It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flat Earth theory, With Interviews from believers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeWayz

Would you do that if they paid you 1 million dollars?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I always have a good chuckle when people get duped by the flat-earthers.

For those of you taking this seriously......The flat-earthers are a bunch of role-players taking the pi$$ out of extreme conspiracy buffs.

This is all a big fabricated joke that was designed to bring the weirdo's out of the woodwork and get them posting pseudo theories that can't be dis-proven(usually they can't be proven either, but that is beside the point).

Everyone that falls for it is another victory for them.

edit on 10/9/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well you got to think ouside the box a bit. Like really think about it. Like look at a map of your city, or state, or country or world, it's all flat. Then go outside, all is flat. So in a strange way from our vantage point in everyday life, it is flat indeed.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Ghost375

Are you a flat earther?

no, but I'm going to defend them until someone comes up with a logical/provable reason why the earth is spherical.
I don't like people mocking others because they have a different belief than they do.

P.S. I know exactly how they "proved" the Earth is round.
I can all but guarantee no one on this website will be able to do it.

The data used to "prove" the Earth is round, was first used to prove the Earth was flat!!!
You heard me right. The data(astronomical positions) that proves the Earth is round, can also show the Earth is flat.

life would not exist on planet earth without the magnetosphere protecting us from the solar winds literally blowing our atmosphere away into space. the magnetosphere is courtesy of our molten Iron core at the center of our spherical earth

where is the molten iron core in the flat earth model ?

lol
edit on 10-9-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I always have a good chuckle when people get duped by the flat-earthers.

For those of you taking this seriously......The flat-earthers are a bunch of role-players taking the pi$$ out of extreme conspiracy buffs.

This is all a big fabricated joke that was designed to bring the weirdo's out of the woodwork and get them posting pseudo theories that can't be dis-proven(usually they can't be proven either, but that is beside the point).

Everyone that falls for it is another victory for them.

edit on 10/9/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

Dude, I hope you're right.

Numpty-ism is on the rise here on ATS.

I think I need to stop coming on here for a while

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

We're dealing with the scientific method here. Nobody told me to just believe the earth was round, it's something I've learned from many many different sources, it's something that is basic science, history and physics. I can go outside my house at night and watch satellites in orbit for one thing. I can observe the moon and other solar bodies, their movements etc. I can read FFS!

and FFS all you're saying is you read it somewhere so it must be true.

There are many reasonable explanations for the motion of the moon and planets, that involves a flat earth.

And I take it you've never studied philosophy or Descartes....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

Are you a flat earther?

no, but I'm going to defend them until someone comes up with a logical/provable reason why the earth is spherical.
I don't like people mocking others because they have a different belief than they do.

The data used to "prove" the Earth is round, was first used to prove the Earth was flat!!!
You heard me right. The data(astronomical positions) that proves the Earth is round, can also show the Earth is flat.

life would not exist on planet earth without the magnetosphere protecting us from the solar winds literally blowing our atmosphere away into space. the magnetosphere is courtesy of our molten Iron core at the center of our spherical earth

lol

How about you prove there's a molten Iron core....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Are you a flat earther?

lol

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

We're dealing with the scientific method here. Nobody told me to just believe the earth was round, it's something I've learned from many many different sources, it's something that is basic science, history and physics. I can go outside my house at night and watch satellites in orbit for one thing. I can observe the moon and other solar bodies, their movements etc. I can read FFS!

and FFS all you're saying is you read it somewhere so it must be true.

There are many reasonable explanations for the motion of the moon and planets, that involves a flat earth.

And I take it you've never studied philosophy or Descartes....

Where's the edge of the world?

Actually forget it, I don't care, I don't know why I'm even bothering.....

Bye.
edit on 10-9-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Because beliefs are not necessarily based on truth, they can be based on fabrications or conjecture. The only way to know if something is true is through observation, experiment and the schools of logic. The earth being spherical and the effects of gravity on astral bodies are demonstrable facts.

The "researchers" at the flat earth society deny every form of modern science from cosmology to plate tectonics, and their assertions are blatantly dishonest and have no evidence to back them up.

Newtons theories were never used by academics to prove the world was flat, even before his theory was known it was already commonly accepted that the earth was not flat due to the observations of the sun and the moon..

Prove the earth is spherical

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You have to be kidding?

Go on then explain this one?

Nope, learned it in a senior level college class. The data you get from plotting the path of the stars and planets, does fit into a model that shows the Earth is flat. Yes, if you put the data into a model of a round earth, it's more parsimonious, but the data was first used to show the earth was flat, and the data does fit.

ALL I'm saying is to stop mocking people based on their beliefs until you can disprove it beyond a reasonable doubt. and even then DONT MOCK THEM. Just because you've been taught it all your life, doesn't make it true.....I can think of a ton of things they taught me in elementary school that turned out to be false. colombus discovering america, how pilgrims treated native americans, I could go on and on.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Where's the edge of the world?

