It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unconstitutional Abuse of Power - Questioned by Police for Buying Ammo?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

Yeah, anybody can ask you a question. Anybody can call you at 9 30 pm to ask you any question. Any authorities can call you at any time to ask you any question.
Thanks Seabag for staying on to actively deny ignorance.
Now, I wondered how they knew who this guy was, and further his phone number to call him. A fisherman with maybe a NE accent: must one SIGN to buy ammo in some states?
Here you can buy it as candy bars, but 18 years old.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If citizens report suspicious activity to the police they have to question you or they could be held liable. You can always refused to questioning and the police cannot do anything without a warrant .

No power was abused
No rights were violated

For all you know he pissed his someone off so they called the police on him. For all you know some paranoid individual thought he was planning something and called on him.

edit on 11-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Probally get flamed for this. I find a few things wrong with this video & Brians statement. First off , no agency worried about you "doing something crazy with some ammo" is going to "call you on the phone". That agency has zero way to identify themselves "over the phone". Brian should have said" When I get back from fishing, drop on by and visit me, be sure to bring a warrant". And hung the phone up.

I know of no one who would talk to an un-identifiable agency via a "cell phone", about a purchase of anything. he sure mentions the Oath Keepers a lot. Is Brian trying to say, because he's an Oath Keeper this is why this took place? And if Brian learned anything with all this, it's where NOT to purchase ammo in the future.

No agency worried about a serious crime such as a shooting with mass amounts of ammo purchased is going to call you on the phone. Especially a cell phone while your at sea fishing. Just don't seem legit. I'm gonna call possible BS here. Would any of you stay on the line if called and questioned ? I sure as hell would'nt. I would have done just as I stated. Their not going to call you on a cell phone..
edit on 11-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Excuse me, I have to go outside and scream at the sky now. That is still legal, isn't it??

I wouldn't do that. Someone might think you're suspicious and suddenly you'll be getting questioned and anal probed

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by seabag

And what about the people who used their "rights" to harm other people? Freedom of speech has caused how many lawsuits? Ruined how many lives?

Freedom to bear arms has caused how many deaths? How many families have suffered?

We keep wanting our rights, but how mature are we? How much have we SHOWN we deserve these rights? The problem with people is this: we think about ourselves far more than we think about others.

No, that isn't the problem.

The problem is that people actually believe there is a way to live freely while simultaneously being inpervious to any and all forms of harm, up to and including death. You want freedom? Can you accept that some people don't care whether you survive your interaction with them?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm afraid your statement is incorrect. All the factions you mention in your post do not work for government, they work for we the people! A lot of people seem to forget that. The only power they have is the power " we the people" let them have, and in my not so humble opinion, we have givin away too much of that power.

edit on 11-9-2012 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Actually the creator says"eye for an eye"

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JustSlowlyBackAway

I agree with you on this.The fact that they called him on the phone to question him is a bit odd,but at the same time,much less intrusive than coming to his home and making a big scene.I cannot see that any rights were violated.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I believe his story. The reason that I believe him is because, several years ago, I had something happen to me that makes his story look like nothing. I was on a Rifle Team in High School and I shot in competitions during my time in the military. My nephew was getting to be old enough that he could try out for the team. During the Summer, I took him to the range to teach him how to shoot. He got pretty good at it and liked it. Once school started, he got the "What I Did on My Summer Vacation" writing assignment. He wrote about learning how to shoot and how much he liked it. About two weeks after he wrote the paper, my Sister called me at work, to tell me that the County Children and Youth authorities came to her house, demanding to see how her guns were stored. They had a copy of my Nephew's assignment in their hands. My Sister let them search the house because they had a Court order authorizing them to remove my Niece and two Nephews from the house until they could get a search warrant. When they found nothing, they asked her where the gun was that my Nephew used during the Summer. She told them that I had it at my house. That seemed to satisfy them and they left

The following Saturday morning, I woke up with somebody pounding on my door. It was the CYA people. They wanted to see how I stored my guns. I replied "get a warrant" and closed the door. An hour later, they were back, with a warrant and a State Trooper. I asked the cop what was this all about and he told me that they were prepared to get a Court order that would prevent me from having contact with my niece and nephews. I could tell that the cop felt pretty much the same way I did, but, he was just doing his job. I asked him if I had to let the CYA people in or could I just show him where my guns were. He told the CYA people to stay where they were at and he came in with me. We got a cup of coffee and I showed him where my guns were stored. We drank the coffee, argued about the differences between a .40 cal S&W and a 9mm, he dry fired my Beretta 92 and dry fired his Sig. After about an hour, we went out and he told the CYA people that he had no problem with how i stored my guns and they could get off of my property since their job was done. He left his card in case they came back to give me anymore crap.

I looked into how they were allowed to do something like this and found out that the laws in my State allowed them to get away with anything that they could get a Judge to give them a Court order for and they had a tame Judge. Well word got around between a few Sportsman's Clubs and Volunteer Fire Departments and the Judge got blown away at the next election.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RottenBeauty

After reading through the definition of resonable suspicion and the Terry Vs. Ohio ruling I cannot see how they have anything to do with this issue.

Because the police have no business even questioning a person without “reasonable suspicion” of which they had NONE in this case.

I expect police to be professional and know the law and not spend time pursuing law abiding citizens over trivial matters.

