It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strike: Obama's Chicago in Chaos as Teachers Walk Out on Needy Kids

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Are the teachers still collecting a pay check???? If not, do taxpayers get a"refund"? Maybe to offset losing wages to take care of their children or getting a sitter.

Why wouldn't they be? It is a contract based salary.

No, no refund.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
I live in Boise Id and the median salary for teachers is $50k, which is a pretty average wage for a decent standard of living. We have a MUCH lower cost of living than Chicago.

Teachers dont just work school hours. They take work home with them alot. They also take summer jobs or take the opportunity to spend time with their own kids. They are also spending more and more of their own income on school supplies for kids. My sister begs me for those food box tops so she can actually teach her kids and keep them interested. She certainly doesnt make $70k or even $50k for that matter.

You want to blame the teachers for poor performance, but they are he ones being forced to conform to a federal, one-size -fits-all curriculum. Basically, our kids are only taught what will be on that federal test at the end of the year. then the school board puts so much pressure on these teachers because they are desperately wanting that fedeal subsidy. I wonder how much the feds spend on those tests? The tests that are supposed to be the end-all be-all to how teachers perform in school? As if the parents, kids, school itself or a myriad of other factors have nothing to do with it?

Blame the tachers all you want, but that just means the real culprits, the federal govt (no
matter whos in charge) get away with it.
Then why are Chicago's teachers failing when other teachers are not??? You know, "the ones being forced to conform to a federal, one-size -fits-all curriculum." It SOOOO is the teachers fault. Reading should be the first and foremost subject taught to students above all other academics. If you can read, you can learn math, science, geography, history etc. There is no excuse.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Are the teachers still collecting a pay check???? If not, do taxpayers get a"refund"? Maybe to offset losing wages to take care of their children or getting a sitter.

Why wouldn't they be? It is a contract based salary.

No, no refund.

So they can go on strike and still collect their paychecks. AND union pay????? What a great job. Go on strike and make more money.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

S & F for this topic and that avatar...awesome.

I am trying to resist commenting further. But, Chicago is my home town. *bites lip
Hey change -agents (teachers) elsewhere in the country...you are next. I have a whole basket of tomatoes for you when you protest in my neighborhood. *wink I hope some of you are just dumb enough to expose what your real role has been to get those paychecks and benefits.

Every "teacher" is familiar with Bloom's taxonomy handbook:

Bloom is not concerned with knowledge or understanding. He and his other behavioralists are concerned only with whether the student manifests “learned behavior.” Bloom explains: “The emphasis of this Handbook is on obtaining evidence on the extent to which desired and intended behaviors have been learned by the student.” Id. at 13. Note that it is not information that is learned, it is “behavior” that is learned.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I don't see what the big deal is here. If you think this is bad, just wait until all the other unions join in and start demanding. It's gonna happen. If this is all it takes to cause "chaos", then when the real cuts hit next year America is going to be in "anarchy" (probably redefined as "unacceptably inconvenient!")

I see what the big deal is. A whole bunch of people went along with circumventing our constitutional republic deceptively in this particular case (education system) to facilitate the global order. They did this based on a bunch of false promises, a sweet paycheck and benefits that helped them find the moral flexibility they needed to justify this kind of betrayal. Now that they have served their purpose, there is no need to keep those promises..."surprise"....

Thank you for your service but, you are no longer essential.. (hey "teachers"... look up history of what happened in other country's to "educators" who will not conform...count yourself lucky...next phase of control that YOU helped facilitate is getting marched outside of town and shot).

For some reason many thought it was ok to turn a blind eye and "go with the flow" with the deception when it was advantageous to them, now though.... I think many will be learning the hard way that by deceiving others you unwittingly have allowed yourselves to be deceived as well. *shrugs

I think you see a chain reaction in our future as I do ...not just the unions either... Let the lessons begin.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well, I just looked at the title of this thread and it makes me puke. "Obama's Chicago"? How desperate is this? Try to besmirch at any cost, stopping at nothing?

