It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Wants Tiny Suicidal Drone to Kill From 6 Miles Away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Killer drones just keep getting smaller. The Army wants to know how prepared its defense-industry partners are to build what it calls a “Lethal Miniature Aerial Munition System.” It’s for when the Army needs someone dead from up to six miles away in 30 minutes or less.

How small will the new mini-drone be? The Army’s less concerned about size than it is about the drone’s weight, according to a recent pre-solicitation for businesses potentially interested in building the thing. The whole system — drone, warhead and launch device — has to weigh under five pounds. An operator should be able to carry the future Lethal Miniature Aerial Munition System, already given the acronym LMAMS in a backpack and be able to set it up to fly within two minutes.

The envisioned LMAMS, a “loitering precision guided munition” is designed for quick missions to take out specific targets, and the Army’s had its eye on something like it for years. Its small size means it can’t carry a lot of fuel. As first reported by (subscription only) InsideDefense, the Army needs it to stay aloft for a half hour at most. But during that half hour, the Army expects it to fly up to six miles to smash into a target, either directed by a human controller or pre-programmed through GPS. Whether it speeds to a target fairly distant from where an Army unit is set up or loiters over one until it gets a clear shot, it’s another step toward making drone strikes inconspicuous.

Source

Next up Terminators!
&

Jokes aside, Predator Drones saved my life more than once. Not sure how I feel about this though...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If they are telling us this, there most likey is a drone 10x smaller. It reminds me of the urban legend that people eat 8 spiders a year in their sleep. How many drones are in my body? I hate to be paranoid, but i bet theres something attached to my optic nerves. Anyway , I bet there is a capability to launch and moniter .5 million drones with ease, Think about that next time u slap a mosquito!
edit on 11-9-2012 by Speckle because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2012 by Speckle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

Maybe, but I seriously doubt it.

Go check out a Jane's if you can get access.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

I thought it was 8 spiders eaten in a lifetime????

I can attest to this somewhat... found a spider hanging directly over my kitchen sink the other day when I got home, hanging about a foot above the faucet, RIGHT at eye level.

If these little guys are making webs out in the open, then i bet we have all eaten a few of them during our sleep.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

What ever happened to swords and shields... there is no honor in this crap.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The army may want one,
but I bet terrorists want one more.

Great find and I'm glad the predator saved you.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Agreed, but this is a double sided issue. How do you sword and shield a suicide bomber running at you?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Yeah well suicide bombers are dishonourable too, but they are just the 3rd world version of drones if you will.

In the end those suckers are remote controlled too.

I know I know but still... this is going too far IMO.

Killing shouldn't be so easy and without personal risk.
edit on 11-9-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

I know I know but still... this is going too far IMO.

Killing shouldn't be so easy and without personal risk.
edit on 11-9-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

Believe me a fire fight puts you in plenty of personal risk

I agree whole heartedly, however if it's down to an American life vs. a some other countryman's life... I'll pull for the American one. I say this as an American though.

I would expect the same of any other person from a given country though. Say a British man's life over an American's life, I expect a Brit to choose the British life.

I wish it wasn't this way, but it's the world we live in.
edit on 11-9-2012 by thesungod because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
A simp0le radio controlled model airplane could pack enough C4 to really cause some havoc.....
two could play that game.......imagine that a terrorista could fly one into the statue of liberty or other large target with ease from a long ways away...(say some rooftop building downtown....)take it off and fly it all the way to where its sent.....line of sight all the way.....
The US just keeps inventing great new terror weapons to be used against itself.....duh....

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Play much GTA?

Anyhow 6 miles is way out of range of an RC.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I remember that level in GTA. Memories. Anyways,
I think that this could be potentially useful. My imagination alone can think up several legit ways this could be used that wouldn't offend anyones morals.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The IAI Harpy could do it if they reduced the size, doubled the range, and made it more human operated rather than simply preprogrammed to seek and destroy radar within a preset area.

It is basically a flying high explosive grenade with a charge about the size of an RPG rocket.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

The IAI Harpy could do it if they reduced the size, doubled the range, and made it more human operated rather than simply preprogrammed to seek and destroy radar within a preset area.

It is basically a flying high explosive grenade with a charge about the size of an RPG rocket.

Ummm... An IAI Harpy has a range of like 300+ miles. It's also like 8 feet long and like 6 feet wide.

Anyway, the new model is called the IAI Harop if I remember correctly?

ETA: Yep, Harpy 2. Source

Besides what the Army is talking about is like a 5 pound UAV, not something so big.
edit on 11-9-2012 by thesungod because: see eta

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It wouldn't be that hard a project given defence contractor resources, just take some OTS R/C gear, add remote camera, and add a hand grenade already in the Army's inventory. Should be simple enough where you could unthread the casing and exploding part of a grenade from it's fuse and thread it onto the triggering portion of your R/C vehicle.

Some enlisted guy out in the field familiar with R/C could probably rig it up, provided they trusted him enough. Shouldn't take too many field trials before an engineer could take his handywork and smooth out the rough edges into a viable weapon system.

I'm also surprised why they haven't tried a similar approach to complement existing large drones currently being used. No need to waste some big hellfire missile able to kill a tank on an old beatup Hilux technical. Particularly when something like a tailfin kit and guidance slapped onto a hand grenade could do the job. Not to mention this would greatly multiply the effective firepower a drone has against soft targets because it could carry a lot more ammunition.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I can envision it already, a MANPADS style system something like a Javelin except the tube isn't disposable the uav is. Also a CLU which is scaled down to the size of a tablet (removable from clu after launch).

This of course will probably more likely be a weaponized variety of the existing raven uav.

Shame really, because the government wants it stuff commercial of the shelf or cots. Which means most of the equipment could be replicated by foreign services, friendly or otherwise...last thing we really need is a hostile foreign intelligence service gaining this tech after china steals it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a small tube like a roman candle that launches a tiny explosive with a tiny gps chip and enough fuel to push it in the right direction once it gets far enough might work

new topics

top topics

active topics

join