And since, seabag, I know that you're going to move the goalpost and claim that had the individual not answered the officers questions that would cause them to arrest or detain him or something of the sort that isn't true either.

Now you’re arguing with yourself!

How’s that working out for you?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

When will you people understand, you no long have certain rights.

The patriot act and the NDAA violate the United States Constitution by taking away rights you had.

The patriot act alone gets rid of the 1st, 4th and 6th amendment rights.

Wake up people, please. They tell you to prepare for natural disasters, then I read FBI adds ‘preppers’ to potential terrorists list

What makes you think none of us are aware of this??

When you acknowledge the Patriot Act and NDAA you can no longer bitch about it?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If they had the man's name and cell phone number, that means that they had started an investigation. I'm not sure on the laws on buying ammo where this happened, but, all I have ever had to do was to show my Driver's License to prove I was over 16 for rifle and shotgun ammunition and over 21 for handgun ammo. How did they get his name and cell phone number? I'm with Seabag on this one.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

This isn't precrime, we don't punish people for what they might do. If that is where this nation is heading then we are SCREWED!

I agree with your entire post but I’ll just address this quote.

What you describe here is exactly what appears to be going on. People who disagree with a certain political ideology in this country are being put on watch lists, harassed, and in some cases detained (see Brandon Raub).

This case reminds me of the Gestapo or something - SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

If they had the man's name and cell phone number, that means that they had started an investigation. I'm not sure on the laws on buying ammo where this happened, but, all I have ever had to do was to show my Driver's License to prove I was over 16 for rifle and shotgun ammunition and over 21 for handgun ammo. How did they get his name and cell phone number? I'm with Seabag on this one.

If you listen to the video the cop said they ran his record before they called him.

The cop told him the reason for the call was because he bought a large quantity of ammo.

I have a buddy who is a cop. I asked him to run one of my employees for me and he told me he can't just run someone through NCIC without cause. The cops in this case had no business pulling this guy's record when he’d done nothing wrong (and he told them that, too) and they had no business calling him. This is an abuse of power IMO. These cops either don't know the rights citizens have or simply don't care.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Is it time to pay cash for everything and carry around a copy of the constitution yet?

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

That simply isn't the case. Reasonable suspicion and probable cause have nothing to do with asking questions. But I'm done with you, you have no interest in actual facts or law.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RottenBeauty

That simply isn't the case. Reasonable suspicion and probable cause have nothing to do with asking questions. But I'm done with you, you have no interest in actual facts or law.

You’ve provided no facts - only your opinion.

If you think it’s OK for police to question (and run a background check) on a law abiding citizen over the legal purchase of ammunition then you’ve long since given up your freedom. There were a lot of decent German citizens who looked the other way as Hitler began rounding people up; many even justified it. I can only hope that some of you wake up and see what’s happening before it’s too late.

edit on 11-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
You’ve provided no facts - only your opinion.

Incorrect. I provided facts on Terry Vs. Ohio, probable cause, and reasonable suspicion on the last page.

Terry Vs. Ohio

Probable Cause

reasonable suspicion

These cover arrest, search and seizure. Not questioning. There are your facts for the second time.

And just for fun can a police officer question me for no reason?

edit on 11-9-2012 by RottenBeauty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

If they had the man's name and cell phone number, that means that they had started an investigation
. I'm not sure on the laws on buying ammo where this happened, but, all I have ever had to do was to show my Driver's License to prove I was over 16 for rifle and shotgun ammunition and over 21 for handgun ammo. How did they get his name and cell phone number? I'm with Seabag on this one.

If they had the man's name and cell phone number, that means that they had started an investigation

Or as the guy stated they pulled his file, which
1. means they had started an investigation on him or
2. they have a file on every indivdual that buys ammunition and weapons traded through the data system which the owner of the store/ store's has to enter by computer and can cross reference the ammount of ammunition you buy with date and times.
There for the government can up to a point approximate your usage or ammount stored and weapons you have.
Amazing isnt it!
edit on 11-9-2012 by repeatoffender because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by AfterInfinity

We keep wanting our rights, but how mature are we? How much have we SHOWN we deserve these rights? The problem with people is this: we think about ourselves far more than we think about others.

We don’t have to “show” that we deserve these rights!! Our rights are granted to us by our creator not by centralized government.

If you need the government to control your every step then you should move to a country with less freedom. The majority of American’s don’t need someone to wipe their butt for them.

creator?? a mythical being grants you rights??? the constitutional "bill of rights" were written by man for man
your rights are protected by government....police, sheriff, courts, judges, juries...these are all made up of people working in, or in the case of juries for, government.

Apparently you have never read the document in question, made doubly apparent by the fact that you are referencing the wrong one. Allow me to quote from the Declaration of Independence, from memory:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, and that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

If you're going to argue a subject, for Pete's sake at least take American History 101 first.

Also, our rights aren't protected by the government. The purpose of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is to keep the government - a necessary evil - from taking ALL of our rights away. The government doesn't grant crap.

In regards to the OP, getting a call from the State Police for making a legal purchase is disturbing to say the least. Sounds almost like purposeful intimidation.

EDIT: Looks like the Jarhead beat me to it:

reply to post by seabag

edit on 9/11/2012 by TTAA2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join