I have friends from Chicago who lived there longer than Obama. Hell, maybe it's their fault.

Wait. We need another thread, "9/11 happened in Juliani's New York City". Boo!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's Obamas 'hometown'.

No, it is not. It is my hometown, he was a transplant.

edit on 12-9-2012 by OldSchoolMom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

You want to blame the teachers for poor performance, but they are he ones being forced to conform to a federal, one-size -fits-all curriculum.

That we all agree is the elephant in the room but, you never saw teachers walking off the job to stand up against that did you?

They were bought, they sold out the children, deceived the families...now they are being screwed too....what did they expect? They made a deal with the devil and now they are not happy because the system they were bribed into facilitating (instead of standing up against) is going to burden them now too...pfft... let the whole education system collapse.... force the children back into the home and put the responsibility back where it should be.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
First, I must say I had a number of wonderful teachers growing up and even now at almost 60 I can remember Jerry Phillips, Dan Gasman (and his 67 Corvette) Mr. Friday my wood-shop teacher and a long list of others through my Elementary, Junior High, High School and University years; I even remember my Kindergarten Teacher Ms. Walker and my first introduction to finger painting because the fact is I had some very good human beings and teachers who I know did far more than they were paid to do because they loved their work and loved their students. I must also add that I had a great advantage being raised on a large ranch surrounded by worldly and well educated family and people and several Real Men and yes Real Women by the traditional standards.

Now in contrast, as the father of two children; one now grown with his own family and the other just starting at the local college. Beginning with my eldest it became immediately apparent that the public school teachers and students were far from the standards we wanted so, we hired tutors for the fundamentals (reading, writing and arithmetic) and took special interest to teach what we knew, crossing all lines of "How To", including Horses (riding) Animal Keeping and a long list of areas to make sure no area of education and preparedness for going out into the world was overlooked (I am not going to bore anyone with the list but it spanned Sailing to Sports Shooting to Home Repair to World Travel). This was a method and mindset we carried forward with our youngest by 10 years (our daughter).

The point to this preface is this, we observed the public and even private school system were crap; that to a great extent the expression "Those who can not Do, Teach" was true and if we as parents depended upon the public and/or private schools we had in our community our children would end up undereducated, brainwashed, dysfunctional, incompetent and not at all prepared for their lives out in the world so, we took responsibility and our children became a serious focal point of our day to day lives with them being first and given the very best we could offer/obtain.

I must also point out that both my children were Valedictorians and graduated early..both when they were 16andas they grew up the extra effort repeatedly revealed itself in how our children were so much ahead of other children, including in sports where my son was concerned but that is a whole other story as my son went on to UCLA on a Sports Scholarship which we later dropped because we did not like its focus and the environments Football, Basketball and Track perpetuated..# sports and the sports culture. (pardon the vulgarity but that expression best suits).

Bottom line, it is my observation that most of you and your children are the result of a very poor education system and to some extent I blame the Teachers and Education System but they are not totally to blame, you and your parents before are to blame and you deserve the bed you now sleep in.

So, when I see these teachers in Chicago going out on strike I think, what a blessing for the parents who will now be home schooling and seeking other and better means to educating their children. As for the rest; as for the bad teachers and bad parents; the world always needs ditch diggers, pot washers and troops to fight for the War Culture this country loves so much. Today's society and culture is a direct reflection upon its teachers and yes the parents; look around and guess what I really think of most of you.

I am sure I have not said it all but that's Karma, it's Inevitable eh!
edit on 12-9-2012 by MajorKarma because: Typos

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Strike: Obama's Chicago in Chaos as Teachers Walk Out on Needy Kids

Chicago mayor, Rahm Emanuel seems to have a problem with the Teachers union.

They are on strike.

It's been 25 years since the last strike.

Naturally this seems like the standard Unions vs Government.

But I bet the deals are sealed already and they are just putting on a show to rival recent Union fallbacks in other cities and states.

