Mohamed al Zawahiri proposes peace plan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Just how is Mr Zawahiri going to enforce this guarantee? What about Iran? Does he speak for them too?
Somehow I don't really see it,nice thought though.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I think the Zawaharis have considerable influence in the recuiting network for Islmaic soldiers. There is anti-Americanism throughout the Middle East, but most never get to the point where they are ready to take up arms or conduct a mission.

Al-Qaeda provides a central authority and a worldwide brand to reassure potential militants that their cause is worthwhile. If this group were to tell jihadists to hold off on attacking for 10 years, there would be significantly less risk a successful terror plot on the west.

Speculation, but I'd venture to guess there is some relationship between the Islamic government of Iran and those that wish to attack the west. They have been known to support Hezbollah. They share a border with Afghanistan, where Al Qaeda is known to be active.
edit on 9/11/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
He is making a gesture yes but who will tell us about the ones who won't.Does he also include Hamas and the rest of the boys?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

You're right, but it works both ways.

Hamas and Hezbollah are more regional threats than international. Attacks like 9/11 and London are Al Qaeda. So by negotiating peace with them we eliminate our primary threat.

Just like how if Obama were to entertain this idea and sign it, the US would move out of Arabia but other countries might not.

By the way, there is absolutely no chance that this proposal amounts to anything. They are asking for the release of known terrorists, and their promises are not trustworthy.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
All they want is a 10 year truce.... screw that. The terms would be fine if it was a real peace offer. This 10 year truce crap is just to buy them some breathing room. I bet most these guy's have nightmares about U.S. drones and would like a good night's sleep, that's all this is for them a ruse to rebuild and start the war agian.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
well ... it could just mean that they're ready to go to war
As i recall something similiar happened with Hitler and Poland just before the WW2 (?)

The thing is that the demands are unreal and the fact is that they're just a group of extremists even in the Islam world just as the West has it's own extremists. One group that has enemies on every side can't demand something for billions of people.

P.S.: sorry for my English

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
He is NOT a peaceful man.

Weekly Standard - Zawahiris Brother At Cairo Embassy Assault

During the assault on the U.S. embassy in Egypt, demonstrators reportedly chanted “Obama! Obama! We are all Osama!” They yelled this obvious reference to Osama bin Laden as an al Qaeda-style flag was hoisted and the American flag brought down. At least one of the protesters at the anti-American rally knows a thing or two about al Qaeda: Mohammed al Zawahiri, who is the younger brother of al Qaeda’s emir, Ayman al Zawahiri.

Mohammed al Zawahiri has even claimed credit for sparking the anti-American protest. “We called for the peaceful protest joined by different Islamic factions including the Islamic Jihad (and the) Hazem Abu Ismael movement,” he said, according to CNN. Islamic Jihad is most likely the Egyptian Islamic Jihad (EIJ), a core part of al Qaeda’s international jihadist coalition.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join