Antarctica is supposed to be the rim of the world. Check out their website, there are a bunch of maps and things that explain their reasoning.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

We know by our observations of the laws of physics, and the study of seismology, unless you consider these two fields bunk, but again the facts are demonstrable. These observations and studies have been conducted by thousands of scientists for the last century. But I guess they are all part of the reptilian conspiracy, or they are being deceived by the super devil.

Gutenberg Seismic Discontinuity / Core-Mantle Boundary

Seismic waves recorded at increasing distances from an earthquake indicate that seismic velocities gradually increase with depth in the mantle (exceptions: see Low Velocity Zone and 670 km Discontinuity above). However, at arc distances of between about 103° and 143° no P waves are recorded. Furthermore, no S waves are record beyond about 103°. Gutenberg (1914) explained this as the result of a molten core beginning at a depth of around 2900 km. Shear waves could not penetrate this molten layer and P waves would be severely slowed and refracted (bent).

Lehman Siesmic Discontinuity / The Inner Core

Between 143° and 180° from an earthquake another refraction is recognized (Lehman, 1936) resulting from a sudden increase in P wave velocities at a depth of 5150 km. This velocity increase is consistent with a change from a molten outer core to a solid inner core.

What Causes the Earth's Magnetic Field?
Early ideas about what caused the compass needle to point toward the north included some divine attraction to the polestar (North Star), or attraction to large masses of iron ore in the arctic. A more serious hypothesis considered the Earth or some solid layer within the Earth to be made of iron or other magnetic material forming a permanent magnet. There are two major problems with this hypothesis. First, it became apparent that the magnetic field drifts over time; the magnetic poles move. Second, magnetic minerals only retain a permanent magnetism below their Curie temperature (e.g., 580°C for magnetite). Most of the Earth's interior is hotter than all known Curie temperatures and cooler crustal rocks just don't contain enough magnetic content to account for the magnetic field and crustal magnetization is very heterogeneous in any case.

The discovery of the liquid outer core allowed another hypothesis: the geodynamo. Iron, whether liquid or solid, is a conductor of electricity. Electric currents would therefore flow in molten iron. Moving a flowing electric current generates a magnetic field at a right angle to the electric current direction (basic physics of electromagnetism). The molten outer core convects as a means of releasing heat. This convective motion would displace the flowing electric currents thereby generating magnetic fields. The magnetic field is oriented around the axis of rotation of the Earth because the effects of the Earth's rotation on the moving fluid (coriolis force).

ScienceDaily (Nov. 27, 2006) — For the first time, scientists have directly measured the amount of heat flowing from the molten metal of Earth's core into a region at the base of the mantle, a process that helps drive both the movement of tectonic plates at the surface and the geodynamo in the core that generates Earth's magnetic field.

The boundary between the core and the mantle lies half-way to the center of the Earth, at a depth of 1,740 miles (2,900 kilometers). Seismologists are able to probe the structure of this region by studying its effects on seismic waves generated by earthquakes. The new temperature measurements, published in the November 24 issue of the journal Science, were obtained by relating seismic observations to a recently discovered mineral transformation that occurs at the ultrahigh pressures and temperatures prevailing near the core-mantle boundary.

This gives us the temperature at two different depths right above each other, so we get not just the absolute temperature but the rate at which the temperature is changing with depth, as well as laterally," Lay said. "This temperature gradient tells us the amount of heat flowing out of the core into the base of the mantle in that location."

As heat flows from the outer core into the mantle, it drives important processes in both the mantle and the core. The mantle is a thick layer of silicate rock that surrounds a dense, predominantly iron core. The outer core is molten liquid and surrounds a solid inner core about the size of the moon. The cooling of the liquid outer core results in fluid motions in the molten metal that produce electric currents, which generate the geomagnetic field.

Heating at the base of the mantle, meanwhile, drives upwellings of hot mantle material that may rise to volcanoes at the surface and contribute to the slow shifting of tectonic plates.

edit on 10-9-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

You think it's funny, or you think it's true?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Are you a flat earther?

lol

you're alive

proof

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I haven't heard of anybody falling off the edge.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Does this also mean that our knowledge of the other planets in our solar system is faulty? Are all of the images recorded by satellites complete fabrications? The other planets appear quite spherical. The Earth also appears spherical in images taken at a distance. If it were flat, wouldn't we be able to see all the land masses from space at once?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I gave this thread a S & F just because it was a fun read.

No, I don't believe the Earth is flat. I also didn't find the answers given in the interviews to be well thought out nor intelligent. They seemed like contrived double talk which omitted much proven scientific fact in favor of pointless counter points base on ones own perspective [No pun intended] than acknowledging the fact that there are some very serious weaknesses in this theory IMO. .

For one it's easy to explain a "Fish eye view as a camera lens perspective" giving the impression the horizon curves. Yet, and very glaring are the people who were there or in similar circumstances all agree that they themselves observed the curvature. Has anybody ever asked a flat Earth supporter to explain why North and South of the equator water swirls in opposite directions down a drain?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hey here's some great proof from the flat earth society: www.earthnotaglobe.com...

I especially love page 7 where it basically states that flat earth is correct because God says so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join