It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Saudis beheaded for armed robbery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

One thing about those Saudis is they don't screw around with criminals

Two men convicted of armed robbery ...... Off with their heads

I wonder how that would work in the "West" ?

Saudi Arabia beheaded two nationals in the southwestern city of Jizan on Tuesday after they were convicted of armed robbery, the interior ministry announced.

“Mohammed bin Ahmed Kharmi and Musa bin Mohsen Kharmi lured a man and opened fire on him,” the ministry said in a statement published by SPA state news agency, adding the victim, whose identity was not disclosed, was wounded.

The pair “stole the money he was carrying which belonged to the company he works for,” said SPA. They were sentenced to death “due to the danger of their crime.” [story continues...]

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
In some respects, that seems very harsh. At the same time, the criminals were shooting at their victim, he could easily have died.

Tough call but I no longer support capital punishment. Not only are governments incompetent, they are way too corrupt. They cant be trusted to honestly prosecute people.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

One thing about those Saudis is they don't screw around with criminals

Two men convicted of armed robbery ...... Off with their heads

I wonder how that would work in the "West" ?

Saudi Arabia beheaded two nationals in the southwestern city of Jizan on Tuesday after they were convicted of armed robbery, the interior ministry announced.

“Mohammed bin Ahmed Kharmi and Musa bin Mohsen Kharmi lured a man and opened fire on him,” the ministry said in a statement published by SPA state news agency, adding the victim, whose identity was not disclosed, was wounded.

The pair “stole the money he was carrying which belonged to the company he works for,” said SPA. They were sentenced to death “due to the danger of their crime.” [story continues...]

Bring it back!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I think it shows intolerance.
Those societies are very intolerant of alot of things.

As much as I like the idea of killing people like this....the civilized part of me says to rehabilitate them.
Its just too bad that in our own societies,punishment is looked upon as a better thing than rehabilitation,hence the revolving door of career criminals in our system.
Obviously the punishment did nothing.....when will we try rehabilitation?

No...not this type of rehabilitation...as i said,I like to think I am civilized.
From idiocracy...Monday Night Rehabilitation.

I know my opinion might not be popular but I don't give a rats behind.
Flame on.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The USA isn't much better, they kill people off non-physical evidence.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Harsh sentence for sure

Now will it curtail further crimes in the area?

I just wish mankind was a little smarter

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Crime rate in Saudi is really low too.

Saudi crime rate

Especially compared to where I live...

US crime rate

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Most prisoners....the US.

www.nationmaster.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I personally feel the Saudi system of justice is one we could learn from. Oh, not to copy and I sure don't mean the basis FOR the laws they enforce there. I mean the penalties they bring to bear upon the offenders..,..or offending body parts, as it were. Eye for an Eye takes on whole new meaning and this is the nation that went looking recently for a Doctor capable and willing to deliberately paralyze a man who had done the same to his victim in a fight, as I recall the circumstances of the injury.

Steal something? The offending hand is lopped off and they can just call ya Stumpy or Captain Hook for the rest of your life. I'm betting theft isn't a MAJOR issue over there. Heck, they have vending machines that dispense pure gold like the Post Office here dispenses stamp booklets. I'd say they have something going there for deterrence.

I'd be curious as to how many may get caught up by circumstance and punished as innocent men, as happens here..which is all that gives me pause. However, the sheer simplicity and elegance of their system of punishment is something I've downright admired. The Chinese are similarly no nonsense in their approach. In our nation, where 90+% of people on Death Row are fated to die of OLD AGE....We could definitely learn something, IMO.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

CIA Fact book backs it up...

CIA World Fact Book on the USA

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They won't be doing that again now will they? I'm amazed they were willing to do this knowing what the punishment would likely be. Kind of a scary place, guess I won't beheading there anytime soon.

I was at Muslim wedding recently and what struck me the most was how very non-stereotypical they all were. No women with veils, no men with beards, nobody stank, no suicide bombers and only one beheading.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ever hear of a second chance?
I stole as a youth and was violent as an adult...I learned,why can't others?
Intolerance is a weak argument to me based on experience alone.
Thankfully....I came upon good people (indirectly even) who taught me better.

