It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salton Sea likely source of rotten egg smell in SoCal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
im surprised no one brought this up yet! this happens in the hollywood movie "Volcano" in downtown LA.

I def think this is seismic as well.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Fish kill as the rotten egg smell source? My backside. I've smelled plenty of red tide kills down here in FL in my life, not one smelled like fricking sulfur, they smell like straight up rotting fish.
I'm willing to bet a pretty penny that the smell is seismic in origin, whether it be just disturbed gas pockets from the swarms that have begun venting, or a precursor to something big.
edit on 9/10/2012 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Here is another MSM article that pretty much dismisses the rotten fish theory:

Foul smell reported across Southern California

But Andrew Schlange, interim general manager of the Salton Sea Authority, told NBC4 that it is not yet clear whether the inland sea is the culprit.
"We are in the process of trying to track it down," Schlange said. It would be unusual, he said, for a fish die-off to cause odors so far from the Salton Sea.

I believe this will end up being seismic related...or possilby volcanic. Given the huge area involved and historical info, I'm going with a presursor to a large event
edit on 10-9-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Hi WC, I'm interested on your thoughts,
Did you notice the swarm at Salton Sea today right at the south end
of the SA? Coincidence?

Also, the rotten egg smell was in the news fairly recently but it was San Diego.
Could all this be a build up of some sort over a large area?

The San Fransisco Quake 1906

Also, according to Edgar Larkin (1906), who collected a great many accounts, the odour of hydrogen sulphide was noted in the area of Sausalito. He also reported that sulfurous odors were pungent in Napa County during the night of the 17th and 18th before the upheaval, and lasted all day. . . . From many of the letters it is clear that the entire region north and east of San Francisco is saturated with gases of sulfur origin. . . .

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ugh, I just hope this doesnt reach Downtown Los Angeles or else Im gonna have to buy a mask or something.

Wear extra perfume. Yuck

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I lived in LA for 4 years, Oceanside, CA for 3. Never smelled that. I've been to and by the Salton Sea countless times and never smelled that. The sea also is not THAT large, more like a large dead lake. I also can't believe any smell coming from there would still be pungent in LA, so much so that people think they have sewer issues. I'd have to cross the mountains too without dispersing.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
or maybe its california slowly sinking into hell for gathering the largest amounts of filth, shallowness, inhumanity and perversion the world as ever seen.

Spoken like one who probably never visited there. Let me guess, you would not happen to be a Right wing Christian would you? The giveaway is talk of hell followed by a whole bunch of reality-free ranting.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

Well, I know they have had continued quakes in the area and I saw your posting of the list of quakes from today. Yes...it makes me suspicous. I don't believe in coincidences.

Having said that, we need to remember that the brawley seismic zone (under the salton sea) is a triple junction with the San Andreas being one of them (north end). I think a lot depends on which fault those quakes come from.

That LA is suffering from this smell (to the North), makes me a bit suspicous of the San Andreas being involved, which is ofcourse a worst-case scenario. Lets hope it is something inoccent and not a precursor to something deadly.

Hmmm...just saw this: Methane seeping from fault off Del Mar
edit on 10-9-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I think there is going to be a huge earthquake within 24 hours.

Tomorrow is 9/11.

Crappy crap happens on that day.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My judgement is telling me to GTFO of the state but how do I tell my boss that I think there might be a massive earthquake in the next couple days and I'm leaving town? Haha

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

socal stinks?

how ironic.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

I'm in san Diego and I smelled nothing out of the ordinary. I have been following the story about the smell around the IE, Perris, R.Side and LA. Nothing here even a few weeks ago or what have you.

I am curious to see what comes of this. Seismic activity seems to be where it's heading towards.

I do recall, however, either earlier this year or last, smoke pillars/plumes coming out of east county from where I live. Around the Temecula area I I recall. Correctly. Could just be gas venting.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This is total bs..... I can't believe they are trying to say its from dead fish. Sulfur does not smell like dead fish!!!

Sheeeeeeew weeeeeeeeee!

Praying for our brothers and sisters in California.

I have this feeling that once the big one happens in California, the New Madrid will react soon after.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
I assume a gas leak wouldn't be the culprit with that large of an area being affected, in my area that smell is usualy a key indication of a gas leak but I dont believe the smell carries that far. Just far enough to find the leak I suppose.

Someone light a match?... Lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Nope natural gas has no smell. What you smell from gas pipes leak is a sulfer additive not the gas its self.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

That's pretty harsh.

I think that Texas has done more harm than California will ever.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Isn't this just a touch north of where the swarms of EQs happened?

Strong sulfur smell covering a large area with many faults makes me nervous.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

Exactly, and there is evidence of a sulfurous smell being in the air prior to large EQ's. There are some stories about it earlier in the thread. I can't believe the authorities and experts aren't putting 2 and 2 together here. Dead fish? Really? That's just another swamp gas line IMO. All we can do is prepare though.

If the San Andreas went off around the inland empire area, what are the chances of San Diego being rocked? Just curious since I live here. Any guesses?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

You sir are correct. The rotten egg smell in natural gas IS an additive put threre specifically because natural gas has no detectable odor.

That said,

especially after learning of the accounts from eyewitnesses to 1906, and knowing about the large methane plumes off the coast; I think it's safe to say Cali has a big one comin' soon.

This might be a good time to visit some relatives anywhere else.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
Isn't this just a touch north of where the swarms of EQs happened?

Yes it is, right at the south end of the San Andreas.
And there was another swarm yesterday. However,
the local MSM is sticking with the dead fish story.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Some info I found re: major quakes and foul smells:

Eye-witness Accounts of Several Major Earthquakes

Thomas Gold - 1987

trilogymedia.com.au...

One more:

Sulfur smells were reported in the region quite awhile before the first quake in 1811. However, since the sulfur smells have now been reported for quite awhile in the current time, and since the reports of sulfur smells increased before the recent earthquake in Missouri - this would seem to imply that a quake is near. With the recent Missouri quake perhaps even being a fore quake

globalrumblings.blogspot.com...
edit on 11-9-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brujobrett13
My judgement is telling me to GTFO of the state but how do I tell my boss that I think there might be a massive earthquake in the next couple days and I'm leaving town? Haha

Tell him you feel like you might be getting the flu.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join