It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The only way in which any sort of sandwich can be considered rascist is in the mind of someone who is obsessed with race.

The sandwich is an inanimate object with no thoughts feelings or prejudices.

That kids, means that the "official" who made this statement has exposed themselves as a rascist and should indeed be excoriated for harboring such thoughts, much less making a public statement of them in an official capacity. This person needs to be immediately fired and replaced with someone who not only does not believe in such antiquated nonsense, but has the communication skills so obviously lacking in this person, to be able to explain to the children what happened in an approriate manner so as to begin to repair the damage that has been done by having them exposed to such rascist beliefs for who knows how long.

Good god, I wonder how many of the strikers in ORD agree with this pedestrian prejudice?
edit on 12-9-2012 by Idahomie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This just in: Socks and sandals, a new method of knowing whether someone is a homophobe.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yngvarr
More twisted liberal logic.
Maybe, just maybe these Somalis, Mexicans, etc.
would assimilate, the PB&J wouldn't seem so "racist."

liberal logic?? i don't know any liberals that think like that, or even talk like that...it sounds like somebody is trying to justify their job

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RustynailsK

My husband wears socks with his sandles

He also likes my peanut butter sandwiches.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I cannot stand collard greens,so therefore I must be racist.I guess I shouldn't order french fries any more,cause that would be racist.And don't even think of serving me Polish sausage with sour-kraut,that would be doubly offensive.When will the madness end?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This just in: Those who use the word "racist" are racist. Oh #...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I *think* what this principle was trying to say (in a poor fashion) was the idea that children from all backgrounds need to see themselves/their heritages reinforced within the classroom setting.

This typically means including the study/norming of different cultures through the use of diverse classroom materials. For instance, if you are teaching a lesson that necessitates the use of a picture book, make sure that the book you're using is reflective of the cultural diversity in the classroom. (As opposed to using materials that feature only a single-- typically Caucasian-- cast of characters.) It's ENORMOUSLY beneficial for students, especially young children, to see themselves reflected in the materials the teacher is using.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, I think this principle was trying to express that idea in a way that sounds pretty ridiculous. I think he was trying to say that using the example of a PB+J in a classroom can be problematic in a diverse classroom--if it is always the only example used, and that it would be better to use many different examples of ethnically diverse food so that children who don't eat PB+J will also feel normed/included in the classroom discussion.

I really, REALLY hope that he doesn't think PB+J is just a racist sandwich because that's just plain silly.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

.....And people wonder why our educational system fails more often then it succeeds. I thought America was the melting pot not the stove with a pot for every nationality?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by blah yada
reply to post by RealSpoke

Well white kids don't eat burritos or tacos, or Asian food or watermelon ............. do they?Obviously then, non white kids do not eat sandwiches. Imagine seeing an African or an Asian eating a sandwich.How weird, even unsettling.It simply doesn't happen.in respectable neighbourhoods

PBJ is the new N-word and is ambrosia for racists.I'm boycotting peanuts, bread, and fruit preserves
edit on 12-9-2012 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

hmm.. hey uhh...uh...
Ya' gonna' eat that Pb&J sandwhich? Don't toss it awayI'' I'll trade you one unopened "lunchables"

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yngvarr

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Yngvarr

No, this is not liberal logic. This is a "Hispanic principal who is caught up on race" logic.

Correction, liberal Hispanic principal who is caught up in Race.
I live in the libtard capital of the world and hear this nonsense on a
daily basis. Now that we know Math, Reading and Science are "Culturally Insensitive" and "Homophobic"
they have nothing else to focus on but ridiculous BS like sandwiches and Che Guevara.

You know what dude, you have the twisted logic.

Here, let me use your logic.

Conservative politician gets caught soliciting gay sex in a bathroom.

Conservatives are all the same.

Therefore, all conservatives want gay sex in bathrooms.

So while you have dubbed liberals as "thinking PB&J's are racist", I can, using your logic, dub all conservatives as "lovers of anonymous homosexual bathroom sex" and, unless you are willing to take back your generalization of liberals, you cant deny my assertion because it is YOUR logic.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ban racist all those tacos, hot dogs, teriyaki bowls... hamburgers. Just give us some GMO processed crap and call it a day! Add some Spenda or Aspartame... and watch our kids thrive.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

This is really stupid. Hispanics don't eat sandwiches? Or Somali Americans?

Exactly. Just like black and white folks don't eat burritos. Duh.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

One parent, in particular, as the Tribune notes, has railed against a lunch-time drum class for black and Hispanic boys at the school (the parent believes it discriminates against women, girls, Asians, whites and Native Americans).

Gutierrez, though, claims children weren’t turned away and denies that offering a minority-specific class amounts to discrimination.

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?,” she said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

PBJ sandwiches are racist, but a "minority-specific" drum class isn't racist at all. For those confused, google "black people rhythm"

I grew up poor. Eating PBJs was a treat. For dinner we regularly had purple hull peas - that my mom and I spent several hours every day shelling (they are still frowned on in certain parts since they used be trash food given to livestock...humans are supposed to eat black-eye peas), mashed potatoes, and cabbage for dinner at least twice a week. Yes, you see no protein in that list since meat was expensive. PBJs had the protein I needed growing up. When I did get the occasional meat on a sandwich it was Spam, potted meat, or Vienna sausages (probably why I like those since I rarely got them).

So I regularly eat a PBJ on wheat bread, and my son has grown up loving them, too. So I'm proud to be a PBJ-loving racist and will gladly pass on my racist upbringing to my son.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join