There is other things to look at as well....what was their home life?

People behave based on the experiences they have....not everyone has the same experiences.
If they did....they would just be called a sheep,especially on ats.
Variety is the spice of life and tolerance and forgiveness isn't a bad thing.

edit on 11-9-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That's a regressive mindset. Causing disabled people for petty crimes like shoplifting is so backwards I can't believe you are advocating it. Why would you want to take society back in time?

edit on 11-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

That's a regressive mindset. Causing disabled people for petty crimes like shoplifting is so backwards I can't believe you are advocating it. Why would you want to take society back in time?

Because stealing a loaf of bread because your starving is forgivable, however rape?

Start dragging rapist convicted with DNA behind chemical sheds and double tap.

How many rapes do you think will occur then?

ETA: We could learn something from the system, not take the whole system.
edit on 11-9-2012 by thesungod because: replaced hungry with starving, also see eta

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod
reply to post by DrumsRfun

CIA Fact book backs it up...

CIA World Fact Book on the USA

All of the violent crimes have majorly decreased over the decades. We have the highest crime rate because of the ton of victimless crime laws, which are driven by for profit prisons.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

That link was a bit quirky for me so i couldn't see anything.
I don't think its as simple as that.
I made a thread before and got a brilliant answer which i am going to post.

Here is the thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
Here is the post that made me think a bit more about this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com... scroll down to Pexx421's reply.

Its just not that simple.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

A revenge based society is a violent one. All if does is turn the state/people into criminals themselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

FBI crime rates

Agreed.

However...

Information about unreported crime—Crime in the United States features data collected from law enforcement agencies regarding only those offenses known to police. However, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), another agency within the Department of Justice, administers the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). Using data from the NCVS, the BJS publishes information regarding crimes not reported to the police. For more information about the NCVS and how its data differ from information presented in Crime in the United States, see The Nation’s Two Crime Measures.

FBI again two crime measurements

People are also reporting FAR fewer violent crimes as they see the police unable to help then, or the police may go after the victim for other crimes, or that the Perpetrator may seek revenge.
edit on 11-9-2012 by thesungod because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

I doubt they have problems with shoplifting in Saudi Arabia - in fact I bet its almost unheard of considering the penalty. Our kids shoplift because they know even if they get caught nothing will happen to them the first time, the second or even the third.

I have been all over the world my friend and seen many societies. Western culture and its "civilized rehabilitation" of criminals is statistically ineffective and financially unsustainable.

Prisons are nothing more than a virtual cocoon from which the first time offender is honed and fine tuned until they blossom into a professional criminal in the majority of the circumstances.

I don't think anyone advocates mutilation for minors but seriously if you don't know right from wrong by the age of majority you are not likely to learn it without some sort of serious wake up call. IMO kids who don’t show a respect for the rights of others and a clear delineation between right and wrong by say 13 are doomed in most cases to never learn it.

Prison is too lax - IMO if they have time to sit around and think up ways to make weapons and smuggle dope in their asses they have too much free time.

I'm all for one chance at rehabilitation/education - after the prisoner works a 12 hour workday at hard uncofmortable and degrading labor. Prison should be such a horrible experience that one would be stupid to risk it again.

Many non-criminal citizens would love to have the "freedom" to sit around play cards, work out for hours and get a law degree on the public dime I bet.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
As a young teen me and my friend thought it would be a good idea to throw eggs at cars and laugh at them hitting the brakes....

It was a real good time till one of those cars didn't hit the brakes and looped around the neighbourhood and came up behind us real quiet like.

We both got the poop beat out of us and then the laughter died right there in the woods we were tossing the eggs from.

I limped home and had to act normal or the old man would have found out and give me a few more slaps upside the head for being a fool.

Harsh punishment works wonders as I can attest, after that night never again for eggs tossed at cars.

We had it coming and we got our just desserts.
Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join