It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

56% of NYC Abortions ar Repeats

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Contraceptives are not 100% effective. So unplanned pregnancies can and do happen all the time to very well-off people and educated folks as well. I think we only serve to push the issue into "class warfare" territory by taking a narrow-minded stance.

Boy...

You really like to make assumptions and put words in other members mouths while pushing your version of morality don't you?

When & Where did I post that contraceptives were 100% effective? I also, highly doubt that "Educated people" [I've said nothing about "Well off"] would make the repeatedly mistake of getting themselves pregnant.

Also, kids are going to have sex no matter what. They have since the beginning of time and will till the end. It's not a matter of intellectual will, but an animal instinct inside us all. Sex is gonna happen. Nothing we can do about it.

Where did I make the argument they wouldn't have sex? Of course they will. I'd rather them use a condom [Which does cut down on STDs and pregnancies] Whether you'll like to admit it or not and in spite of it not being it's 100 % effective

Only 38% of the abortions were covered by medicare. Leaving the rest to take care of it themselves or other insurance coverage.......so I think your "foodstamp/welfare" comment may be irrelevant and does not properly label the majority of people having abortions in NYC.

I was referring to that 38%
If the others are footing the bill for their own actions then it's none of my business.....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Pregnancy and the process of giving birth and raising a child is a life changing situation. It's the reality of the world we live in that many people feel that they simply cannot either afford to go through it or simply don't want to. Its their body, its their decision. End of discussion, you have no say over a woman's body. You're not a shareholder in anybody's reproductive system.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Oh, and also... there is no such thing as an 'accidental' pregnancy when you are willfully allowing a man to put sperm inside your body. Everyone knows how children are made, damnit.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If it is such a horrible thing to live with why do it multiple times?

I agree it is their choice. I am more concerned with what this is saying about society as a whole. Why do people feel like sex is a leisure activity to take part in with no worries about the consequences? Why do people see pregnancy as an inconvenience that can easily be fixed?

Two people chose to have sex knowing the risks. It's not some big secret what could happen. I don't think abortions should be banned, but they shouldn't be as widely available as say walking into Wal-Mart and picking up a Playstation.

Should that mean limits on the amount of abortions a woman can have? I don't know...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I see people say that the 'alternative' is women having babies and bringing them up in dysfunctional families, which could lead to children growing up to become delinquents and still end up being a cost on taxpayers, BUT what about the waiting list of quality people, desperately waiting to adopt?

Then there's going to be the added pressure to this system, when more and more gay married couples, start lining up to also adopt.

How about letting people go through their pregnancy and then giving child up for adoption?

Sorry but I just can't stomach the abortion endemic that's been foisted on us all. The creation and birth of a child is such a wondrous thing, yet abortion has lowered it down to something akin to stomping on a BUG!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think people that are against abortion should also be against eating eggs. That could have been a bird! (But the chicken eggs aren't fertilized they say, it's just base proteins not a conscious creature. Well hey, isn't that exactly what is in a woman's womb before a fetus develops brain activity? Just a puddle of primordial goo?)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You really like to make assumptions and put words in other members mouths while pushing your version of morality don't you?

Chill out for a second. I am not putting words in people mouths. They were my own. You wouldn't be making assumptions, now would you?

When & Where did I post that contraceptives were 100% effective?

I said that and I didn't claim that you did.

I also, highly doubt that "Educated people" [I've said nothing about "Well off"] would make the repeatedly mistake of getting themselves pregnant.

You can doubt whatever you wish, but according to this report 62% of these people did not pay for it with Medicare. That means they had the resources to pay with other means.

So apparently educated, well-off people have abortions in higher numbers.

Where did I make the argument they wouldn't have sex?

I didn't say that you did make that statement.

Of course they will. I'd rather them use a condom [Which does cut down on STDs and pregnancies] Whether you'll like to admit it or not and in spite of it not being it's 100 % effective

What happens when they do get pregnant even if they used contraception? So we label them welfare-collecting morons as you so eloquently postulated in a previous post?

edit on 10-9-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Why is one life form more important to you than another? A bug you might step on has a conscious active mind, working to fill a function. Quite unlike an embryo which doesn't show brain activity until after six weeks. If six weeks isn't enough time to decide on abortion, then yes it must be called off. But know this: every life form on Earth is equally important, even if your inflated human ego doesn't allow you to see it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hey here's a fun question: how many politicians that are publicly speaking out against abortion have paid for a mistress to have an abortion so that a marital indiscretion might be kept secret? However many abortions you think have been performed, well, go ahead and add some more to that figure. Many secret abortions.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1 and more gay married couples, start lining up to also adopt.

How about letting people go through their pregnancy and then giving child up for adoption?

How about letting the individual in question choose which is best for them? Being a man, I wouldn't know, but from what I hear, the birthing process is an extremely unpleasant situation. I cannot fault any woman for not wanting to go through that.

Not your womb, not your fetus, not your life, not your call.

