It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The awful reality of US foreign policy in the middle east

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I'd like to use this thread to share an example of just how messed up American foreign policy really is.

There is a very good chance Mitt Romney will be the next American President. But let's look at the names of his middle east advisory team-

This is supposed to be an American politician serving America? Yet his middle east advisory team is one of the largest pro Israel teams I have ever seen.

Dov Zakheim? Michael Chertoff? How can these people seriously be considered to advise America on policy for the middle east given their bias to Israel? Zakheim was incredibly influential in getting the Iraq war underway, yet there he is, part of a potential future president's advisory team

Is this fair to Israel's neighbours?

Richard Williamson-

I have said, as has Governor Romney, that in the end you must be willing to use force to get the accommodations that are required so that the safety of the region and the state of Israel are secure.

Q. Is that really a credible threat? Is it credible to believe that in his first year in office, Governor Romney would commit the United States to a war?

A. It is credible that governor Romney has been consistent. That the best way to secure United States’ security is through strength. It is consistent, and it is Governor Romney’s belief that nuclear breakout from Iran would be calamitous to our friend Israel, to the region and to US interests and that we would have to take robust steps.

Search any of this middle east advisory team, they all advocate the pro Israel lobby arguments and the idea that a nuclear Iran is unacceptable with the way to avoid it being a military conflict.

Eric Edelman-

The closer Iran gets to acquiring nuclear weapons, the fewer options will be available to stop its progress. At the same time, Iran's incentives to back down will only decrease as it approaches the nuclear threshold. Given these trends, the United States faces the difficult decision of using military force soon to prevent Iran from going nuclear, or living with a nuclear Iran and the regional fallout.

Is it any wonder American politicians are such war hawks? You have a potential future president whose middle east team serves Israel, it is complete and utter madness.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You've listed all of his special advisors, these are three on the mid-east:

MIDDLE EAST & NORTH AFRICA:

•Mary Beth Long:Founder and Owner of M B Long and Associates, PLLC, and Metis Solutions, LLC; Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs (2007-2009)

•Meghan O’Sullivan: Lecturer at Kennedy School of Government; Special Assistant to President George W. Bush and Deputy National Security Advisor for Iraq and Afghanistan (2004-2007)

•Walid Phares:Co-Secretary General, Transatlantic Legislative Group on Counter Terrorism; Professor of Middle East Studies and Author; Task Force for Future Terrorism at the Department of Homeland Security (2006-2007)

www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

Doesn't look so bad.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
You've listed all of his special advisors, these are three on the mid-east:

MIDDLE EAST & NORTH AFRICA:

•Mary Beth Long:Founder and Owner of M B Long and Associates, PLLC, and Metis Solutions, LLC; Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs (2007-2009)

•Meghan O’Sullivan: Lecturer at Kennedy School of Government; Special Assistant to President George W. Bush and Deputy National Security Advisor for Iraq and Afghanistan (2004-2007)

•Walid Phares:Co-Secretary General, Transatlantic Legislative Group on Counter Terrorism; Professor of Middle East Studies and Author; Task Force for Future Terrorism at the Department of Homeland Security (2006-2007)

www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

Doesn't look so bad.

Phew, you are right.

We have nothing to worry about, false alarm folks.

Romney's foreign policy team 'will not' be adivising Romney on foreign policy, he comes up with the following all by himself-

Romney repeats everything his 'advisers' tell him. Do you seriously think Zakheim, Chertoff etc would get involved on a foreign policy team and not be involved in policy?

Come on dude.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I know this is going to come as a shock, but Israel dictates much of America's foreign policy.

We cant even have an election in America without politicians pledging their support to a foreign state, thats how bizarre things have gotten. Its unbelievable how much control they have over our government.

They dont even try to hide it:

edit on 11-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Hey, no problem. I was responding to the OP who said that the list was his mid-east advisory team. Just trying to clarify things. Chertoff and Zakhim are in Defense, and Counter-Terrorism.

But wouldn't you expect Romney's team to tilt toward Israel? Just as I think Obama's team will tilt toward the Muslim countries. Why would you want a stable full of advisors who oppose your basic, core, principles?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Hey, no problem. I was responding to the OP who said that the list was his mid-east advisory team. Just trying to clarify things. Chertoff and Zakhim are in Defense, and Counter-Terrorism.

But wouldn't you expect Romney's team to tilt toward Israel? Just as I think Obama's team will tilt toward the Muslim countries. Why would you want a stable full of advisors who oppose your basic, core, principles?

What core principles? War hawks?

