It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GoDaddy taken down by Hackers... Milions without service

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I am not overly concerned with what "group" wants to take responsibility for this. WHOEVER did this is extraordinarily short sighted and clearly not concerned with the impact it would have on the millions of go daddy users.

I do not "believe" what I read - I believe the situation I am currently in thanks to these a$$holes.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

I truly am sorry for the impact this situation is having on you and your family. If you want to put all your blame on Anon then fine but let me point out the GoDaddy apparently has security lapses that must be fixed. If you are using their shopping cart functionality then it is possible your clients/customers personal information is at risk as well.

Being in IT I recommend not putting your eggs in one basket so to speak. You always need contingency plans because there are so many possible points of failure. Hacking is just one of many ways your system can go down. All devices connected to the internet are vulnerable to some degree.

In my opinion, GoDaddy has let you down and Anon just took advantage.

I know a couple of members here think that your comments are unwarranted and holier than thou; while I understand that their position comes from a place of frustration and sympathy...I also understand your position as well.

Unfortunately, your words were not heard by me for the first time today. Many have told me to have a backup plan and frankly it is about money. This economy almost killed my business and we just aren't fast enough to put all of the pieces back together at once. The plan was made...just couldn't afford to implement it yet.

BTW...I do blame both of them and I share the blame a little bit. What I am most upset with myself for is not seeing this coming. It's not like the threat didn't exist. Anyway, it's quiet here. While my sites are down there's not much left to do but post on here and lick my wounds.
edit on 10-9-2012 by MightyQuincunx because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

How presumptuous of you. Clearly you missed the part in my post that stated we only rely on Go Daddy for email (because Google wanted a Kings ransom for the same service).

We host a rack of servers offsite that are unaffected.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain how we can have multiple email servers without burdening ourselves with additional cost.

I will never believe Your experience in the field outweighs the 80+ years my partners have in the IT business. Did you begin on a PDP-11? They did - and know this business inside and out.

But thanks for the condescending remarks. We'll take that under advisement.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by IceFlower

Whoa...whoa...whoa. I think that Ice Flower needs to cool off. I believe the post from FenceSitter was directed at me. BTW now is the time for people like me to hear these words (as painful as it is). I am aware at the moment and of course receptive to future solutions so that this doesn't happen again.

FenceSitter's advice is appreciated and timely. I do NOT have 80+ years combined experience in my 2-person company. The advice was intended for me.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

Yet, his reply was directed to me.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IceFlower

Ok...Ok. I just didn't see the comments as all that inflammatory. This is a bad time for all of us that have been affected; no question. I'm just saying...take a breath.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Good thing ATS is hosted by the CI..Ah I mean ...not GoDaddy.com

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyQuincunx
reply to post by jhn7537

I hope so too. Thanks for the well wishes...it really is appreciated.

No matter what the reason they give...IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

My heart breaks for you. I don't depend on my online store for real income...yet. I can only imagine the headaches this is causing both you, and your customers. All these hackers don't give a crap about all the little people they hurt playing their ego driven David and Goliath games. And, that's all it is to them...a freaking internet game of egos. Only real people are the characters in their game, not anime figures....

Des

edit on 10-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well my site is down!

This is really going to cut into my 58 cents I make a year off of it.

But if i was not a lazy mrfrkr I'd be missing out on millions!!!

I think it's actually Host gator trying to get more biz.

Adsense Sucks! Star if you agree!

The Rat.
edit on 10-9-2012 by TucoTheRat because: typo

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Oh noes, maybe this is the September 10th false flag everyone was worried about. There may be a Simspon's episode we forgot to analyze

On a serious note, this was a horrible thing to do to the millions of site owners that are just trying to operate businesses. This was an unconscionable act and I hope the person or people responsible are apprehended and flogged.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well I just checked a site I did for friend that is hosted by godaddy and it is up.

Perhaps they have it fixed now?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Like small businesses don't have enough hard times already.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well, I'd have to ask these little punk hackers....who is it they are looking to destroy? The 1% or the 99%? I am CERTAIN the 1% aren't using Godaddy for their hosting. People generally OWN their servers, pipe and network center a couple zero's before reaching the truly wealthy stage.

