It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why it is hard to voice opinions:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Speaki ng Up Is Hard to Do: Researchers Explain Why

Research from scientists at the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute offers an explanation of why many people become, in effect, less intelligent in small group settings.

If we think others in a group are smarter, we may become dumber, temporarily losing both our problem-solving ability and what the researchers call our "expression of IQ."

The clamming-up phenomenon seems to be more common in women and in people with higher IQs, according to the report, published in January in the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B.

The Virginia Tech scientists used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to study how the brain processes information about social status in a small group and how people's perception of their status affects their cognitive performance.

The majority of those who failed to perform were women. So, as a woman, these things tend to interest me. I get that: "Wait, there's a difference?"

I can "dumb down" or "clam up", if I feel inadequate--and I have as a kid. As an adult, I don't have the problem as much with mental performance, but it certainly shows up in my ability to perform on a stage, due to being put out in front of everyone and having to hear that little voice that tells you: "They're watching you, and this isn't going to end well." I went to college for music education (partially, other degree I was working on), and I'm probably never going to get up there and merely sing for the joy of it, when it comes to solos.

But performing for tests never really bothered me for a few factors:
1. I have ADD, I have to overcome scatterbrain to get to my overcompensating hyper-focusing. Since this is normal for me, fear of what other people think is irrelevant.
2. I am not competing to be seen as smart against the smartest, whether in honors classes, GT, college, whatever. My grades had nothing to do with anyone else. If and when I failed something, (rare), it was due to me not putting ANY effort into it, although I passed things without any effort, as well. It's why I tell people who are smart: learn to study. When you hit the wall, in college, if you can't study, you will fail.

But apparently, this makes me "abnormal for a woman", by this little test. But, this thing is useful to explain why my husband generally comes across as merely agreeing with what I state, while being as smart as I am. So, an article to post on his facebook, no?
edit on 11-9-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: mo for no

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

But apparently, this makes me "abnormal for a woman", by this little test. But, this thing is useful to explain why my husband generally comes across as merely agreeing with what I state, while being as smart as I am.

No, because it doesn't apply when talking to your husband. Your husband is himself smart enough to just agree, regardless of what you said.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

As an introvert, I say what I mean regardless of the company.

Yes, I annoy quite a few people, but I just CAN'T do the typical bull**** appeasing comments that most do to keep the peace. It prolongs ignorance. The truth often hurts, and getting people to think outside the box is one of my traits.

I often add perspective to discussions with extreme opinions and sometimes it helps others let go and I find that they also come out of their shells a little and they begin to get more realistic.

I will never let anyone stop me from revealing truth. If I feel insulted by people who live lies and expect me to agree with those lies, the gloves come off.

I have made some great friends by being 100% me and shed some false friends to boot.

I'd love to have those scientists explore my brain.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

lol! Normally, given any other male/female combo, I'd agree.

But we're not quite the same. Not because we set out to be or even view ourselves as different, but because there are some things that don't add up to "traditional".

I took to heart something my father told me as a teen: if you and your spouse don't disagree, then one of you in the relationship is useless. Seriously, sometimes I want dissent. He's seen me enraged at "yes dear", and that's far more than I'd ever react to the "yes, that makes you look fat" comments. So on my side, I don't merely want agreement.

Also, this man willingly tells me to my face that I sometimes mentally intimidate him. When I put this up on his facebook, this is what he wrote:

I don't feel "dumb" per se. I just realize that my wife is a fire-cracker filled with knowledge that is usually readily available. Whereas my thick tongue and sun-burnt brain take much longer. lol

But anyway...
edit on 11-9-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: left out a t

new topics

top topics

join