It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless in Miami Find New Outlet Working At Organic Farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This was a tough to figure out which forum to place this in as it could go a few different ways.

Anyhow, just came across this and as always, for me anyway, it is always a pleasure to see some good news amongst all the doom and gloom.

Talk about the trickle down effect. This project helps not only so many, such as the homeless, the local restaurants that receive the healthy fresh food, but earth as well.

Snips from the article:

As part of an innovative effort to tackle Miami’s problem with homelessness, Xavier Wright has traded the streets of downtown for a live-in community farm project in south Florida that grows produce for an upscale restaurant.
Wright, 25, said it’s his first steady job in two years.
“I love this. I love being outside, I love working with my hands,” said Wright, wearing a straw hat to shield himself from Florida’s relentless summer sun.
Verde Gardens, a $17.2 million, 145-unit complex built for Miami’s formerly homeless, boasts a 22-acre (9-hectare) organic farm planted with a variety of fruits and vegetables from potatoes to bananas and pigeon peas.
Wright, who previously served in the U.S. Marine Corps in Iraq, had resided in a homeless shelter with his 6-year-old autistic son before moving to Verde Gardens.

Read the rest of the Article HERE

Wouldnt this be great if they mowed down condemned buildings which are doing nothing and created more of these farms all across the states?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

When I read this I thought homeless with a 6 year old autistic son has got to be incredibly rough to do. No wonder he is homeless. Yes they need to do this everywhere, although I am not crazy that the produce goes to upscale restaurants. Shouldn't it go toward feeding other homeless people?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

This is how you really solve a problem; by getting out there and doing. We can't just sit on our asses hoping that the corrupt government is going to suddenly start caring about our futures, we must go out and create them ourselves.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

If the program can't sustain itself financially then all those formerly homeless people will again be in that situation.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

When I read this I thought homeless with a 6 year old autistic son has got to be incredibly rough to do. No wonder he is homeless. Yes they need to do this everywhere, although I am not crazy that the produce goes to upscale restaurants. Shouldn't it go toward feeding other homeless people?

Unfounatly if the farm went to feeding the homeless the return would be nill.

They sell the produce to the restaurants to make a profit so they can house the homeless.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Thank you OP for the great news! SnF. Needs a bump tomorrow. This is great. It's called capitalism. Profit for all. We need more of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think this is a marvelous idea and applaud the efforts of the people that are making this happen.

I couldn't help but wonder, though, how long it will be before the FDA shuts them down or the work is turned over to illegal immigrant workers.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Condommed buildings you say? Check out my thread Here about Vertical Farming. Farming can be done just about anywhere if the right minds get to work.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Wouldnt this be great if they mowed down condemned buildings which are doing nothing and created more of these farms all across the states?

Yeah but homeless people use abandoned buildings as shanty towns which leaves them exposed to the rain and dew. The idea is to not swap them having shelter for food, or you haven't really won anything. What should be done is owners of abandoned buildings and warehouses donate them to the homeless to make shelters out of and then volunteers and businesses can come in and donate time and materials to make those buildings more homey and less exposed to the elements.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I know what you mean about people using the old buildings, but many times there are clusters of them. Perhaps tear down a few for the farm space and fix the remaining for the workers

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Yeah but homeless people use abandoned buildings as shanty towns which leaves them exposed to the rain and dew. The idea is to not swap them having shelter for food, or you haven't really won anything. What should be done is owners of abandoned buildings and warehouses donate them to the homeless to make shelters out of and then volunteers and businesses can come in and donate time and materials to make those buildings more homey and less exposed to the elements.

There's always a downer in every crowd. Why not celebrate proactive action? Who else is going to use that space? Independence is the answer. Don't keep the people in check.......let THEM decide. I'm sure the people aren't complaining about their living situations. This is what it's all about. Too sad people like you can't figure it out.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

There's always a downer in every crowd. Why not celebrate proactive action? Who else is going to use that space? Independence is the answer. Don't keep the people in check.......let THEM decide. I'm sure the people aren't complaining about their living situations. This is what it's all about. Too sad people like you can't figure it out.

"Too bad people like you can't figure it out".

Right, i can't figure it out because i'd like to give them not just food but shelter? I think sir, it is you who can't figure it out.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Gridrebel

"Too bad people like you can't figure it out".

Right, i can't figure it out because i'd like to give them not just food but shelter? I think sir, it is you who can't figure it out.
So WHAT exactly is it that I can't figure out? Your first sentence includes the word HOMELESS and then you go on to describe abuse. The homeless shouldn't be critisized for making use of available resources. It's not like they create mold and mildew.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

new topics

join