It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson Wife Beating Advice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by RockHarder

I'm sorry that you seem confused by my position. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just can't see BLAMING an inanimate object (a gun) or an inanimate set of tenets (religion) for the actions of man. I don't know how else to say it. Religion is a THING, with no will or mind of its own. The people who abuse and misuse it are to blame.

But if I wrote a paper describing how to enslave your neighbor or kill your children and someone did it, I would be the first to be faulted. Why not the bible?

As far as being an atheist... that doesn't mean that I don't support the rights of ALL people. Read my signature. As a country, we have the right to practice religion. I choose not to, but that doesn't mean I want to take away others right to practice it!

I don't believe people should have the right to practice ANYTHING that advocates murder.

But that's just me.

edit on 11-9-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Originally posted by HandyDandy
But if I wrote a paper describing how to enslave your neighbor or kill your children and someone did it, I would be the first to be faulted. Why not the bible?

You're going to have to prove to me that you would be held liable for the killers actions before I answer.
I don't believe you would. Remember that old saying, "If your friend told you to jump off a cliff, would you"?

I don't believe people should have the right to practice ANYTHING that advocates murder.

People do not have the right to murder. They do have the right to practice religion, AS LONG AS they abide by the laws of the land. It's in the first amendment. I believe in and support the Bill of Rights. But that's just me.

Look, I'm not defending this idiot. I'm just saying that religion isn't to BLAME. Religion cannot be held liable. PEOPLE commit crimes, religion is a set of tenets. PEOPLE choose their interpretation and decide what to do from there.

If someone killed their neighbor in the name of "freedom" we don't blame freedom, we blame the PERSON the perpetrated the crime.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm sorry that you seem confused by my position. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just can't see BLAMING an inanimate object (a gun) or an inanimate set of tenets (religion) for the actions of man. I don't know how else to say it. Religion is a THING, with no will or mind of its own. The people who abuse and misuse it are to blame.

You are causing the confusion.

The gun comparison is horrible as pointed out before. The gun doesn't preach. The gun doesn't post rules and teach a certain ideology.

What is your definition of the misuse?

Imo, the ones that misuse the power of religion are the ones that founded it ,and fundamentalists that take scripture literally.

Like gay marriage, the bible forbids it.

I feel that people who feel that way are wrong. They base their opinion on the bible. Should I not blame both them and the institute they base their opinion on?

I am not pro gay marriage either, or pro marriage period. I simply don't care what other people do in their private lives.

You could say that religion and religious people are infringing on the rights of individual persons and their private life, based on the bible.

As far as being an atheist... that doesn't mean that I don't support the rights of ALL people. Read my signature. As a country, we have the right to practice religion. I choose not to, but that doesn't mean I want to take away others right to practice it

This is a silly argument, because noone said that people can't have their religion. I am puzzled as to why you would make such a suggestion. Some people just don't agree with it. That's a right too.

edit on 11-9-2012 by RockHarder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Wertdagf

Religion doesn't *DO* anything. PEOPLE do. People USE religion for good and for bad. Pat Robertson uses it for greed. He is an idiot.

Religion is not at fault. Those who use it for their own gain, are.

I can agree with that. What was the old Sam Kineson bit? "Jesus is up there in Heaven, thumbing through his book, saying 'Just where in Hell did I say to build a water slide?'"

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

You're going to have to prove to me that you would be held liable for the killers actions before I answer.
I don't believe you would. Remember that old saying, "If your friend told you to jump off a cliff, would you"?

