It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God stamped on US money. for or against removing and why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

From your source...

Proudly made in America, United States coin and currency exhibit the strength, security, confidence and excellence that are the hallmarks of our nation.

What?

No outsourcing to Taiwan yet?
The Pentagon does it to save Billions....
edit on 11-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Annee

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing. They've got a factory in D.C. and San Antonio. And for more than you ever wanted to know about it: www.moneyfactory.gov...

Yes - - actually I've been there.

I guess its a bit confusing. Too late for me to research.

Who owns the money? Government? They print it - - or Federal Reserve. Isn't the Federal Reserve more like a bank?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Is someone getting rid of God on money, or is this just another
made up controversy on behalf of the Right Wing?

It just smells like it is...

Otherwise, does anyone have a link?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepresident

Honestly - I think Romney is just reaching for anything.

There have been lawsuits against God on money for a long long time. Before Obama was born.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
According to the 2003 poll about 90% of Americans agree with the Nations Official Motto, " In God We Trust" being on the currency. The people want it, Congress wants it. This is why the lawsuits have failed to stop it.. and they never will. It will only be removed when the powers that be and the people decide to change the motto and take it off the money.

Apparently, the people and the government felt the phrase E pluribus unum, "Out of many, one" wasn't a strong enough sentiment to base a nation on. Especially if you're going to leave it in Latin which most people would not know. As most of the countries peoples had some form of God based religion, this was a simple powerful solution to the problem.

I believe it's a very eloquent statement. It reminds us of the stories of how Gods people prosper if they are in His favor and how the Nation can prosper as a nation under God. It also reminds us to handle our affairs with money in an ethical manner. I can't see anything wrong with it at all.

This comes from a guy with no debt, uses no banks, has no credit cards and buys everything with cash only when it's needed and can be afforded without having to borrow. Gods ethics taught me how to be responsible with my money.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Honestly - I think Romney is just reaching for anything.

There have been lawsuits against God on money for a long long time. Before Obama was born.

So it's made up?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thepresident

It's neither of those. Obama is making up a controversy where none exists.

"I will not take God out of the name of our platform," said Romney to thunderous applause. "I will not take God off our coins and I will not take God out of my heart. We're a nation that's bestowed by God."

news.yahoo.com...

There's no charge that anyone is taking God off anything. This one is really dumb.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Article. VI. shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

So what part of keep your religion out of my government are you confused by?

Practice all the praying you want, that's your Right, but do as your bible commands &

Matthew 6:6
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
I suspect the GOP is trying to appeal to religious voters. There is no actual ramification of having "God" on the money or not so it's an entirely moot issue, but Sally-Joe from middle America has been raised conservative values so she will vote for a "Christian" candidate who "defends God" from the gay-lover Obammy.

I agree, just pandering to the fundies. God was put on the money because of this, I believe:
Linky

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The generic term "In God We Trust" on the money is true regardless of one's religious affiliation. All humans believe and serve something. In the case of athiests, that god just so happens to be themselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcupobob
God wasn't on U.S tender in till the 50's or so around the time McCarthyism took over, same with the pledge.

It was shoe horned in, and I personally don't like it. However though its not such a big deal that I think it should even be up for a topic for debate, since theres way more pressing issues.

"In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 as an alternative or replacement to the unofficial motto of E pluribus unum, adopted when the Great Seal of the United States was created and adopted in 1782.

In God we trust has appeared on U.S. coins since 1864 and on paper currency since 1957. Some secularists object to usage of the reference.

It is also the motto of the U.S. state of Florida. Its Spanish equivalent, En Dios Confiamos, is the motto of the Republic of Nicaragua.
edit on 11-9-2012 by de_Genova because: text

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'd like to see us move toward a more secular government as much as the next sensible person, but taking the word off the money is probably the LEAST effective way to do that. I don't really care if it says, "Shake your Bootie" on the money, as long as our laws don't reflect the sanctioning of religion. I MUCH prefer, E Pluribus Unum.

We have a lot more important things to deal with than what the money says.

