It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolling Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
For those that are not aware, "trolls" have been a hot topic in Australian news lately. This comes after Charlotte Dawson (celebrity of some sort) was "hospitalized after being attacked by trolls". That's how the MSN portrayed it, here (crikey.com) is what really happened.

This has sparked debate over internet censorship...
"I don't believe in censoring the internet but we do have to have reasonable protections," Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said.
"What we're looking at is more capacity for take-down orders."
"Every one of these sites is hosted by someone and if the site is just hosting material that is completely scurrilous ... grotesquely offensive, I think there should be some powers for take-down orders, to ensure people are at least civil to each other."
(see what he did there..)

I was of course up in arms about about this sort of talk, making my opinions known to my local and state politicians via email, while angrily shaking my fist at nothing in particular. But a completely unrelated matter has slightly swayed my mind. Though I still wouldn't support censorship or "take downs" in any form.

I came across a "protest page" on Facebook a couple of days ago. It looked a bit rough, but I thought I would keep an eye on it, as I believe in the principles the protest supposedly stood for... Anyways the "protest" took place today and videos are up.
Now I may be wrong here, but to me, this seems like an elaborate troll. No one could be so... daft. The name doesn't seem to correspond with what the protest is ment to be about, even if it did, the protest doesn't seem to have any coherent demands (apart from advising pedophiles to escape the law and calling for a young girl to be beaten). I wont bang on about it because its obviously just a small group of mentally troubled people, but I can understand how people could be scared of this sort of thing. I'll let you decide...
First Annual 9/11 Party in Perth (You're Invited!)

So how should society deal with trolls? I have always thought it was a non issue, 'you can not make the world child proof, but you can make children world proof'. But this video brings a creepy new angle to it. ATS mambers and staff deal with it on a daily basis, but I think its obvious you need thick skin to get involved in most discussions here.
Should companies like Facebook/ twitter (or their share holders...) try and curb trolling? Should they be held responsable? Or is it up to the individual to simply not read it if it upsets them?..
edit on 11/9/2012 by seudonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by seudonymous
protest doesn't seem to have any coherent demands (apart from advising pedophiles to escape the law and calling for a young girl to be beaten). I wont bang on about it because its obviously just a small group of mentally troubled people, but I can understand how people could be scared of this sort of thing. I'll let you decide...

Definatly a troll IMO, seems to be holding back laughter at times, but I dont care to watch all his videos incase he thinks its actually getting real attention. This is just an example, any sicko with a mobile could do it.
As I said, I dont really see the big deal with trolls, but get in the way of my freedom and the shizen gets real...

Also, some of the comments on Crikey are worth a read.
edit on 11/9/2012 by seudonymous because: Comments on Crikey

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The problem with Trolls is they are getting attention from people, replies, responses.

ITS WHAT THEY WANT PEOPLE.

The more we have a go at them the more they win... but if we ignored them all..what could they do?
edit on 11-9-2012 by SageBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

No doubt. I wasn't sure about linking this video, just because I don't want this douche bag to get the attention. There is the issue of using the internet to insight violence and then turning around and saying, "I was just doing it for the lulz". Especially when your talking about an adult insighting violence against a minor.

top topics

join