It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson Wife Beating Advice

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The subject is not whether the woman was abusive or not.

The subject is the offensive "advice" Pat Robertson offered this man.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

Oh for cying out loud! Do you have a mother, a grandmother any female in your life that you love and respect?

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by violet
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So what if they laughed. It still didn't make it a " joke". It's not the least bit comical.

We already stated numerous times that the joke was poor taste. But I'm concerned that no one says the same thing when Seth McFarlane not only jokes about wife beating but also visually depicts it. Either wife-beating jokes are wrong for all folks at all times or there is hypocrisy at play here. The intent by Pat was to make a funny and at the same time blast Islam, it just wasn't the right time to make a joke. But don't expect me to sit here and make it more than it was. The difference between Pat Robertson and Seth McFarlane is Christianity.

A spade is a spade.

edit on 13-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

When you say "we", you mean all the Christian males that are here defending Pat Robertson's comment simply because he shares your love of the Bible and it's teachings. But, your blind allegiance to this bigoted nut job is just ignorant.

As I've stated before. men who beat their wives often joke and brag about it. Pat is feeding that mindset, if not promoting it!

The difference between "Family Guy's" Seth Mcfarlane, his show is a satirical commentary on the dim witted mindset of brainwashed, ignorant middle class trash. It's meant to reflect what is wrong with society.

Pat Robertson and his "700 Club" on the, other hand, have an entirely different mission statement. They set themselves up as a religious authority and ask their viewers to look to them for advice and inspiration, As a role model Robertson has a duty to offer responsible advice and not to mislead his following into disrespecting their wives or to dismiss domestic violence as light hearted fun.

edit on 13-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
The subject is not whether the woman was abusive or not.

The subject is the offensive "advice" Pat Robertson offered this man.

The only "advice" he offered was basically:

"I really don't know what you should do."

Pat wasn't being serious about converting to Islam and moving the family to Saudi Arabia.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

First of all, don't they pre-screen these letters that come in and that they read out loud and then address on their show? I don't believe for one minute that Robertson was surprised and taken off guard at the reading of this letter. He knew it was going to be read on air before the show even started!

Second, he didn't say "I don't know what you should do." He said "You can't let her get away with this stuff." He told his audience that the man should move to Saudi Arabia, where beating wives is still legal, twice!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Someone pre-selects which questions will be answered but I seriously doubt Pat or his co-host do that. Most likely the show's producer, director or a staffer. Usually big-name personalities delegate that kind of work to the low-level associates. The on-air types show up an hour or two before for make-up and hair then begin taping. There are probably hundreds maybe even thousands of letter or emails to go through just to pick a few questions to be answered on-air.

ETA, the video in the OP is edited, watch the full video on YouTube. His serious reply was basically "I don't really know what you should do.". Be careful with the edited video.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

"I don't really know what you should do."

No it wasn't. Stop making up things. He never said that, or anything close to it. The full video makes him look worse that the edited one.

Why are you sticking up for Pat Robertson? He makes all Christians look bad. It'd be like a Muslim defending wahabbists.
edit on 13-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You can't live with em, you can't live without em.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

At about the :36 mark he clearly says "I don't know.". He also suggests bringing in a 3rd party as in counselling. You're wanting to attack Pat, and you can for a poor-class joke, but don't sit there and claim he was serious when he and his female co-host bust out laughing after the comment. And i'm not sticking up for Pat, I've said numerous times that the joke was wrong and very poor-class and taste. I also said when Seth McFarlane jokes about and visually depicts domestic abuse it's just as wrong. I'm calling out hypocrisy, not defending Pat. What he did was clearly wrong.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

At the 36 second mark Robertson says, "I don't know, I don't think we condone wife beating these days, but somethings gotta be done." He never says, "I don't know what to say or what you should do." That would be out of character.

He doesn't say they need a 3rd person. He say's "I hate to say everything's gonna need some psychological counseling, but..."

Then the co-host interrupts his ramblings and says "But some kind of 3rd party...."

Then Pat tersely agrees with his "Certainly" and then continues rambling on about the woman having some sort of authority problem....., changing the subject from counseling to his personal evaluation of the woman's supposed rebellious nature.

His co-host is clearly uncomfortable with his responses, laughing in polite unease, as she tries to repair the damage and direct the conversation to a more sane and acceptable solution. She fails to reign Robertson in as he keeps on eating his foot.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

By master i assume you mean the devil...Kinda hard to be "mastered" by a contrived, make believe character from a book written in the bronze age by people that knew for a fact the earth was flat and who knew for a fact the earth was the center of the universe..What makes you think they knew anything about 'god' or the creation of the universe..All you Christians should move to Vatican City so you can all sit together in your ivory towers and cast judgement down on anyone who doesn't conform to your infantile, bigoted, hateful ways

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As far as Mr Robinson is concerned, he should realize that physical abuse is considered by religions to be a type of abandonment, and is therefore considered a valid reason to get a divorce. The two Biblically acceptable reasons being adultery and abandonment...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/13/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by MajorKarma

Oh for cying out loud! Do you have a mother, a grandmother any female in your life that you love and respect?

