It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
'White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations

A school administrator in Portland, Oregon is saying that a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is racist

I swear that some of these over-educated people are nuts.

What makes you think this person is over educated? Sounds more like she need to get some education to me. She's not qualified to teach IMO.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sounds like that principal needs to be flipping burgers, not running a school. Sounds very stuck on race and obviously ignorant. What message is this sending to the kids? "Anything and everything can be and is racist"? Besides, isn't it good to be exposed to new things that are outside of your original culture, to learn about other cultures? Isn't school supposed to expose you to new things and ideas and teach you about them? This generation is so screwed.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Can I get a "YAY!!!!!!" for public education, idiots teaching more to be idiots.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
what a complete an utter moron.

yes lets fight racism by stereotyping what ethnicities ethnicity like to eat

As a Spaniard i am quite annoyed the American public school system didnt provide me with paella to eat and bullfights to watch at recess instead of playing football

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

How do you know it is not "liberal logic"?

Do tell us, Realspoke, is the person so accused as a liberal, in fact a liberal? Could you research this, and get back to us, let us know if in fact, she is a liberal?

Jesus Christ on a cracker, you know what ? My son went to preschool in Hawaii. You know what he often ate for lunch? Spam musubi. Certainly was not something I made in my house, but I did have the option to pack something else. Guess what, he loved it! Had he not, I would have made him something else.

You know what is "liberal logic", Realspoke? PC, politically correct b.s. like this stupid pb sandwich thing. Seriously!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Dude! You just gave me an Idea! the Tuna Butter Torta! Tuna and PB &J served on a torta. With extra mayonnaise Oh yeah! Either it will be magnificent because it covers all racist sandwiches, or it will be the latest diet craze because it will force you to puke every time you eat one.

Seriously though this principal is an idiot. I hope he's reading this right now. YOu sir are a moron and have no place educating people. YOu probably tell kids the sky's blue because of the ocean or something equally as stupid. No wonder our current generation of kids are so under educated. It's because dips like you are teaching them.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
EVERYTHING'S FREAKING RACIST!

Can we go home now?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So she is not changing the dietary service over this, but rather would rather not use culturally specific semantics when making metaphors?

Meh...seems like a reasonable deal. At least, if i understand it correctly to be that she just wants teachers to consider being more inclusive of other cultures when speaking with metaphors. Maybe it makes the students feel better, but even more it makes our students more aware of other cultures, and might help bridge some diversity gaps we see. Not in Portland, OR....but maybe in Lamesa, TX it would.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Home schooling is now more than ever looking like a more viable alternative to public education to me, should I ever have children.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
RACIST!

I thought this was going to be something about a black guy inventing peanut butter. This is worse. Much worse. You really have to wonder how obsessed with race a person really is when they make sandwiches into bad guys. Pizza is soon to follow.

At first they came for the sandwiches and I said nothing.

Then they came for the pizza and I said nothing.

Then they came for the chicken nuggets and I still said nothing.

When they came for the falafel there were no foods to stand up for it.

Or something. Must we accommodate everyone all the time with everything? If you live in America you know what a damn sandwich is and you've tried one. I don't care if you're a Somalian or Mexican or some obscure thing I haven't heard of.

Meh...seems like a reasonable deal. At least, if i understand it correctly to be that she just wants teachers to consider being more inclusive of other cultures when speaking with metaphors.

I'm pretty sure that's all she was saying and it just sort of got blown out of proportion. I just felt like getting riled up.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Where I am from I only eat tortillas as such I will never understand the concept of bread or a sandwich.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
reply to post by littled16

Dude! You just gave me an Idea! the Tuna Butter Torta! Tuna and PB &J served on a torta. With extra mayonnaise Oh yeah! Either it will be magnificent because it covers all racist sandwiches, or it will be the latest diet craze because it will force you to puke every time you eat one.

Seriously though this principal is an idiot. I hope he's reading this right now. YOu sir are a moron and have no place educating people. YOu probably tell kids the sky's blue because of the ocean or something equally as stupid. No wonder our current generation of kids are so under educated. It's because dips like you are teaching them.

I think you may be onto something here. I could lose ten pounds in a week!

I'll let you know if it works out. Maybe you could get a patent and you can show my "before and after" pics on the info-mercial. Cha-Ching$$$!!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”..............................

I say we need two cars in every garage and a fridge full of pre-made, high-fructose corn syrup-induced PB and J sandwiches.....extra crunchy for my pleasure.

If we run out of bread...pass the tortillas!

Seriously, this is just stupid. Maybe we should throw a fit when the schools have taco day! After all, tacos are foreign.

We have better things to worry about than if some kids are offended by sandwiches. They don't have to eat those racist concoctions.

Wait.....what if the bread is rye? Is that racist too? What if the bread is marble rye, white and dark mixed together?

Ohh damn. Call Jessie Jackson!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
For crying out loud, if he is desperate to have a more diverse lunch, he can help by doing some cost cutting research and find a way to include pita dishes. After all, isn't a pita still considered a sandwich when something is in it?
When I went to India all I could get was chicken tandoori and spicy vegetarian dishes. Maybe I should have told them it was racist not to include peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Also for his information, it is the hamburger which is expressly all-American. He also probably does not know that the waffle cone was created at the St. Louis World's fair, and French Fries are not really French either. This is 4th grade reading by the way.

edit on 12-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I like Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.

I like Tuna Fish Sandwiches.

I like Hamburgers.......and I like them all on White bread.

I'll also take them all with a side of crackers and a tall cool, glass of White milk.

Yes, I'm White and proud of it.

Sue me.

Oh, and I also like Burritos, fried chicken, watermelons, Giro's, pasta and Pigs Feet with a side of Okra and Collard Greens.

Why? Because I like to watch those colored and ethnic women when they're in the kitchen cooking it all while they're barefoot and pregnant. As they should be dang it!!.

Yes, I'm also a racist, chauvinist pig.

Sue me.

Seriously, that teacher needs a check-up from the neck-up. If I were a parent with kids in that school I would DEMAND that she resign.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I never eat fried chicken, and watermellon can someone please tell me if this means I am a racist because I dont even know anymore.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This just strengthens my belief that people like this represent a modern "Salem Witch Trials". Instead of seeing witches everywhere, they see racists or racism (evil spells).

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Seeing sand-witches everywhere

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
OMFG! Will anything EVER be enough for these people? No matter how much diversity we have in every area of our lives, it is never enough. And that, my friends, is why I have always said, if you let go of everything we know as American, soon there will be no America.

Just look at the gay agenda for example. They wanted equal rightys, ok I get that, people should be treated fairly, no matter what. But that wasn't enough..noooo.... now they want to be married to each other with all the same rights as hetero sexuals. Why shouldn't they have that, you say? Because letting go of every moral, normal and typical thing that has always been American, is a death.

Who are we anymore?

I fully supported the rights of blacks being treated fairly and in equality when the movements all began in the 60's. Was that enough? Noooo, now everything is much sweeter for them with govt programs, partiality and everything else, to the detriment of whites!

Sick of it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Absolutely racist and antisemitic also. You'll notice that the jelly always goes on after the peanut butter, sort of a coverup, so you don't notice the brown below the oppressive layer and all of this encased in two slices, that are usually white. This definitely smacks of white supremacy. By not specifying that all ingredients should be kosher, it has antisemitism written all over it. Why does everyone hate the Jews? We need new PB&J laws to bring America back to free and brave and kosher. God Bless America.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join