Rahm Emanuel always said "never let a good crisis go to waste"

They will manipulate this for political reasons.

Watch the "outcome" of this to appear to be in favor of the Unions.

Watch how they will "justify" tax increases later on.

This strike is in Chicago, not Wisconsin.

President Barack Obama's home town is in chaos as the Chicago Teachers Union has declared a strike starting Monday for the first time in 25 years, defying former Obama chief of staff, now Chicago mayor, Rahm Emanuel.

Parents are outraged as children struggling through the city's troubled school system will now miss critical days at the start of the year. Working families are scrambling to make alternative arrangements for child care.

The strike pits Emanuel, a key figure in Obama's political constellation against a vital left-wing constituency--namely, teachers' unions. Teacher pay, benefits, and job security were all issues upon which the two sides failed to agree. However, the broader picture is the political struggle between unions and Democrat politicians as a new wave of Republican reformers and conservative reformist policies has emerged to threaten both.

CHICAGO (CBS) – A day after Chicago Public Schools’ teachers overwhelmingly authorized a strike, CBS 2 wanted to know how much the average teacher earns.

As CBS 2’s Dana Kozlov found out, it depends on who you ask.

Salary figures provided by the Chicago Public Schools show teachers here have the highest average salary of any city in the nation. But, according to the Chicago Teachers Union’s calculations, Chicago teachers would rank second behind New York City.
How Much Do Chicago Public School Teachers Make?

The "Strike" is perfect timing

Obama's Chicago? Leave it to Breitbart to blame everything on Obama. I understand that at one point he was a senator for Illinois but now everything that goes awry in Chicago is Obama's doing? You do realize that he has no direct control over who strikes and what individuals do... correct? Breitbart is a freaking joke.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I personally hope all these teachers are fired. They have horrible standardized testing results and deserve a cut in salary. The better your test scores, the more you make in my opinion. Of course there is more to it than that, but just a quick opinion.

These teachers obviously aren't doing a good job, and they want more money to do a bad job.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoubleDNH
Obama's Chicago? Leave it to Breitbart to blame everything on Obama. I understand that at one point he was a senator for Illinois but now everything that goes awry in Chicago is Obama's doing? You do realize that he has no direct control over who strikes and what individuals do... correct? Breitbart is a freaking joke.

We cant blame everything on Obama... After all Obama is to busy to deal with Chicago politics since he is so busy blaming Bush for everything.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

We cant blame everything on Obama... After all Obama is to busy to deal with Chicago politics since he is so busy blaming Bush for everything.

No, we can't blame everything on Obama but we can blame Obama and all those he represents, including people who for generations have fed at the Government Trough and have been subsequently Brainwashed to live, breath and breed inside the Federal Government Cabal (the Big Brother State) and I definitely include all Federal Employees, Welfare Recipients, Prison Inmates, Politicians and anyone who for any sustained period has subjected themselves and drawn subsistence from the Federal Government. I include Military on this list if after initial service the individuals re-enlist. No, I am not joking and pardon me for a moment so I can go outside and spit to get the foul taste out of my mouth before continuing.

Anyone whose life and lifestyle is centered around involvement with the Federal Government is and has been brainwashed into what is a Marxist Mindset; a "Steal from Everyone to Feed the Few" mentality only, it is no longer the Few and now this parasite is strangling us all and determined to feed upon and destroy what was once a Constitutional Republic of Free Men and Women.

I can not state my objections to these Dregs strong enough for fear they will come kick in my door and murder me and maybe even my family; even now one or more of them is reading what I am saying and I am not just talking about the Obamanoid Members.

