It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stairway on an Island?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That is not a natural rock formation.

If that is one piece then it has to have been carved, as natural formation is usually created through erosion. There is no way that series of steps was created through natural erosion.

If it's not one single rock then it has been built to create steps.

Either way, it's not a natural formation.

However, that doesn't mean it's ancient. I would look into the history of the place and see if there are any records of inhabitants using it. Chances are some company or authority had a reason to be there, and that would explain why they needed steps for docking.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Definitely man made and they all weren`t carved out of the rock, you can see the seams where some of the stones are stacked on top of each other.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Nice find

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Next time take a metal detector! You may find "artifacts" that will help you date it. But my vote is, its man made!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well, as to wether it man made. I definitely think that it is man made an unnatural. However with no other structures present it hard for me to even guess as to when it was made, simple stone steps like that could have been made anywhere from a few decades to a few thousand years ago. I will of course admit that i am still no archeologist or geologist. So if someone well versed on the subject could prove that it was natural that would be really cool

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
find out what type of Lichen that is growing on the steps

then google its growth rates

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
My family comes from Cross Lake

I phoned my mother about stairs cut into shore rocks and she has no recollection of stairs but she knows of petroglyphs and explorer's names carved into shoreline rocks.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Why would someone dock at the middle of huge rock when the area just a few feet to the left and right of the rock seem plenty accessible? Seems like a lot of work with no real benefit.

Did you follow the stairs down? How deep do they go?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cheerfulnihilist

hello Neighbor

Its a small world

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Symer

It's only about three feet to the bottom but if it was fifty to hundred years the lake would have been a lot deeper, i'd say right to the top of the steps and the trees around the area are far to tall to be fifty years. before the damn was built it was alot deeper back than.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join