However, I DO know plenty of small folks who got hurt by this. That's the problem with friggen Anonymous. They are 'everyone' and they are 'no one'. It could be a world class hacker using the banner this time, or a government intelligence service (ours or anyone else's for that matter) or it COULD be the kids who have generally used the banner in the past.

With stupid stunts like this though, that banner is becoming real muddy to the average person. I doubt it'll be WORTH using for much longer, if they don't start being a little selective in their "hacktivism". Rebel armies that make a habit of attacking the local population don't find themselves welcomed for very long...and I think many are getting real sick of the main ones being hurt always seeming to be the little people.

Go pick on the CIA or Mossad or..If they feel REALLY spunky and brave, the SVR or FSB. I'm sure those guys will see the humor in it and let bygones be bygones.

edit on 10-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I wonder if this CISPA has anything to do with it. Possible that the Senate or Congress has websites through GoDaddy and needed some motivation to pass the bill?

White house preparing Executive order as a stand-in for CISPA

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I agree that this was a horrible act, but it was not unexpected. I've had to deal with godaddy hosting for years now as part of a job that's no longer my job, thank God. It was obvious how badly-run the place was. They have one focus: your money, and taking it from you. Nothing has ever improved there as long as I've dealt with them. I warned the employers who are now not my employers time and time again that we were doing our clients a disservice, recommending godaddy to them just because it's cheap, and it would eventually bite them and us. The Death of a Thousand 404's, as it were. I don't care who you are, you deserve better than godaddy. Just try getting any problem resolved through their phone-in tech "support." I dare you. Right now, I know a guy whose site they upgraded to php-5.3 without notice, and they left the php.ini file in a rather broken state that makes everything spit out several lines of error messages. They won't fix it for him. Weeks now, he's had to put up with that.

So who's better, you ask? Nobody. They all suck in some fashion, all hosting places. HostGator is actually worse than godaddy; they treat their customers like dirt and their employees like robots. Network Solutions has so many restrictions you can't really host a complex PHP site there. Rackspace is great, very nice service, but (of course) also very expensive. Your best bet, seriously, is to get a cable modem line into your house or business and set up your OWN server there. That's where I host all of my own sites. It'll cost you immensely less money than ANY hosting provider, and you have complete control over your site. But of course, if you then just put Joomla on it, it'll stay easy to hack. Any open-source software's code can be analyzed for security flaws and exploits. Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, SugarCMS, hell, even Slashdot; if there's a hole in it, it will be found and used against you.

There's really no such thing as a completely hack-proof website. Literally. With enough time, any encryption can be broken. One weak link, that's all it takes, and every site has hundreds of such links even if you run it yourself. All you can do is all you can do, and it won't be enough, so your only defense is to have NO offense. If you annoy someone enough, they will find a way to wreak vengeance. If your site is hateful to a group of people, they will try to take it down. If you're exploiting child labor in Vietnam, someone's going to have at you. If all your site does is provide a useful service that benefits everyone who comes in contact with it, however, why would anyone want to hack you? Has any online metric converter ever been hacked? Any earthquake reporting tools? Godaddy was hacked because of their incompetence, support of SOPA, and guerilla business tactics; the tens of thousands of affected customers were just collateral damage.

Don't put your site's life into the hands of a universally-despised company, it's just stupid. That is the moral you should take away from this. And don't think it won't happen to Godaddy again. They simply cannot prevent it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Technically they did stick it to GoDaddy....

Now nobody is going to trust that site. Watch how many people in the next month change away from Gdaddy.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I support these hacks.

But then again I don't have a website.

But if I did, I wouldn't host it with GoDaddy.

The whole elephant killing thing really wasn't cool.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
reply to post by jhn7537

Technically they did stick it to GoDaddy....

Now nobody is going to trust that site. Watch how many people in the next month change away from Gdaddy.

Yes, they stuck it to them, but at the expense of hurting so many small businesses. Not sure if that makes it ok... I also feel that there are worse companies/people out there that deserve this type of IT disruption, more so that GoDaddy (because of the small businesses affected)... When will they attack the real criminals like the bankers/wall street??? Now that's something Id get behind. Make them sweat a little...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
How can anyone believe anon anything any more. Also, who would not see that thinking attacks are good will not come back to bite them at some point. So much common ground.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Just checked, and my site is still up. Sorry to hear so many hard working small business people are being negatively affected by this. Like others have said, I don't see how it accomplishes anything good.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join