It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Used This Torture Box to Interrogate Gadhafi’s Enemies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
U.S. Used This Torture Box to Interrogate Gadhafi’s Enemies
(Wired.com)

Based on a report from the Human Rights Organization:
Delivered Into Enemy Hands - US-Led Abuse and Rendition of Opponents to Gaddafi’s Libya
(hrw.org)

(Washington) – The United States government during the Bush administration tortured opponents of Muammar Gaddafi, then transferred them to mistreatment in Libya, according to accounts by former detainees and recently uncovered CIA and UK Secret Service documents, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. One former detainee alleged he was waterboarded and another described a similar form of water torture, contradicting claims by Bush administration officials that only three men in US custody had been waterboarded.

Photo: A drawing by a Libyan of a 1- by 1-meter box into which he says he was placed during his harsh interrogation by the U.S. in Afghanistan. Image: Human Rights Watch

This is a drawing of a locked box which a Libyan man says U.S. interrogators once stuffed him into. It’s said to be about three feet long on each side. Only once during his two years in detention was the detainee put in the box; his confinement there lasted over an hour. The circles are small holes, into which his interrogators “prodded him with long thin objects.”

It wasn’t the only box that the CIA allegedly placed him inside. Another was a tall, narrow box, less than two feet wide, with handcuffs at the top. The detainee, Mohammed Ahmed Mohammed al-Shoroeiya, says he was placed into that one with his hands elevated and suspended by the handcuffs, for a day and a half, naked, with music blasting into his ears constantly through speakers built into the box. A different detainee describes being placed into a similar box for three days and being left with no choice but to urinate and defecate on himself.

Getting shoved into those boxes was only the start of Shoroeiya’s woes. The CIA would later deliver him and at least four others into the hands of the Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, who further brutalized them for opposing his regime. Accordingly, a new Human Rights Watch report telling the stories of those detainees strips away a euphemism in the war on terrorism: how the CIA says it holds its nose and “works with” unsavory regimes.

CIA spokesperson Jennifer Youngblood said: "It can’t come as a surprise that the Central Intelligence Agency works with foreign governments to help protect our country from terrorism and other deadly threats."

Yet here the CIA is aiding and abetting a brutal dictator in oppressing dissidents against his regime - how is this helping us win the "war on terror"?

The Human Rights Organization has a full report on this here:

Delivered Into Enemy Hands - US-Led Abuse and Rendition of Opponents to Gaddafi’s Libya

Released Sept. 6, 2012.

This might also explain the propaganda war led by the U.S. to demonize Libyan protesters against the Gaddafi regime - the U.S. was complicit in suppressing it, at least until Arab Spring became too large to be ignored or suppressed with such brutal tactics.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't believe your outrage for a second. Once again, it seems you must go back to the Bush admin to see liberals fake outrage over alleged torture. Yet, when do you ever hear them say a peep about renditions and Gitmo still being open? They fell silent the day their guy took office. This is nothing more than another attempt to distract fro the current president by making everyone think Bush is still in office.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

What a cop-out post from you. Deflection and disinfo. This is about the CIA and it's activities. The CIA, if you would have bothered to read the thread, 'rendered' these persons to Gaddafi for torture.

FYI Obama signed an executive order to close Gitmo in January 2009, the same month he came into office. It was blocked by Republicans - who now blame him for "failing to close Gitmo".

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

It makes it real hard for us to pretend we are a just, moral nation when this kind of news comes out. Torture doesn't work and we should be ashamed of ourselves.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Another pathetic attempt, to "justify" NATO using their military to help overthrow Ghaddafi. This thread reads "CIA abused" the guy, where it's really just "intense" isolation. Whereas it reads ".. and further delivered ...", where the OP goes into saying how Ghaddafi was a brutal dictator.

The bottom line in the OP detail is, "CIA made a mistake in supporting Ghaddafi, and then went on a rectified that mistake".

And finally, it's alleged ... by someone who god tortured by CIA and then by Ghaddafi, the brutal dictator and then is obviously writing a book about it. Through the local Human Rights watch, that just conveniently happens to "not see" any violations done in the west.

edit on 10/9/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
OK First off I'm totally against the torture of prisoners but...

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
CIA spokesperson Jennifer Youngblood said: "It can’t come as a surprise that the Central Intelligence Agency works with foreign governments to help protect our country from terrorism and other deadly threats.

