placate our attackers. Romney didn't apologize. He condemned. More importantly, he led. It was a move that shamed President Obama by comparison.

www.washingtontimes.com...

"I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi," Romney said in a spot-on response. "It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." (Emphasis added)

news.investors.com...

Conservative foreign policy hawks, outraged at the media’s circle-the-wagons reaction to the attacks on two embassies, are speaking out in defense of Mitt Romney.

Former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton tells Right Turn:”The perception of American weakness that provided the foundation for these attacks is largely because of Obama administration mistakes and lack of resolve. A repetition of 1979 in Tehran is nor fetched, especially given the weakness of Obama’s statement this morning.” He dismisses the media storyline as pure boosterism: “The press criticism of Romney’s statement is so clearly at the administration’s behest that they are giving lapdogs a bad name.”

www.washingtonpost.com... agebreak

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Romney's gleeful smirk in announcing the deaths of Americans.

This is Mitt Romney immediately after giving his poorly thought out statement to the press blaming the Obama administration for “sympathiz(ing) with those who waged the attacks.” Notice anything odd about him? Does that look like a man who just expressed disgust at the loss of American lives in Libya? Does he look disturbed that the President of the United States is supposedly taking the side of the Libyan rioters that killed them? Is that the face of a man who feels the weight of the responsibility of leadership in times of crises?

Not even a little.

This is the smile of a man who thinks he just landed a roundhouse in a political boxing match. This is the smile of a man who is using the death of Americans to score cheap political points. This is the smile of a man who couldn’t keep a smirk off his face long enough to be in private over his supposed “victory” that has turned into a debacle. This is the smile of a man who, literally, cares more about his campaign than the death of an American ambassador and several of his staff.

It’s one thing for the left to say that Mitt Romney is cold and indifferent to other people’s suffering. It’s quite another to see him smiling over how useful the deaths of others has been to him. This is not the face of the leader of a nation, this is the face of a sociopath, incapable of empathy or compassion. This is the real Mitt Romney and it’s a picture that every person in the country should see.
(source)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JRockABM

So, you don't think being that it was the anniversary of 9/11 and they knew about these protests, it would have been nice to maybe have them go to the Embassy in Tripoli for the day where there were 18 Marines on duty?

Better to not overreact and leave them at the consulate in Beghazi with no military protection?

Wow...that's nice of you.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JRockABM

Another thing...do you happen to remember what happened with Carter, Iran and the hostages.....not many people learning from history these days.
edit on 13-9-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
so let me get this straight. A film maker from America used an alias name on the movie then released it on 911 in the middle east and they cant find him? Isn't this getting too obvious for some people?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Even I "grimace" when I am upset...it is a coping mechanism...

Take some psychology classes.

Plus you once again post from a Liberal website and the "journalist"

calls himself "Filthy Liberal Scum".

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Could it be because when he made his first statement the State department didnt release information about the deaths. He was simply pointing out in his original statement that the embassy apologizing for a film they had no control of was inappropriate.And Obamas weak foreign policy has weakened the nation in the eyes of our enemy.

Now go back and look at the time line of romneys statement obviously the president must have agreed with Romney he immediately issued a statement saying he didnt approve the message the embassy released. By the way i worked in embassies before this is just a flat out lie.The state department must approve all public releases. So then the president issues a statement condemning the violence although still an apology in there in a way. Then they find out about the deaths again instead of condemning the violence he immediately attacks Romney with it .He believed that by making it look like Romney jumped the gun and should have stayed quite somehow he was supposed to have known Americans died.Then he offers his statement to the families and again says that Obama caused this with poor choices. And finnally Obama says we will find the ones who did this and bring them to justice.

Whats my major problem with Obama he didnt handle this with anything but politics and used it to attack Romney insted of trying to show will to resolve the situation.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Dear Blackmarketeer,

I do believe I prefer your own writing to this guy's, but maybe it was easier and still accurate for you. No real complaint.

But don't you think he's reaching a little too far to draw those conclusions? The writer calls it a smirk, from the picture, it could have been a smile or a grin, or something else.

I don't know (because I haven't dug up the tape) what was said by the audience just as he was leaving. I don't know what was said to him from off-stage. I don't even know what Romney's final words were. If he had finished with something like "America is great, and though we've been dealt a blow, we can come back stronger, better, and more resolute in our desire to defend our freedoms." Heck, I would have been smiling.

And how can we know what the thoughts were behind the smile. We all know there are unflattering pictures of every politician, even our President, that makes them look like child molesters, maniacs, or serial killers.

I kind of wish you hadn't used that source, it's just too hard to believe. But you're a better judge of what you want to say than I am, so speak as you will.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

And to you also.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Here are some timelines.

How accurate are they?

Here is a partial timeline of events. All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST), 6 hours earlier than Cairo time.

5:50AM - Cairo Embassy publishes a statement on its website which rejects those who "abuse" free speech. This is a reference to an anti-Islam film, portions of which have been broadcast on TV in Arabic. The entire speech is tweeted out line by line on the Embassy account.

1:42PM - The Associated Press tweets word of an attack on the Cairo Embassy. The US flag is pulled down and replaced with a black Islamic flag.

5:28PM - Cairo Embassy tweets out three defensive comments, the last of which doubles down on the initial statement. It reads "3) Sorry, but neither breaches of our compound or angry messages will dissuade us from defending freedom of speech AND criticizing bigotry." To this point there has been no comment, tweet, or statement defending free speech, only the statement/tweet criticizing those who abuse it.

7:00-7:20PM - The Embassy puts out another tweet tripling down on their initial statement. "This morning's condemnation (issued before the protests began) still stands. As does our condemnation of unjustified breach of the Embassy." This tweet is later deleted.

8:06PM - AP reports an attack on the US Embassy in Benghazi, Libya has resulted in one death and one injury.

10:09PM - The Romney camp sends out a brief statement which reads, "I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi. It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." The statement is embargoed until midnight.

10:10PM - Politico reports an unnamed Obama administration official is disavowing the statement posted on the US Embassy website, claiming it was unauthorized. No explanation is offered why the embassy was still pushing it as of 7PM.

~10:25PM - The Romney camp sends out another email ending the embargo on its statement.

10:38-10:56PM - On the State Dept. Twitter feed, Hillary condemns the attack in Libya and confirms the death of an unnamed "officer" in Libya. One of the final tweets of the night reads "#SecClinton on the attack in #Libya: Let me be clear -- there is never any justification for violent acts of this kind." However, two other tweets mixed in with her reaction to Libya reaffirm a commitment to religious tolerance and denouncing "any intentional effort to denigrate the beliefs of others."

11:40PM-11:50PM - The Cairo Embassy deletes six tweets, including the one about "abuse" of free speech, one about hurting Muslims feelings, and the one tripling down on the initial statement (7:00PM). They do not delete two unobjectionable tweets which were at the heart of the morning press release. The latter of these echoes Hillary's statement about religious tolerance. The Embassy has effectively scrubbed the offending statements while retaining a portion which the Secretary has embraced.
Timeline: Obama Admin Took 16 Hours to Disavow Embassy Apology

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join