It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Power Source

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

This is what you can do when we have an accident- learn from it and ensure it doesn't happen again. Or, overreact and stick your head under a rock, waiting for the day we run out of fossil fuels or the day we pollute the planet enough that it doesn't matter if we have energy or not, because we won't be here.

I must agree with you on that. When the govornment sees something wrong, they just completely forget about it and make sure the same thing happens to the american people. Or, they stick their head under a rock (more like up their butt) and wait till things tide over, which they never do.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
LMAO Die you really hate the government don't you?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You could say that....

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by portfreezer
LMAO Die you really hate the government don't you?

who can blame him?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm only for Kerry because if you read the Majestic 12 documents you will understand why I have an undivided hatred for Bush. Though Kerry has his faults as well, so I think Nader would be the best. I'm not gonna change my screen name because it'll confuse people too much about where the only cool person on ATS went

I love your signature, UnknownOrigins.

[edit on 10/24/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
I'm only for Kerry because if you read the Majestic 12 documents you will understand why I have an undivided hatred for Bush. Though Kerry has his faults as well, so I think Nader would be the best. I'm not gonna change my screen name because it'll confuse people too much about where the only cool person on ATS went

lol, why thank you
I should quote it as I didn't make it up, my friend at school said it, but it's funny nonetheless

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat

What the Eff could MJ12 have to do with Bush, or Kerry, or anybody right now?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
You can convert 97% of used fuel rods back into fuel. The environmentalists won't let us do that because any time they hear the word 'nuclear' or 'radioactive' they throw a fit

I'm not sure why environmentalist would be against reuse, even if we are talking about radioactive, since we produce the rods in the first place. If we could recover only 60% of the non-depleted fissle material, we will only be shucking 40% into a hole somewhere. But if we were able to get 97% recovery than go for it, even if it needs a special reactor. What about the pellet design that came around a few years back where the fissle is contained in a form of ceramic?

XL5

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The only problem with electric cars is the storage of power and the weight of the storage device. Currently super/ultra capacitors have 10% the energy normal lead acid cells have, for the same weight. Capacitors don't waste as much energy as batteries do when they charge, so you would get more energy back with regen braking.

Why convert gas/oil, wind, hydro, nuc into electricity then into hydrogen then into heat and sound. Why not skip the losses and develop super capacitors that are much lighter then batteries of the same energy and store the energy as electricity and have a 80-90% effen. motor? Capacitors can charge VERY fast and be draind of power and shorted and live. Solar cells are good too and they go well together.

Solar ,Li-ion, ultra capacitor and (almost)lossless no step transmissions will be the way to go when they get 90%eff. PV cells, in small cars.

It takes 4 times the gas (energy) to move an object only 2 times more heavy to the same rate (accl and speed) as it would for something 2 times lighter.

1/2 (F x Vsq)=Joules (F=Farads, V=volts)

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hydrogen fuel cells are Apollo tech. There's something new, DMFC, that runs on alcohol and water. They're supposed to be going into our laptops sometime soon. I want one for my Thinkpad- Vodka on the rocks for me, and a thimble straight for my wee mechanical friend... I've been keeping fuel cells in my Top Secret file for a while, wishing I had the money to invest bigtime in them. There's one for sale now the size of a lunchbox. Man I want that! And the new solar panels (photovoltaics) are rollable. Sun by day, booze by night, wireless connection- perfect RV setup.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Chakotay]

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
~
[edit on 10/19/04 by diehard_democrat]

You can convert 97% of used fuel rods back into fuel. The environmentalists won't let us do that because any time they hear the word 'nuclear' or 'radioactive' they throw a fit

I was unable to find data to support the claim that EVs were against Nuke recycling.

www.ucsaction.org...

We can go to the Union of Concerned Scientist Org and push for a move to make this happen. This could conceivably extend the fuel supply for a long time, centuries? This would also take to heat off of Yucca Mtn.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That would be so cool if we actually revolutionized the nuclear power industry! I'm gonna do it, and I hope tons of other people do, too!

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun

I was unable to find data to support the claim that EVs were against Nuke recycling.

why are people so afraid of nuclear energy?
I mean if you were an EV, would you rather have those spent fuel rods used for nuclear weapons ( www.nirs.org... ) or recycle them?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well, this is America, and we are so paranoid, the answer is, of course, nuclear weapons. Yet we won't allow anybody else in the world to have them, what's up with that?

But what's up with airline food? 30,000 feet

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun

Originally posted by Esoterica
~
[edit on 10/19/04 by diehard_democrat]

www.ucsaction.org...

We can go to the Union of Concerned Scientist Org and push for a move to make this happen. This could conceivably extend the fuel supply for a long time, centuries? This would also take to heat off of Yucca Mtn.

EVs have caused one hell of lot more problems for the country than
most people are even aware. It was their ignorant lobbying against
nuclear power in this country that derailed the promise of an energy
sufficient future of abundance for all people. Here are some articles
that help explain what happened and why. The number of people who
have died as a direct result of NOT using nuclear power more exceeds
the worst case scenarios for nuclear accidents by magnitudes.
EVs have contributed to the death of millions around the world
especially in countries that desperately needed the kind of safe
nuclear power stations that US scientists were ready to develop for
them.

russp.org...
www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm confused as to the actual power source to this vehicle. Yes electricity can convert water to hydrogen and oxygen, or hydrogen can be used in fuel cells to produce electricity. Both processes produce less energy then they use, otherwise you would have zero point energy. You are using conventional batteries to seperate the hydorgen from the water, why not just use the batteries straight to the motor. converting to hydrogen for conventional burning requires more electricity then just running an electrical motor. The problem with conventional batteries is capacity. There are hundreds of cars built using electric only, but their distance on a charge is very limited. You can convert the water to hydrogen at home and put it in a tank for you car, but hydrogen has the same problem, the amount of hydrogen required to power a motor requires 40 times the storage capacity of gasoline. There are many prototype hydrogen vehicles. Arnie was using one in the news today for a political photo op, but he didnt drive away in it because a full tank can only go 50 miles.
The only problem with running vehicles on something other than gas is capacity. Many scientists are working on methods to store hydrogen in solid form so it can be either burned or used in a fuel cell to generate elctricity, but nothing that can easily operate in a normal temperate range has been created yet.

I would love to convert my 12 mpg dodge truck to an electric motor. I would even gladly give up half the bed capacity, but it would have to be easily refulled and capable of at least the same distance between refills as it currently gets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join