It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My giant turtle mystery!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Wow. I nearly forgot about this! Not the subject, only that I had made a thread.

I wish I had better news by now, but I don't really. In the beginning, I felt like the university would be forthcoming with information and keep me updated. Obviously, they have not. I know they looked at the area, but they did not tell me when. I know they took artifacts, but they did not share what they were. They said I would be informed, but I was not. Though, they did ask for me to point them in the right direction to find some human remains nearby. I told them where that property was, but I kind of wish I had not.

Even after all their interest and even having found artifacts at the site, they are saying they cannot really confirm 100% that this is an effigy mound! but told me there were many in the area that have since been farmed out of existence. Why doesn't anyone seem to care about them?? It is baffling to me.

An older man who lives near the site remembers when they came through in the 60s. He claims that they took from him artifacts he found on his own property, including very large spear heads. Like 10-12 inches long at least and quite wide and heavy. They wouldn't let him keep even one! Even though arrowhead hunting is very popular in our area, and doesn't seem to bother them. Those spear heads are not among the ones displayed at the university. I checked.

I have met an older archeologist and doctor who worked there for many years. He thinks he has seen those spear heads, but says that there is much more packed away than what is available for the public to see. It is possible to get a look at some of the stuff, but not as easy to get someone to pull out exactly what you are looking for. He also told me, I was unlikely to ever find the outcome I was hoping for there, unless they see an opportunity for profit.

I will get back into my pics to share a few more if anyone is interested, and may be able to get you some more history. The small town has opened their own very little museum and I'm keen to check it out soon!

If you have ideas or input, especially info on native culture.. It is a dream of mine, to get to the bottom of this!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
is this gonna be another of those threads that reach 50 pages still with no real details and people being strung along by lots and lots of posts by the op.
i'd be interested in this if i believed it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm not trying to make you believe anything. Here is a geographic anomaly that I find interesting. Given the number of known burial and effigy mounds in the area, the existence of this mound is not so extraordinary, but the size is awesome!

After the flooding in recent years, they found remains of more native villages on a farm only a few miles away. The rest of these sites are not secret or generally thought of as mysterious. However, the lack of local interest in the ancient cultures that we are stomping over, farming over, and have all but forgotten, really concerns me. I feel a personal connection to this land, and wish others cared enough to learn rather than just hunting for the best arrowheads and farming the evidence into oblivion.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join