It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
'White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations

A school administrator in Portland, Oregon is saying that a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is racist

I swear that some of these over-educated people are nuts.

I wonder what his vested interests are?

Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches racist? A bizarre question, to say the least, but one that at least one school administrator is asking out in Portland, Oregon. Verenice Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, seems to believe that there are racial connotations associated with the common lunch-time meal.

According to Gutierrez, using the example of a peanut butter sandwich in classroom lessons is technically a problematic and discriminatory move — one that was made by a teacher in her building last school year. While such a notion may bring out laughs among those who find it absurd, the principal explains her logic.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”..............................

Strange how the guy fails to mention anything about "Kosher".

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

This is really stupid. Hispanics don't eat sandwiches? Or Somali Americans?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well if peanut butter and jelly is racist then what is "Black Enterprize" magazine or even Curry. And surely the stated pita would be racist to any non Greek's.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
More twisted liberal logic.
Maybe, just maybe these Somalis, Mexicans, etc.
would assimilate, the PB&J wouldn't seem so "racist."

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

No, this is not liberal logic. This is a "Hispanic principal who is caught up on race" logic.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Isnt it just as racist to assume somali and hispanic children dont eat sandwiches?

He may as well have said having a pool is racist because black kids dont swim. And yet, in saying such a thing, he isnt the racist one?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
and they want to know why children can't get a good education.................. If they put half of the effort into teaching children the basics, Reading Writing and Math that they do this male cow feces, we'd have the best educated children in the world. Take a wild guess where the funding for this "Courageous Conversations" training is coming from? If you say "my tax dollars" give yourself a hand.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Call me "racist" all you want to- I like my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

I guess I may be "Uber-racist" because I like tuna fish sandwiches too!

This politically correct bull malarkey is getting smooth out of hand!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Jumping to racial conclusions based on food is stupid. Thinking someone will feel racially discriminated against based on a sandwich is stupid. Anyone who feels racially discriminated against because of a sandwich is stupid.

This is an example of a stupid person put in a position of power, exerting their stupid influence in order to further the cause of stupid in America.

Whew, I don't think I've ever used a word so much at one time before.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but most kids will eat anything you put in front of them....edit-Sorry, let me rephrase that, kids will eat what they like, and I have never seen a kid turn their nose up at a bowl of mac & cheese. The only time I have seen a kid turn their nose up at PB&J is when their parent(s) were freak crazy about a possible peanut allergy (even though the kid had never been tested)

Here in Phoenix, my step daughter complains about the heavy hispanic take on the school lunches, but eats it anyways. We sure don't run to the school and yell 'Racists, start cooking .....'....crap, i can't think of what a 'white' dish would be considered....Food isn't technically ethnic, it is more a regional characteristic, people eat what is available and the diet developed as the culture did....They are really two separate issues, intertwined but not dependent. I like everything from tacos to brats to pho.
edit on 11-9-2012 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I've never been to Portland, but the makers of the tv show Portlandia have, and this sounds like it could be one of the sketches. Apparently Portlanders are PC to a ridiculous and comical degree. Hence the ridicule and comedy I guess. And yes, educators are as out-of-touch with reality and common sense as you can get.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
cdn.memegenerator.net...

This guy is an idiot.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Yngvarr

No, this is not liberal logic. This is a "Hispanic principal who is caught up on race" logic.

Correction, liberal Hispanic principal who is caught up in Race.
I live in the libtard capital of the world and hear this nonsense on a
daily basis. Now that we know Math, Reading and Science are "Culturally Insensitive" and "Homophobic"
they have nothing else to focus on but ridiculous BS like sandwiches and Che Guevara.

link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

A school administrator in Portland, Oregon is saying that a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is racist

I swear that some of these over-educated people are nuts.

I wonder what his vested interests are?

Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches racist? A bizarre question, to say the least, but one that at least one school administrator is asking out in Portland, Oregon. Verenice Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, seems to believe that there are racial connotations associated with the common lunch-time meal.

According to Gutierrez, using the example of a peanut butter sandwich in classroom lessons is technically a problematic and discriminatory move — one that was made by a teacher in her building last school year. While such a notion may bring out laughs among those who find it absurd, the principal explains her logic.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”..............................

Strange how the guy fails to mention anything about "Kosher".

so now if someone doesn't eat something that you eat that makes you a racist by default. If she was my childs principal i would pull my kid out of that school.

Well i guess what they say about teaching is correct Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. Although i must say i never thought that line would apply to learning in general

Verenice is a girls name right? Why is everyone calling this person a dude?
edit on 11-9-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

I have been to Portland and you are right. I even went as far as to turn down a promotion that would have sent me there.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wait, what? Ahhhh nevermind.People will see what they want to see. It's along the same thought line as we see things and then classify them, when in reality we classify things long before we ever see or experience them.There are much bigger problems in the world to deal with than the racial implications of a sandwich. I would tend to think there is more of a class argument then a racial one, but even that is a reaching argument.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This actually makes a lot of sense. I would not call it racist or an example of white privilege. But if you are discussing food, im assuming the context had something to do with nutrition, you should take into account the cultural background of the students. This school is really diverse so its not like you would be changing something to cater to just one student. In my experiences growing up some of my classmates whose parents were deeply tied to their cultural backgrounds did bring different foods for lunch than everyone else.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
traditionally made with white bread.

privilege? yea, to be unhealthful, like most "white" dishes that being white bread, white sugar, white pasta, white flour, etc etc

empty calories! agenda 21, codex alimentarius more than "race" issue

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

If you're going to use that logic then all republicans are racist.

Intelligent liberals would not call peanut butter sandwiches white privilege. lol
edit on 11-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

While I agree they should talk about relevant food that the students eat in a health/nutrition class, peanut butter and jelly has nothing to do with white priveledge. That is why this is stupid.

edit on 11-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join