It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Inexpensive medium for storing large amounts of heat, or cold.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Dig beneath the frost line anywhere in the world. The temperature will remain at 58 degrees year round.

The most "inexpensive medium" for storing heat? It's called WATER.

The Earth already has a huge heat sink. In fact the biggest heat sink IN THE WORLD. It's called the OCEANS. They moderate the temperature of the world. Without the oceans it would be burning hot in the daytime and freezing cold at night, worldwide. You know, like the Moon or Mercury.

Duh.

This is retarded.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Have you looked into Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)? These work by collecting heat from the outside air (even below freezing as anything above 0K has some heat in it) and working almost like a reverse refrigerator. In the summer, some can be run in reverse to take the heat out of the property.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Thank you all for your replies

And sure, I know you can't really store cold. I'm just trying to convey an idea. Semantically speaking

the main thrust Would be to build a small complex of Greenhouses with extended growing seasons.
I'd like to peel off the warmth in the winter by circulating the heat through cement floors, with raised beds for growing my food. And maybe enough for others.
And a large central Aquarium for fish farming. Probably built inside a Geodesic dome style.complex of buildings.
A large, mulihundred gallon " pond in each building.

The daylight might be extended with low power consumption lamps, only used in the evening. to add some growing time to each day.. Either solar or windmills. This location might do better with windmills. Seeing as there are lots of overcast days.

I know you can already buy mini ecosystems like this.. Fish farm gardens, so to speak.
I'm just thinking on a grander scale.

Of course the cold storage would just be used to cool the home, and maybe an advanced root cellar.

Could be costly really. What I'm reading from most of you is that long term heat storage might be the biggest issue, Pea gravel? Smaller pieces would mean less air pockets, correct? heavy sand? Like black sand?

One item I do have on the property is an outdoor woodstove. It heats water, which is pumped into the central heating system of the family house...Which is then blown throughout the house..and pushed into the water heater, It's my father's, and it works pretty well. I suppose I could use that as backup. Just have to keep it stoked. The wood would cost me nothing but elbow grease, and axe sharpener, gasoline to cut and transport.
OH, and aspirin for the lower back.

Composting could also generate warmth..Just not a lot..Unless it was a big pile of BS, like our political system.

I'm going to think about it after I get some sleep, and maybe we can toss around more ideas.

Sounds like a lot o $$$ might be involved.

And remember no idea is a stupid one , especially if it's mine..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

no, I have not...But it's now on my list of things to read during my upcoming vacation. thanks!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

no, I have not...But it's now on my list of things to read during my upcoming vacation. thanks!

Although I have just realised you said 'inexpensive'. They are fairly expensive.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I can't fit an ocean on my property. And I think there are denser materials that might retain heat for longer periods of time,
And, as I write this reply, and am sure there are many things that are much denser that might store heat, but might not be good for much else.. Retardation is something else I am looking for. The retardation of temperature exchange, except when I want it to occur. Thank you for your inspiration. I look forward to more.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

If there were some sort of ROI it might not be out of the question.. We're just brainstorming here.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Here's an idea for keeping ice/cooling. fourmileisland.com... I imagine you could do something similar with boiling water instead of ice?!?!?!???? and have a "hot box"
edit on 12-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just saying, production on demand is less wasteful and cheaper than storage.

So to looking for more efficent means to produce what we need will be the best solution.

All forms of energy are transitional therfor storage is a losing battle from the start.

Yes I understand you wish to store free energy. But the costs to even get close to a functional system will far outweigh the benifits.

What we need is to be able to convert the type energy available at the given time to the type energy we wish to use. That would be awesome.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Have you heard of French innovator Jean Pain and his compost based bio-energy system ? It could be of use to you if you have access to some excess bio-mass.

I had a rummage around on YouTube and found this video .....

. He heated water to 60 degrees celsius at a rate of 4 litres a minute which he used for washing and heating. He also distilled enough methane to run an electricity generator, cooking elements, and power his truck. This method of creating usable energy from composting materials has come to be known as Jean Pain Composting, or the Jean Pain Method.

Worth a look .

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
proffesionals use molten salt, but easier and cheaper is mass, rocks or gravel, and water or veggy oil.

Here is a good example, combined with a large Stirling:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Good example as well!!

Still almost get angry seeing we have this (and other) solutions already for decades, but greed, power and control always seem to win...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
A maxwell demon can do that for you. Have been following this for almost a year now: quentron.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
OP, any medium you store energy in will at some point lose that energy. With geothermal, there are loops buried in the ground..some are horizontal, some are vertical. The idea is by use of a pump, you constantly move water, and as this water transits through the ground, it either dissipates or acquires heat consistently.
A more well thought idea would be if you could generate the electricity required to run the blower, compressor, and pumps..now that would be more like energy for free...literally.
I know of people who have either solar panels, or wind mills that do just that..provide electricity for their geothermal that is:

a. heating the house
b. cooling the house
c. providing hot water
d. providing heat for infloor heat applications

and more...

Geo is no doubt the most efficient "green" method today. I'm sure at some point, something better may come along.

These are my experiences...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Why didn't you ask someone with knowledge of physics.

If you are looking for a storage medium for heat you can't beat water. Yes plain old water.
It holds the largest amount of heat for a given volume. Plus it's cheaper than dirt. literally.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Why didn't you ask someone with knowledge of physics.

If you are looking for a storage medium for heat you can't beat water. Yes plain old water.
It holds the largest amount of heat for a given volume. Plus it's cheaper than dirt. literally.

Have you bought an acre of ground lately? Come to Illinois..it's about $6500 an acre.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Water has been mentioned many times..and I agree that it is a good method to store.
but I want this to be big...and underground. Storage tanks might be expensive, but then again insulation materials could be costly too.

There is supposed to be natural gas under there too..It could be usable. IF, I could get someone to drill...Seems they are told by "someone" when hey cant and can't drill or natural gas.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

There is a lot of biomass available. Wood, Leaves, lots of leaves it's a deciduous forest.
Thanks for the video!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

We use a lot of Geo out here in Nevada. The water even ends up containing lithium when pumped to the evaporation ponds. Imagine that. Electricity, and stuff to store it..Out of the same hole..

Still reading folks...I'll try to respond to everyone.

edit on 12-9-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I subbed to this guy on youtube recently. If what you're after is to be found then he'll know about it.

www.youtube.com...

I love his fresnel lenses and parabolic mirrors. And starting fires with water. Awesome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join