Nice subtle dig at gay marriage there, by the way.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
as already posted, how is it anyone's business what someone else does with their body?

woman or man, i don't want your opinion on what's right or wrong for me to do.

my womb, my testes, my lungs, my brain.. key word... MINE

keep out of my body, and my business...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

If we based our decisions on the moral practices of politicians, well...

Actually I think I feel this way in general.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Typical regressive mindset blaming poor people for everything while perpetuating falsehoods.

I also have issues with my tax dollars being spent in this manner and esp by people who don't give a damn about whose paying for their poor judgement repeatedly.

Medicaid only allows for funding with rape that occurs from rape, injury to the mother, or incest.

In September 1993, Congress rewrote the provision to include Medicaid funding for abortions in cases where the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest. The present version of the Hyde Amendment requires coverage of abortion in cases of rape, incest, and life endangerment.

www.prochoice.org...

nstead of teaching them to be permanently welfare people on the dole]

The federal welfare bill gives a 5 LIFETIME limit for people to be on welfare. Most states have a shorter limit that overrides the federal, generally at 2-3 years. You cannot stay on welfare for a lifetime.

edit on 10-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

41% of all NY pregnancies end in abortion? What constitutes and abortion? Is the morning after pill an abortion? Does this statistic also reflect abortifacients?

I don't trust those figures not to be manipulated one bit!

edit on 10-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Here's an idea, if you don't want an abortion, don't have one. Don't force your values down other people's throats.

I wonder what would happen if MSNBC released a story with the headline of:

100% of all fatal shootings are committed with firearms. And then proceeded to explain why all guns should be banned.

Same thing really. There are murders where guns are involved, so therefore we should ban all guns because some people choose to use a gun to murder other people.

Same logic.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

And this is the whole problem with the abortion "debate". Theyve turned it into another polarizing issue for the sake of politicization.

"Its my "right", "what about the baby's rights", "its not a baby", etc.

Fact is that an incredibly high percentage of abortions (~99%) are simply birth control which is reprehensible.

The focus HAS to be on AVOIDING PREGNANCIES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

edit on 10-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Why is one life form more important to you than another? A bug you might step on has a conscious active mind, working to fill a function. Quite unlike an embryo which doesn't show brain activity until after six weeks. If six weeks isn't enough time to decide on abortion, then yes it must be called off. But know this: every life form on Earth is equally important, even if your inflated human ego doesn't allow you to see it.

Ummm, you seem to be very misinformed...6 weeks...called off???

From the 15th week of gestation until approximately the 26th, other techniques must be used. Dilation and evacuation (D&E) consists of opening the cervix of the uterus and emptying it using surgical instruments and suction. Premature labor and delivery can be induced with prostaglandin; this can be coupled with injecting the amniotic fluid with hypertonic solutions containing saline or urea. After the 16th week of gestation, abortions can also be induced by intact dilation and extraction (IDX) (also called intrauterine cranial decompression), which requires surgical decompression of the fetus's head before evacuation.

Abortion rates also vary depending on the stage of pregnancy and the method practiced. In 2003, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that 26% of abortions in the United States were known to have been obtained at less than 6 weeks' gestation, 18% at 7 weeks, 15% at 8 weeks, 4.1% at 16 through 20 weeks and 1.4% at more than 21 weeks. 90.9% of these were classified as having been done by "curettage" (suction-aspiration, Dilation and curettage, Dilation and evacuation), 7.7% by "medical" means (mifepristone), 0.4% by "intrauterine instillation" (saline or prostaglandin), and 1.0% by "other" (including hysterotomy and hysterectomy).

Also claiming that our 'lifeforms' are ONLY equal to that of a bugs, is just showing your ludicrous liberal leanings.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1 and more gay married couples, start lining up to also adopt.

How about letting the individual in question choose which is best for them? Being a man, I wouldn't know, but from what I hear, the birthing process is an extremely unpleasant situation. I cannot fault any woman for not wanting to go through that.

Not your womb, not your fetus, not your life, not your call.

Nice subtle dig at gay marriage there, by the way.

BTW, I was present at both my children's births and supported by wife during one long & one very short procedure (never even made it to the hospital with the second one), and I can say that YES, it's hellishly PAINFUL for the mother, and emotionally taxing for the father, but so it has been for thousands of years...get used to it.

If giving birth is the issue, use CONTRACEPTION!

What's wrong with gay marriage and their rights to adopt??? a DIG???
edit on 10-9-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The focus HAS to be on AVOIDING PREGNANCIES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Exactly - which is was Family Planning was all about - until it was crushed by the religious right. Now, it's taboo to teach sex ed, and Family Planning was defunded. The result? A bunch of hormonal teenagers have sex and getting knocked up.

This doesn't change the fact one of the premises in the Breitbart article was false - Medicaid does not fund abortions except, as previously mentioned, for rape, incest, and life-endangerment to the mother. It cannot be used as a form of casual "birth control".

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
OMG,.
Time to close that port

I mean really now,..

must be something in the water
No wonder my girlfriend is soooo horny when the comes back from NY every week

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join