All of this having been touched upon, I do not altogether blame the people within this Evil System, as they have been indoctrinated and brainwashed by design and by long term efforts by those who are the enemies of all free people. However, do not think for a moment that I single out Obama, as Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr.,Reagan and most of our Presidents and their administrations were as bad and contemptuous enemies of our Constitution and their Oaths of Office. JFK and RFK may have been the exceptions and were murdered for being serious threats to these Globalist-Collectivists-Luciferians.One test is to see the treatment by these of anyone who attempts to stand behind our Constitution. Sure, of late there has been a pacification of those who mention their Constitutional Rights but in their heart of hearts they would like to harm us..even murder us and not just because we believe in what is written in that founding document but because we expose them for the devils they are. No, I am not kidding...they are Godless unless you want to say the State is God. Never forget what they did at Waco and how they all helped to cover it up; I won't even mention 9-11 or a loooong ist of other proofs of just how deep this evil goes and who is a accessory before, during and after the fact; of you are with them even with one toe, you are against us and all free men.

And do not think I consider Romney an exception, he is not; he is just another flavor of the same Tyranny and unAmerican Agendas given us by he Puppet Masters who have been subverting our country for many many years now.

So yes I blame Obama for being the latest and greatest ball carrier for the enemies of my country and the future of my children which is why we are leaving.
edit on 13-9-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma

No, we can't blame everything on Obama but we can blame Obama and all those he represents, including people who for generations have fed at the Government Trough and have been subsequently Brainwashed to live, breath and breed inside the Federal Government Cabal (the Big Brother State) and I definitely include all Federal Employees, Welfare Recipients, Prison Inmates, Politicians and anyone who for any sustained period has subjected themselves and drawn subsistence from the Federal Government. I include Military on this list if after initial service the individuals re-enlist. No, I am not joking and pardon me for a moment so I can go outside and spit to get the foul taste out of my mouth before continuing.

I think you are misguided to the point where it becomes hilarious. If you acquaint yourself with what educated people call "history", you'll quickly find out that what you are opposing is not some "Cabal" (derp!), but the very idea of State. Congrats.

Every single State that existed as such funded particular activities. Again, I'm not going to read a history book for you because I'm not your Big Brother. Do yourself a favor.

But I'll give you one example: ancient Rome, a great and glorious Empire. A strong state. It strength on a large part depended on a system of roads, which were strictly regulated by, and funded by the government. There was in fact a combination of "federal" and "local" roads, just like we have here in the US. There were 29 highways coming our of Rome, and all of Europe was covered with a network of this high quality transportation system.

You are a product of a massive brainwash conducted by the right wing, which aim to only maintain a system for, and feed the top 1%. And the rest of society can go to hell. That's what your stance is about.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I live in NW Indiana (greater Chicago, in essence) so I have been bombarded with Chicago Teacher Strike information for many weeks from a number of sources.

At the crux of the matter, and I don't think I have viewed this in the thread, is that the Union has lost trust with the City Board because they applied a number of conditions on the Teachers without proper presentation/negotiation to include:

* Longer School Days
* Failure to abide by CTU's Article 28 - Class Size see, from OP's link,
also known as student/teacher ratio:
www.ctunet.com...

From what I have heard for many weeks, salary for teachers has not become an issue until recently. It is amazing and frustrating how situations rapidly evolve when they are given more attention in the national media.

Both sides need to compromise, and if teachers want to really put students "first", then they will need to drop the salary/benefits contigency (which IMO was added on as a bargaining tool), and stick with the shorter school days and student/teacher ratio issues.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchesfromwall
From what I have heard for many weeks, salary for teachers has not become an issue until recently.

That's one point that was squarely ignored in this thread. But what you expect, who cares about truth if one simply wants to blame EVERYTHING on Obama? Check out the title. Derp.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
chicago has the worst school district on the U.S. dropout rate for highschool students is like 40%. more then half of the teachers dont even send their children to public schools and go for a private one because they know how bad it is

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I think you are misguided to the point where it becomes hilarious. If you acquaint yourself with what educated people call "history", you'll quickly find out that what you are opposing is not some "Cabal" (derp!), but the very idea of State. Congrats.

Every single State that existed as such funded particular activities. Again, I'm not going to read a history book for you because I'm not your Big Brother. Do yourself a favor.

