It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salton Sea likely source of rotten egg smell in SoCal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriusstarlight
I have news for you all.

California is home to the most evolved humans on the planet. Yes, there are some not so evolved one's here. But California is home to the largest concentration of people who have higher consciousness and that means survival of the fittest. Natural selection will pick us.

I think that California is going to become an island while the rest of the USA sinks. Wouldn't that be ironic.

Of course! We'll survive and the rest of that fly-over stuff in the middle between LA & NY that
doesn't matter will sink! Sometimes I forget we're the center of the universe.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Dutchsinse. Really?

If thats your source, I'd say run down to the grocery and get some more tinfoil, yours hit its expiration date.

Why not reference Sorcha Faal as well?

You WILL NOT be taken seriously when you reference either of these known bozos/hoaxers. Oh they have their minions of believers, and I'm sure I will be attacked for my opinion. Check my signature as to why that might be.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I believe the Salton Sea is responsible for the foul smell people are reporting.

My concern is, is it just the winds that are stirring up the sediments on the bottom of the lake, or are these small earthquakes doing some moving and shifting down there
I believe there are serveral faults that intersect in the area.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Here is a link to a map of foul odor reports.

Image Source

I'm having a really hard time buying that this smell is from decay. Is it possible that the hyper saline water of the Salton Sea acts as a cap over any volcanic gases that accumulate? Then this strong storm agitated the shallow sea water (50meter) allowing the gases to escape.

Another ATS poster found some cool youtube videos of new(er) mud pots in the area--post found here.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

That picture says a lot. You would definitely think Palm Springs would have smelled it being just upwind and between the Salton Sea and Los Angeles
, but not one complaint from that area.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Hey, wait a minute! Forgive me if I'm off here, I'm in Florida, not California, but just going from iffy memory, isn't that stink report zone about the general run of the fault line?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

If you compare the map above with the USGS map (zoomed into southern California), the smell seems to have stayed south of the San Anrdreas Fault. It was most likely trapped by the mountains.

It looks like the foul smell is officially from hydrogen sulfide. (scroll down to the toxicity section--yikes)

The South Coast Air Quality Management District said it had taken samples from 10 locations in the Inland Empire, Coachella Valley and near the Salton Sea. The samples showed a progression of hydrogen sulfide levels that were strongest near the sea.

The agency said the high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide were not enough to cause "irreversible harm to human health."

...but short-term harm?

Source

I'm curious to learn the concentration levels collected. It would seem that they would have to be incredibly high near the source, to be detected 150 miles away, especially with the wind pushing it 50 mph, according to the linked article.
edit on 9/12/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Excuse if this has already been posted:
9/13/2012 -- Volcanic Eruption possible near Salton Sea -- San Diego County California

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join