Where did I say "held liable"? I said "be faulted". May be semantics but there is a huge difference.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Roberts has the driest humor i've ever heard. Only seen his show a few times, but i generally stay away from televangelism because some of those fellows like Benny Hinn and Oral Roberts i don't find kosher and i specifically do not like televangelists hawking $500 blessed handkerchiefs who have no conscience and pretend to love Jesus while taking advantage of desperate people seeking healing or miracles.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

poor pat robertson, he is now just a senile delusional old fart,always good for a laugh though.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The average lifespan was 38 at that time in history, males were considered "men" at 13 and women were married and began conceiving children at that same time. Secondly, "rape" indicates an unwilling participant, Mary was not. Iesha was 9 not 13 when Muhammad took her. Should we not consider historical and cultural contexts? When one refuses to consider context that's a pretext for a prooftext. Exactly what I am led to believe is going on here.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I'm not going to get into this debate with you (if you feel this means you have won so be it). I understood what the poster ment when he said what he said. Back then marrying 12 year olds was the custom (i.e....what we call pediphiles today) . You are the one who turned it around to muslim bashing.

But, I will end with this:

Your god killed Egypt's first born males (babies included) just for spite against one person (the pharaoh).

Yeah....you got the high road all right.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by RockHarder

This is true, Muhammad had the hots for a 9 year old girl.

Did Mohammed write the bible?

No, I never said he did. But he's the only child rapist I know of who authored religious texts.

edit on 11-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

The only one? Well.......there you go, a very good reason to turn from religion. People from all walks of life are good and bad, but some choose to hide behind and use religion for their own agenda.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I'm not going to get into this debate with you (if you feel this means you have won so be it). I understood what the poster ment when he said what he said. Back then marrying 12 year olds was the custom (i.e....what we call pediphiles today) . You are the one who turned it around to muslim bashing.

But, I will end with this:

Your god killed Egypt's first born males (babies included) just for spite against one person (the pharaoh).

Yeah....you got the high road all right.

Everyone forgets that all the Hebrew males infants were thrown into the Nile river. Is that an accidental oversight or are Jewish babies worthless?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A FRIENDLY REMINDER

The topic of discussion for this thread is "Pat Robertson Wife Beating Advice" and matters directly pertaining to what he said and your opinions about that specific subject.

Some of you may have noticed that several posts in this thread have already been deleted as off topic. (Especially on page three.)

Please maintain a civil discussion and stay on topic. Further derailing of the thread may lead to a Staff review.

If you wish to discuss other matters then by all means you can use the U2U facility. Please note that the T&Cs apply equally in U2U correspondence.

Thank you.

JustMike,
Forum Moderator.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

When that radio host jokingly called some basketball team of females nappy headed hoes.... the whole world exploded...

but when pat says to beat your wife its all well and good.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

When that radio host jokingly called some basketball team of females nappy headed hoes.... the whole world exploded...

but when pat says to beat your wife its all well and good.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Well, I already pointed out that I cannot watch imbedded videos and asked if Pat was being sarcastic or making a joke about Islam and didn't get a reply. If he was poking fun people need to take a chill pill, if he was serious about spousal abuse then I condemn that.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
WOW! Really? I wish someone would make this fool, Pat Robertson, watch all of the clips of horrible things he has said over the years that were NOT true....Like flat out LIES about AIDS. I would also like him to have to watch the clips of people like Jerry Falwell, and Jim Baker being caught with their pants down...I mean I believe in Jesus Christ and God, BUT these people are the very definition to the word HYPOCRITE.
edit on 11-9-2012 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

I hope you're not referring to me as a fool, I don't watch TV unless it's a sports game.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Pat knows that there is no need to beat women, when a scolds bridle easily achieves better results.

While he was joking, he was also perhaps revealing his true nature and sentiment as people often use a joke to transmit an inner thought, sometimes involuntarily.

He's just another creep selling Jesus to people who have clearly already bought in on the Jesus ticket. I look at his audiences and see the blindest, purest faith in those people's eyes, and this prick wants their money? For what exactly.God is not feeling the recession, he's not short of a dollar. Neither is Pat Robertson so why does he ask for it, from people who really need it?

Religion is truly an opiate of the masses if these people cannot see through such low grade scammery. Of Christians I ask, how long more before you consign this fraud to the Hall of False Prophets? Surely Pat's number is coming up any day now.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join