But I'll give you one example: ancient Rome, a great and glorious Empire. A strong state. It strength on a large part depended on a system of roads, which were strictly regulated by, and funded by the government. There was in fact a combination of "federal" and "local" roads, just like we have here in the US. There were 29 highways coming our of Rome, and all of Europe was covered with a network of this high quality transportation system.

You are a product of a massive brainwash conducted by the right wing, which aim to only maintain a system for, and feed the top 1%. And the rest of society can go to hell. That's what your stance is about.

First, be assured I don't find you amusing or much more than another one of these "Closet Geniuses" I would like to see forced to live or die for what you appear to believe in, just as many of the Romans you appear so impressed with did when their crimes and repressions throughout their empire rose up to haunt them. No doubt, the Roman Empire is alive and well within the British Monarchy, Church of Rome and its Armed Forces..aka the US Military but as it was with the fall of Rome, this Globalist Empire is also going to fall and if I can help to use you and those like you to grease those wheels, I will.

I am almost 60, a former Marine, an Engineer and MBA...go take a long walk and take your Fellow Dregs with you. I am not about the 1%, I am about the 33% (the Middle Class) but you don't warrant further consideration or comment..I oppose you with my last breath.
edit on 13-9-2012 by MajorKarma because: Typos

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

First, be assured I don't find you amusing

Was I asking that? Do I care? /yawn/

just as many of the Romans you appear so impressed with did when their crimes and repressions throughout their empire rose up to haunt them

I see. You are too good for the Roman Empire. I just wonder what celestial sphere you prefer as your place of abode. Because you know, Earth is just that, made of dirt. And the Roman Empire was just an empire, and yes, empires do engage in crimes and repressions, but you decided to point out the obvious anyway.

Now, you seem to press the point that you don't believe in the idea of a State anyhow. OK, I get it, you are an anarchist. Or so it appears.

I am almost 60, a former Marine, an Engineer and MBA...

I don't see how's that of importance to this thread. Your credentials are OK, but I'm not easily impressed.

I oppose you with my last breath.

Why, for pointing out complete lack of SUBSTANCE in your post?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

First, be assured I don't find you amusing

Was I asking that? Do I care? /yawn/

just as many of the Romans you appear so impressed with did when their crimes and repressions throughout their empire rose up to haunt them

I see. You are too good for the Roman Empire. I just wonder what celestial sphere you prefer as your place of abode. Because you know, Earth is just that, made of dirt. And the Roman Empire was just an empire, and yes, empires do engage in crimes and repressions, but you decided to point out the obvious anyway.

Now, you seem to press the point that you don't believe in the idea of a State anyhow. OK, I get it, you are an anarchist. Or so it appears.

I am almost 60, a former Marine, an Engineer and MBA...

I don't see how's that of importance to this thread. Your credentials are OK, but I'm not easily impressed.

I oppose you with my last breath.

Why, for pointing out complete lack of SUBSTANCE in your post?

I decided to go read what else you've written here; what you write here on ATS explains why my comments flushed you like a rat hiding in the garbage heap because "I WAS COMMENTING ABOUT YOU"and people like you who Obama wooed and used to put the "Teaming Masses" to sleep and help push our country over the cliff to a Fascist State; no wonder you are so impressed with the Roman Empire, it was people like you who Emperors like Tiberius, Claudius and Caligula Nero pacified with "Bread and Circuses" while each in their time dismantled the Roman Republic that had taken hundreds of years to create; it is very appropriate that you bring the Roman Empire as an example of what you want but it is not its creation that your Obama represent, it is its demise, as we are now seeing the destruction of the American Republic.

It was you who implied I was uneducated and prompted me to refute you but, now I see you really are one of these "DWCs" (Dregs With Computer) and are representative of those who can do little but join the mob to help those who want to take from people like me what you can not, would not and are too lazy to get for yourself.

I have a suggestion for your username; it really should be "FoodBankConnoisseur" or "PublicTroughDreg",

You want "Substance"? Get off your ass and go earn some.
edit on 13-9-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join