The fact that Romney is calling on God to help him get elected is despicable! If I were a Christian, I would be furious for his attempt to manipulate Christians into voting for him by throwing God's name out there.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Disagree with removing it. I am not religous in any way, shape or form, however, to me, this is part of our countries founding, and a tradition if you will. I guess it boils down to this for me...it's a non issue, and seriously, if you are so offended by it, it's time to seek psychiatric help...just like the taking away of holiday celebrations in school...I remember those so fondly as a kid, now it's damn near a crime to say Merry Christmas...I always relate my experiences with some of my customers...there are those, that when I take to lunch or dinner, want to say grace...I don't get my panties in a bind and refuse...I show them respect, by respecting their belief.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

That could easily be flipped around as an argument for God being on the money. If he is on the money then we should do like Jesus said and give it to him...
reply to post by MeesterB

I don't agree with you that the argument could be easily flipped around. Jesus was very clear that His Kingdom was not of this world. In addition, He threw the money changers out of the Temple. Jesus is not at all concerned with Money. He is concerned with us living up to His teachings.

That's what I'm saying. I just meant that it can be easily and ignorantly used to argue for putting God on money.

Regardless, I don't care if God is on the money or not because I know the U.S. is on a secular free-fall. Abortion is way more concerning.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It should'nt have been put there in the first place. The Great Spirit has no need for a piece of paper. Mammon and God are to be seperate. It's actually quite blasphemous. That why so many are misguided these days. They chase after the wrong things. "You should thirst for God like a deer in a desert searching for an oasis".

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm for removing it, because I don't agree with using Source for political gain. When we stop focusing on MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...I'll agree with putting it back on.

Actually, scratch that. Keep it off. Money has nothing to do with Source, so why put it on there?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by thepresident

It's neither of those. Obama is making up a controversy where none exists.

"I will not take God out of the name of our platform," said Romney to thunderous applause. "I will not take God off our coins and I will not take God out of my heart. We're a nation that's bestowed by God."

news.yahoo.com...

There's no charge that anyone is taking God off anything. This one is really dumb.

So Obama made up a controversy, by making Romney
Open his mouth???

Charles, that is pretty silly, Charles .

Romney created the subject, didn't you notice?

edit on 11-9-2012 by thepresident because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

So Obama made up a controversy, by making Romney
Open his mouth???

Charles, that is pretty silly, Charles .

Romney created the subject, didn't you notice?

edit on 11-9-2012 by thepresident because: (no reason given)

There is a complete disconnect with some on the right with reality, isn't there.

Next, Obama will be blamed for Romney being a morman (wait till the evangelicals find out what mormans believe. heh..no worries there actually, they don't research)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Federal Reserve Notes are owned by a private bank. The US simply uses these borrowed notes as currency. Now you know... and knowing is half the battle.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresident and SaturnFX

The world is complicated enough. Adding misunderstandings to the mix makes it impenetrable. Let me try to explain my thoughts.

Romney began by saying that he wouldn't take God out of the platform. Certainly, the DNC had, perhaps at Obama's direction. It was an accomplished fact.

I believe that in response to that, Romney was saying "Not only won't I take it out of the platform, as the Democrats did, I won't take it out of anywhere. I won't take it off our money, and I will not take it out of my heart and beliefs."

The idea that Romney was saying that the Democrats have a plan to take God off our coins, was created by the Democrat, or Obama, side, then used to criticize Romney. There is no verification from a reporter with a follow up question, there's nothing on his web site about it, I don't know of another significant Republican who is claiming it. In fact, the one follow up I saw gave this:

Romney campaign adviser Kevin Madden said Romney was not referring to any push to remove “God” from U.S. currency, but said the candidate was referring “to an example of where a principle like ‘In God We Trust’ is already on public display.”

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

There's no evidence for the charge that Romney believes the Democrats have a plan to remove God from coins.

Politifact, which has never been accused of even tilting right says this:

Appearing in Virginia Beach, Va., on Sept. 8, 2012, Romney recited the Pledge of Allegiance, then continued, "The promises that were made in that pledge are promises I plan on keeping if I'm president, and I've kept them so far in my life. That pledge says ‘under God.’ I will not take ‘God’ out of the name of our platform. I will not take ‘God’ off our coins and I will not take God out of my heart."

Because Romney didn’t directly accuse President Barack Obama of removing "In God We Trust" from the nation’s coins, we haven't put his comment to the Truth-O-Meter.
He was simply promising that he wouldn't, as the context shows.

www.politifact.com...

So, yes, I believe that this was twisted by the Obama campaign with the intention of making a controversy where none existed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join