It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigration supporters urge Obama to sign Executive Order to stop upholding The Law

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
Well there is no "right" the US thinks it has. We simply have America in our name, no one else does. We are not saying we are superior and the only "Americans". If you think that is the case that is your problem. It's a question of logic, not ego. It's a problem that is really only faced here as no other country I know of is named after the continent, except Australia, and what are they called again?

Well, we are all "Latin Americans" and we all live on the continent of America, so logically we are in fact americans. Just because the US decided to include it in the formal name of the country doesn't mean they have exclusive right to be called that. Also, it isn't my problem it is a continental issue. The fact that you are not aware of it doesn't mean that it does not exist.
edit on 13-9-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Maybe you missed it, but no one is claiming the US claims exclusive rights. Canadians are "American" as well, but they call themselves Canadians (unless they live in Quebec). The US has America in its' name. It is logical for us to be called American, more so than any other country as we are American by continent and country. If you live in Bolivia you do not call yourself American first, you are Bolivian. Brazil is Brazilian, and so on.

We all have multiple identities. I am from Boston, Massachusetts, I consider myself a Bostonian as well as American. If you live in South America you're an American and no one in the US cares if you call yourself such. By calling us United Statesian the only one who is denying someone else their American heritage is you.

We have gone offtopic, so let's get back OT.

ETA: Just one more thing making my point, and I am done. This is what the people in Libya are saying. Care to guess which country they are talking about?
Sorry, people of America, this not the behavior of our Islam | Libya
edit on 13-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

We have gone offtopic, so let's get back OT.

Sorry but the post being criticized said that the illegals are americans, it was replied that what was meant was US citizens, as if they had exclusive use of the term. Within the context of this thread the person saying that the term did not apply to the illegals is who was denying someone else their American heritage.

As for the OP, as I edited into my first post, I believe that the push to have all americans claim and use the term is the desire of the governments to form an American Union. There's already a Central American Union, South America has MercoSur, who's stance is in opposition of the US, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it swung the other way in future years, and the NAU is pretty much a done deal.

You can be opposed to all of this and that is fine but it is what will probably end up happening sooner or later.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

I am sorry, but I have friends in South American countries and there is no doubt what is meant when I say I am an American. How many "American" countries have America in their name? There is no Brazilian states of America, no Peru de America, and while American as a term can be applied to others, it is a globally recognized term for a citizen of the U.S.A. as well.

Speaking as someone who you would probably consider South American, I can honestly say that it is understood but it is also held that we are all americans. There is a push, as evidenced by the text that I quoted, to remove the right, that the US think it has, to the exclusive use of the word.

edit on 13-9-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Well there is no "right" the US thinks it has. We simply have America in our name, no one else does. We are not saying we are superior and the only "Americans". If you think that is the case that is your problem. It's a question of logic, not ego. It's a problem that is really only faced here as no other country I know of is named after the continent, except Australia, and what are they called again?

You forgot South Africa

<< 1   >>

join