It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this thing on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Just wondering?

edit on 10-9-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Sand Devil?

Dust Devil?

Im sure i saw different version of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A dust devil?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Nothing to odd about this:

www.space.com...

Still a cool image.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It is in fact a dust devil.

A dust devil on Mars has been caught in the act of tearing across the Red Planet in a spectacular new photo by a NASA spacecraft.

The Martian twister rises up on a huge column of dust more than half a mile (800 meters) high in the new image, which was captured by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on Feb. 16 as the spacecraft passed over the Amazonis Planitia region of northern Mars.

Link

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Interesting.Whatever it is,it is leaving a trail.I am going to guess that it is a dust devil,or the Martian equivalent.The trail is similar to the path a tornado leaves.Except without all the mobile home carnage.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Here is a "video" of one of those Martian dust devils taken at ground level by the rover Spirit. This is a combination of still images put together to make a time-lapse movie:

An article describing the event:
Spirit's Wind-Driven Traveler on Mars (Spirit Sol 486)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Yep, its dust devil. Dust devils on mars were first captured by Viking orbiters in 70s. They are much larger than here on earth, 50x wider and 10x higher. They leave trails because martian soil is mostly very fine rust. In lucky encounters, they have cleaned solar panels of Spirit and Opportunity rovers.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Here is a "video" of one of those Martian dust devils taken at ground level by the rover Spirit. This is a combination of still images put together to make a time-lapse movie:

An article describing the event:
Spirit's Wind-Driven Traveler on Mars (Spirit Sol 486)

That link of yours to youtube also has the JPL video on the OP's story, seems it was actually quite big, (as also described in Zombie's link)

www.youtube.com...
edit on 10-9-2012 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mardukiscoming

Interesting.Whatever it is,it is leaving a trail.I am going to guess that it is a dust devil,or the Martian equivalent.The trail is similar to the path a tornado leaves.Except without all the mobile home carnage.

The 'trail' is really the shadow of the column in this case, though you might expect there to be some remnant of the passing.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You know there was this episode of Futurama from back in the day before we had sent all the landers to mars. In the episode the martians use a sand devil of immense size to ferry them around the planet. Totally reminded me of that episode when I saw a photo of a 800 meter high tornado on the surface of mars. How'd the writers know that tornados are a major thing on the red planet? Maybe they too had a chance encounter with a time traveler.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

A dust devil is not the same thing as a tornado and they were first seen on Mars in 1976 and later confirmed (before Futurama).
www.spacedaily.com...
www.msss.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
But.....why in the hail have we not seen more on this cool Mars stuff....
And then, why is the whirlwind not more redish in color, because the first pic looked like a stove vent letting out breafast bacon or hambuger smoke from the underground kitchen, and the dark "trail", looked like it's shadow. I'm really suspicious about this stuff, huh!!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

The 'trail' is really the shadow of the column in this case, though you might expect there to be some remnant of the passing.

Nice video about the image here:
www.uahirise.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I know they are not the same thing. But I call Yellow Tail tuna and it's not so i'm a gunna call a dust devil a tornado if i want to.

BTW didn't know they had captured images of dust devils before the rovers landed. Very cool As always Phage I learned something from your post.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I respectfully disagree.The "shadow" does not conform to the shape of the tail.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

The tail of the dust devil is wavy,as if being affected by the wind.The path on the ground is almost straight.It is as if the dirt has been displaced by the passing of the object,which is essentially what has happened.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

reply to post by smurfy

I respectfully disagree.The "shadow" does not conform to the shape of the tail.

Looks like your wrong.

Still taken from video on hi-rise site

www.space.com...

About this Image
A towering dust devil, casts a serpentine shadow over the Martian surface in this image acquired by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The length of the dusty whirlwind's shadow indicates that the dust plume reaches more than half a mile (800 meters) in height. The plume is about 30 yards or meters in diameter

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Ok.That is a different image than what I saw.I can see your point.The image I commented on was more of a closeup.Sometimes you gotta take a step back to get a better view.
I apologize for coming on so strong.Just didn't have the right viewpoint.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

reply to post by wmd_2008

Ok.That is a different image than what I saw.I can see your point.The image I commented on was more of a closeup.Sometimes you gotta take a step back to get a better view.
I apologize for coming on so strong.Just didn't have the right viewpoint.

No problem a quick search brought up more info, Phage had linked to the video as well I just took a still to show it was the shadow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join