Let's just leave it there shall we, we're on two different wavelenghts entirely

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This always amazes me,how can a massive, powerful,rich, populated, educated country like the united states of America be a puppet of a tiny winy minority in the other side of the world ,with completely different sets of values religions and cultures!....I mean i can kind of accept that from Canada or France but, America dude?!! ..It is such a shame..where did you go wrong?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Personally, There could be no Israel in the middle-east. Zero imput based on their vested interests and I'd still have no love for the Extreme in the muslim world.

The U.S. is the Great Satan, on and on. and one person writes a book that's offensive to them and international riots occur? People murdered? Doesn't take Israel to make my mind up. Irrational, at the least, psychotic at the worst. It may be that the U.S. is the only remaining group that can restrain this bunch of nuts.

What worries me is the timing of these events. Pre-election periods aren't times of the highest logic out of Washington D.C. either.LOL

Which party takes advantage of the lastest Muslim stupidity with their own stupidity, Obama to stave off falling poll numbers and show how strong a leader he is or Romney, who sees himself as another Reagan speaking "strength" and hoping for another Iranian capitulation just as he takes power. A repeat of Reagan.

Right now, I'd do no more than they are doing. beef up the protection and hopefully these guys chill out. If they don't, then in all probablity, they are being stirred up deliberately and there is no particular action that the U.S. could take without outright capitulation that would satisfy. In that case, appeasement is a waste of time and long term survival becomes more important. That should occur at a time of our choosing, not theirs......

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker
Personally, There could be no Israel in the middle-east. Zero imput based on their vested interests and I'd still have no love for the Extreme in the muslim world.

The U.S. is the Great Satan, on and on. and one person writes a book that's offensive to them and international riots occur? People murdered? Doesn't take Israel to make my mind up. Irrational, at the least, psychotic at the worst. It may be that the U.S. is the only remaining group that can restrain this bunch of nuts.

What worries me is the timing of these events. Pre-election periods aren't times of the highest logic out of Washington D.C. either.LOL

Which party takes advantage of the lastest Muslim stupidity with their own stupidity, Obama to stave off falling poll numbers and show how strong a leader he is or Romney, who sees himself as another Reagan speaking "strength" and hoping for another Iranian capitulation just as he takes power. A repeat of Reagan.

Right now, I'd do no more than they are doing. beef up the protection and hopefully these guys chill out. If they don't, then in all probablity, they are being stirred up deliberately and there is no particular action that the U.S. could take without outright capitulation that would satisfy. In that case, appeasement is a waste of time and long term survival becomes more important. That should occur at a time of our choosing, not theirs......

You really think the entire region breaks out into violence because of a video that was released in June?

How about the fact that the people of these countries are being incited to violence because of the low employment and incredible anti American propaganda being promoted by the Muslim Brotherhood? Or the fact the fact that thousands of people have died because of bombing campaigns in Lbya? Or the fact that people in Egypt know it was the west that funded the dictatorship for the last 30 years?

These people have a right to be angry, and sadly there is an element that is guiding this anger into something awful.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I'm not saying they aren't a factor, but there is nothing you can say that removes the fact of the timing of these attacks, whether the straw on the camels back or not. Attacking U.S. embassies is as good an indication of idiotic as I've seen. It's also not the first time a media induced riot has occured based on being "offended".
The fact is the U.S. has done more to remove these cold-war relic regimes than anyone else.
The replacement gov't/regimes will need to earn some good-will from the US by ensuring these co-ordinated actions cease or they could eventually end up like the previous leaders....gone.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker

I'm not saying they aren't a factor, but there is nothing you can say that removes the fact of the timing of these attacks, whether the straw on the camels back or not. Attacking U.S. embassies is as good an indication of idiotic as I've seen. It's also not the first time a media induced riot has occured based on being "offended".
The fact is the U.S. has done more to remove these cold-war relic regimes than anyone else.
The replacement gov't/regimes will need to earn some good-will from the US by ensuring these co-ordinated actions cease or they could eventually end up like the previous leaders....gone.

You do realise America funded the Egyptian regime for the last 30 years? The reason to make sure Israel had an ally in the region and secure their own interests?

Does that fact alone not contradict your point of view?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Actually, not. I would assume pretty much every country that wasn't "oil-rich" recieved foreign aid or support. Be it the Soviet Union, England, et al.

It's the act and timing that concerns me not the "justification". One can assume the perps felt justified or they would have done it. If it was U.S. support of Egypt's regimes of the past, then why attack the Embassies after they're gone and not then?

No, there is no escaping the timing,no matter how much you spin it. Offending seems to be the real high crime to these people and it's a lot more widespread than egypt, as well.

As a matter of fact, it's so obvious, I wonder why you'd even bother with this? A bit of the devil's advocate?

new topics

top topics

join