It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Tomatoes have not ripened

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Tomatoes got hammered with all sorts of diseases and funguys this year from what I've seen.
The change from severe drought to heavy onslaughts of rain split some of my tomatoes but I planned ahead and intentionally planted them close to eachother, effectively leveling my chances of success. Planting close together has it's risks though such as "duds" ( lack of nutrients/ light) PESTS
When you plant together, it's like potting gold. Any leprechaun (hungry skunks) can run through there and cut your metaphorical grass. I heard 1 rummaging through my garden at night, turned on the light and it ran away, leaving a wake of destruction.
Stalks broken.. stench of death in the air..
sigh

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hello! I had this happen sixteen years ago in Virginia, it was deer who were eating the tomatoes right before they would ripen. I caught them in the act at dusk looking through the window. They had a little spotted fawn with them. I would pick the big green tomatoes and put them inside on your window sill, they may ripen up and you'll have them.

I had two good weeks of tomatoes this year (I planted fifteen plants to make sure.) The heat and drought killed most of them off, and then I had the blight happento the remainder. I planted three more plants because I live in the South East currently. I am experimenting to see if they will grow up and produce before November... Most people here grow collard greens in the winter. I planted four of those and I have a rabbit which will probably eat them up. The rabbit ate some of the tomatoe plants when they were small starts.
edit on 12-9-2012 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

we only got two ripe toms off two plants that the kids grew
also our cucumbers are deformed and small

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by remymartin

ill give that a go thanks

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Your welcome.

Also, I might add that chicken manure is the "hottest" and most short-lived, and horse manure runs a good 2nd place for worst (too hot and short lived) manures. Use horse and chicken manure to 'cure' your compost pile - turn, turn, and turn (monthly) and don't use it for a year. Those "hot" maures will help break down other organic materials into some good compost for you.

Cow manure - very good, sheep and goat comes next, horse comes next and poultry manures are last place.

Your garden wasn't zapped by the hot manures though - we both agree with Perdue. Heat got it.

ALSO

You have had "green tomatoe jelly and green tomatoe relish" right? Also, slice and fry green tomatoes like eggplant. So, all is not lost.

edit on 12/9/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join