It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.K.'s Twitter Bullying Craze Heads Down Under.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I was watching the Olympics awhile back and this story just kept popping up about this kid (in the U.K.) who twittered this U.K. diver a few times, basicly giving him a hard time about his performance.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...

Now this was MSM of course and over the course of a few weeks everytime i would catch a glimpse of the story it would seem it got worse and worse, how horrific the tweets were etc. and then it went to changing the laws in the U.K. and bringing in cyber bullying laws.
I remembered something similar in the USA .Obamas cyber bullying summit from earlier in the year.

www.csmonitor.com...

and sherri sheppard's dancing with the stars twitter bullying eppisode.

www.digitalspy.com.au...

Two weeks ago Charlotte Dawson Australian and New Zealand socialite is hospitalised for twitter and cyber bullying.

www.smh.com.au...

Yesterday Robbie Farah Australian NRL star and radio host is cyber / twitter bullied in a sensationalized story that is almost carbon copied to that of Tom Daley from the U.K..

Now the Australian MSM as with the U.K. and U.S.A. is calling for new laws for cyber bullying.

www.couriermail.com.au...

So you be the judge, coincidence or not

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

Two weeks ago Charlotte Dawson Australian and New Zealand socialite is hospitalised for twitter and cyber bullying.

I think it's time she deletes her Twitter account.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are using these incidents to try and censor the internet in various ways. I find some of the bullying to be immature and hateful but it's just the internet and if you are going to create a Twitter account and put yourself out there you should be ready for some criticism, especially if you are famous.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Getting 'bullied' online is avoidable, so I don't see what the problem is. They should either:

1) Delete their accounts
2) Make them private
3) Block trolls and bullies
4) Learn to live with it
5) Get an assistant to reply to fans

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Gotta admit it seems a bit crazy to be hospitalized because of ??? Get over yourself your not special. OK understand

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I think it's time she deletes her Twitter account.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are using these incidents to try and censor the internet in various ways. I find some of the bullying to be immature and hateful but it's just the internet and if you are going to create a Twitter account and put yourself out there you should be ready for some criticism, especially if you are famous.

I whole heartedly agree, it just seems that in these 3 countrys public figures get targeted , a media campaign gets started then a bill or legislation gets started on cyber laws.
now we have all seen in each of our own countrys what happens when certain bills go through, they get ammendments tact onto them. the legal side of this issue i feel is one we should be studying in our respective countrys as well as internationaly.
it all just stood out as a global campaign to me

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow

Getting 'bullied' online is avoidable, so I don't see what the problem is. They should either:

1) Delete their accounts
2) Make them private
3) Block trolls and bullies
4) Learn to live with it
5) Get an assistant to reply to fans

this thread isnt about cyber bullying perse, its about the similaritys between the three countrys in the last 8 months, you did see that didnt you?

join