It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson Wife Beating Advice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RockHarder
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It would have been honest if you had just said that no Christian text was ever written by alleged child rapists.

Instead you said, "That's true, Muhammed had the hots for a 9 year old girl."

Since the subject was Christianity, it is not true.

Sorry, I refrain from assumptions in debate, it's totally irrational. The other member's criticism was ambiguous, and furthermore did not fit any Christian or Jewish religious text. The only religious text that could apply to that member's statements would be the Quran. It's always a good idea to debate only what others say, never get into guessing games and reply on assumptions.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Let's ask him. WertdagF, what did you mean exactly?

All I know is that the response was aimed at the conduct of a Christian, not a Muslim.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What bothers me the most about Pat Robertson's comments is not that Muslim's are still allowed to beat their wives, but that he thinks that the guy who wrote the letter, deserves to beat his wife.

We have no idea what their arguments are about and he offers no scriptures citing compassion, patience, loving kindness or prayer. Robertson immediately assumes the woman's view is irrelevant and she should be silenced by violence by her superior, a male husband.

He should have recommended that they seek counseling through their church, not move to Saudi Arabia, where he can legally beat her!

This man is the Rush Limbaugh of Christianity, just looking for ratings. He's a shock jock displaying his hypocrisy at it's finest!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
I'm only aware of Muhammad as an author of a religious text who was a child-rapist, and as Adj points out apparently Joseph Smith.

Now, now, don't let it be said that I called Joseph Smith a child rapist -- I merely pointed out that he had a fondness for young girls (old ones, too, did you have a look at that list of wives? Yikes!)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Another great example of ATS defending Islam, even when it means defending the beating of women. Pat wasn't ADVOCATING the beating of woman, he was making a point of the evils of Islam.

ATS liberals love them some Islam.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Let's ask him. WertdagF, what did you mean exactly?

All I know is that the response was aimed at the conduct of a Christian, not a Muslim.

Impossible, Pat Robertson hasn't authored a single book of any religious Holy Book. That was the statement I commented on.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RockHarder

You seem to be naive deliberately in order to justify your own religious position.

My only religious position is that I'm not into it. I'm an atheist. I do, however, support the first amendment and the free exercise of religion.

In the end, the individual is always responible for his own actions, but to deny the influence of religion on people is extremely naive, bordering dishonesty and idiocy.

At least we can agree that the individual is responsible. And not once did I deny that people are influenced by religion. They are still free to make their own choices.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Impossible, Pat Robertson hasn't authored a single book of any religious Holy Book. That was the statement I commented on.

Reading skills...

Its not his fault... religion has done this to him.
Spending your whole life depending upon some decaying books scribbled by child raping sand people will always end poorly.

That statement was never made nor suggested. He was suggesting that mr Robertson was the one depending on the scripture. And since he is a Christian, it must be the bible.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
How does it 'fit Christianity'? Who authored a NT text that was a 'child rapist'? By extension, which OT author was a 'child-rapist' or accused of being one? Who? I'm only aware of Muhammad as an author of a religious text who was a child-rapist, and as Adj points out apparently Joseph Smith.

According to Christians the Holy Spirit spoke through all the authors of the bible, so that would be the holy spirit.

The Virgin Mary was 13 when she had Jesus. She was impregnated by the Holy Spirit.

Do the math.

She married Joseph and accompanied him to Bethlehem, where Jesus was born.[4] In keeping with Jewish custom, the betrothal would have taken place when she was around 12, and the birth of Jesus about a year later.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...(mother_of_Jesus)

edit on 11-9-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

And not once did I deny that people are influenced by religion.

Seems like you did here though,

Religion is not at fault. Those who use it for their own gain, are.

You didn't suggest that the fault lies solely with the people buying into it?

If you are an atheist, why are you so adament about only blaming individuals for clear religious issues?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Robertson refers to the woman in question as a "rebellious child," and says, “This man’s got to stand up to her and he can’t let her get away with this stuff."

“I don’t think we condone wife-beating these days but something has got to be done.”

So now a marital dispute becomes a problem that the 700 Club wants to define as female, smart mouthed rebellion and Christian men have to do something about it!? Damn those Muslim men who still can do something about it! Jealous much, yes I think so.

What has to be done, Pat? What can a good Christian man do to keep his mouthy opinionated wife in line!? It seems to be a real big problem!
Cut her allowance, take away her driving and phone privileges, lock her in a closet?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RockHarder

I'm sorry that you seem confused by my position. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just can't see BLAMING an inanimate object (a gun) or an inanimate set of tenets (religion) for the actions of man. I don't know how else to say it. Religion is a THING, with no will or mind of its own. The people who abuse and misuse it are to blame.

As far as being an atheist... that doesn't mean that I don't support the rights of ALL people. Read my signature. As a country, we have the right to practice religion. I choose not to, but that doesn't mean I want to take away others right to practice it!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Somebody should advise the good Rev....

There are three times as many pet shelters in this Country than women shelters.

Not saying to kick the dog.

Just Saying...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join