Yet here the CIA is aiding and abetting a brutal dictator in oppressing dissidents against his regime - how is this helping us win the "war on terror"?

Was she quoted giving that reply in connection to this article/story or was that taken out of context as usual?

This might also explain the propaganda war led by the U.S. to demonize Libyan protesters against the Gaddafi regime - the U.S. was complicit in suppressing it, at least until Arab Spring became too large to be ignored or suppressed with such brutal tactics.

So let me get this straight...

The U.S. is demonized for supposedly helping the Gaddafi regime against Libyan protesters but are also equally demonized for supposedly helping those very same Libyan protesters against Gaddafi.

I think some are just happy demonizing the U.S. for whatever reason.

Just admit it...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I cannot comment either way on whether or not we helped one side or the other. Simply because I don't know.

What I can comment on is torture. It has happened and the US took part in it.

As an American, I can say that I thought we were supposed to stand for certain moral standards and if we torture people......we can no longer claim any moral superiority.

That's not demonizing, that's the unfortunate truth.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
As an American, I can say that I thought we were supposed to stand for certain moral standards and if we torture people......we can no longer claim any moral superiority.

Two things.

You don't know if we helped either side but are convinced that this story is true? Also I said right off the bat I too am against torture in my first sentence.

That's not demonizing, that's the unfortunate truth.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion on the matter.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something.

Wasit torture to gain information? Or was it torture just to be evil and mean?

Did the information gathered save lives?

Did Obama approve of it like his kill lists, drone attacks?

??????

(this is my curious bunny face)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You don't know if we helped either side but are convinced that this story is true?

Honestly, I don't know if this is true. I do know, and has been confirmed, that the US has engaged in torture. We did it under Bush and I'm sure we are doing it under Obama.

That is what I am speaking to.

It shouldn't matter if we torture this side, or that side. What matters is that we torture people at all.

I hope I am being clear...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

You're being very clear but that doesn't prove THIS allegation is true.
I hope I'm being very clear on that?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
We train our own forces with far more severe methods than those pathetic boxes.We waterboard in SERE type training as well.
Of course none of this is like getting ones head sawed off with a dull knife,or say other asian nations ideas of interrogation which often fail because the querent kills the subject,but for the most part the west are the milquetoast of enemy torturer.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by PvtHudson

What a cop-out post from you. Deflection and disinfo. This is about the CIA and it's activities. The CIA, if you would have bothered to read the thread, 'rendered' these persons to Gaddafi for torture.

FYI Obama signed an executive order to close Gitmo in January 2009, the same month he came into office. It was blocked by Republicans - who now blame him for "failing to close Gitmo".

Absolute, unadulterated lies.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Big deal I was put into a very similair size box while in training in Panama as part of my RRanger training. I am 6' 7'. Those little guys could fit quite fine. What's your point.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You're correct. We cannot prove this particular case is true. In fact, we may never know considering the CIA is involved.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
if true, both sides are guilty and no better then the other which means taking sides is a fruitless endeavour.
torture is wrong, whether for information or being an evil prick.
if we were to ever hold the moral high ground it would never have been an option.

we aren't trying to take the moral high ground, just the high ground. and low ground, and oceans etc..

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
You're correct. We cannot prove this particular case is true. In fact, we may never know considering the CIA is involved.

We can both agree that torture is wrong and I wont argue against the fact that the CIA are and have been involved with cases such as this but here again, there is no way to know if this case is even true or if the CIA were involved.

That's the problem with Blogs as sources. They can creatively write whatever the hell they want and someone will eat it up without being objective.

Such is life.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The Human Rights Organization is not a "blog source". Too bad you couldn't take a minute to actually read the source before rushing in to defend the CIA and it's torture program working in hand with the likes of Gaddafi.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I was waiting for the accusation, yes, I've read it completely it's still simply an accusation. No, I'm not defending the CIA. Too bad you didn't take the time to read my replies.

Fair enough?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
oh please

who cares how they get their information. i can guarantee you if the enemy captured one of ours with info, he will be fed a lot of curry before they video tape them cutting his head off.

and you think a box is inhumane?

i say we let all you feel bad for the terrorists go have a 1 on 1 convo with em and see how you're treated. and no, don't even try to say they are brutal because of what we do, its what they do even when we're not there.

(i wanted to apply to the cia but i don't meet the requirements
)

go america!
edit on 10-9-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join