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by violet

So what if they laughed. It still didn't make it a " joke". It's not the least bit comical.

We already stated numerous times that the joke was poor taste. But I'm concerned that no one says the same thing when Seth McFarlane not only jokes about wife beating but also visually depicts it. Either wife-beating jokes are wrong for all folks at all times or there is hypocrisy at play here. The intent by Pat was to make a funny and at the same time blast Islam, it just wasn't the right time to make a joke. But don't expect me to sit here and make it more than it was. The difference between Pat Robertson and Seth McFarlane is Christianity.

A spade is a spade.

When you say "we", you mean all the Christian males that are here defending Pat Robertson's comment simply because he shares your love of the Bible and it's teachings. But, your blind allegiance to this bigoted nut job is just ignorant.

As I've stated before. men who beat their wives often joke and brag about it. Pat is feeding that mindset, if not promoting it!

The difference between "Family Guy's" Seth Mcfarlane, his show is a satirical commentary on the dim witted mindset of brainwashed, ignorant middle class trash. It's meant to reflect what is wrong with society.

Pat Robertson and his "700 Club" on the, other hand, have an entirely different mission statement. They set themselves up as a religious authority and ask their viewers to look to them for advice and inspiration, As a role model Robertson has a duty to offer responsible advice and not to mislead his following into disrespecting their wives or to dismiss domestic violence as light hearted fun.

edit on 13-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

Yes of course I had a mother and a grandmother, both of whom were truly exceptional human beings which in many ways adds to the mystery about women because women are definitely different than men in more ways than physically. It is said that man was made from the dust but that woman was made from the rib of Adam. Surely, if you are a common participant in ATS you are aware of Zecharia Sitchin and others who are discovering that the Biblical Versions of Man's Creation may not be that far wrong. Whatever the case, I have stated my opinion about women which stand but I can't help but now add the old adage "Women, can't live with them, can't live without them". I have never beat a woman up but I have had a knock down drag out with my last wife, a Belarussian" and I must confess she was tougher than most men. If a man is to be a man, he has to have not just the love of the women he is with but the respect and I am not convinced the back of the hand will get there. Enough said.
edit on 14-9-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLonewolf

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So the Bible was written between 3600 and 1200bc?
Christians all believed that the world was flat?

Isaiah 40:22 - It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are as grasshoppers; that stretches out the heavens as a curtain, and spreads them out as a tent to dwell in:

Job 26:7 - He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Job 26:10 - He has drawn a circle on the waters at the boundary where the day and night come together.

14 You were an anointed guardian cherub. I placed you; you were on the holy mountain of God; in the midst of the stones of fire you walked.

All Christians are also Catholic and belong in the Vatican?

Christians are ignorant?

Religious clergy members are now, and always have been, some of the most highly educated folks on the entire planet.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/14/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Since when does ignorance have to do with intelligence? I'm ignorant of molecular biology because I have never studied it, not because I failed a course on it. Ignorance deals with familiarity, intelligence is a person's ability to comprehend and solve problems. Everyone on Earth is ignorant of many things.

edit on 14-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

It is true that the Vatican and other religious orders allow and require their clergy higher educations so that they are equipped with the tools needed to fulfill their ministries, unless they come from Oral Robert University or the Bible school that my sister attended.

I could display countless YouTube videos of nut jobs professing creationism based on bananas, and claims that dinosaurs could not have ever existed based on their nostril size!

It seems that Pat Robertson is one of those ill educated clergy members, at least in current social issues. He is very good at generating bad press for his cause though!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Unless I'm mistaken, Pat isn't a pastor or clergy member. He's just a media personality.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The son of U.S. Senator A. Willis Robertson, Robertson is a Southern Baptist and was active as an ordained minister with that denomination for many years, but holds to a charismatic theology not traditionally common among Southern Baptists

Doesn't the Baptist church require their ordained ministers to have some sort of degree? Not that a degree in biblical scripture gives one the tools to conduct a viable ministry among challenging social problems. For example, does Robertson have the tools to be a counselor at a Baptist drug re-hab facility?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

No idea. But lots of people attend seminary but don't end up pastoring congregations.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Geez, I can't believe that this thread is still going. Pat Robertson doesn't think that people should beat their wives, that is obviously clear in that video. Whether his "joke" is funny or not, people who don't like him are just going to run this whole thing into the ground, compounded by liberals who associate him with Romney and see it as a way to get in a dig at old Mitt. Click here: www.lmgtfy.com... and see how many political web sites and blogs come up in those results.

Meanwhile, on ATS...

edit on 14-9-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

NO, it isn't at all clear that Robertson doesn't support wive beating, in fact his words demonstrate the opposite. His willful promotion of wife beating was the first thing that occurred to him and was the first and last thing that came out of his mouth! It wasn't at all a necessary and was totally uncalled for in his address to the man's problems. He did nothing to assist in the presented problem and only inflamed the issue of domestic violence.

Honestly, I don't see how you can translate any other way! I am amazed that so many Christians here are so deaf!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join