Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Mysterious Changes in Ocean Salt Spur NASA Expedition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Ice caps are melting and releasing massive amounts of fresh water into the oceans.

Salt extraction farms are mining large quantities of salt from the oceans.

And they need a NASA expedition to explain why ocean salinity is dropping?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic and the information nasa find will be interesting too!

I remember years ago some australian research which found that air pollution from the western world was preventing evaporation of water from the Atlantic, contributing to the lack of rainfall in regions of Africa. From this, you'd logically think that the water would be less salty at the Atlantic. So this new research seems to indicate that either a) evaporation actually occurs at a higher rate in that region, b) salt is drawn to this region or c)salt is being added to this region.

It might be a tenuous link, but perhaps there is a chance that dietary habits are contributing to the salt increase? It does seem that there is more salt in our diets nowadays and it all gets excreted into our water system, unless sewerage treatment involves some kind of desalination. Does it? I have no idea.

Or, perhaps there is a great big monster in the atlantic that is building a weapon of human destruction out of salt. Or perhaps having trouble with sea slugs in it's garden.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Trublbrwing

What "straight answers" are you looking for exactly?

NASA is well suited for Earth studies and has been engaged with them for a while now.

The study this month is being done to help corellate data from the Aquarius satellite (which was launched last year) with detailed on site data.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Of course, there's no point in researching anything about the way our world works, is there?

1. "Global Warming" is increasing due to orbital and gravitational anomalies in the Sun-Earth-Moon system.
Really? What anomalies would those be and how they affect climate?

2. The Greenland ice sheet melted in four days, that ice entered the ocean and froze around the land mass, this indicates the normal "mixing effect" is malfunctioning.
No. A large area of the surface of the Greenland ice sheet experienced some melting over a very short period of time. It also refroze when the high pressure area which warmed the area dissipated.

3. NASA doesn't do "water" so why are they investigating problems below the surface of the ocean?
NASA does Earth sciences.

Either they know and aren't telling us, or they don't know and aren't telling us, in either case they have not earned the peoples trust.
Um. They are telling us they don't know. They are telling us they are trying to learn more.
edit on 9/10/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Phage, what say you about the geomagnetic affects the Sun is having to the solar system and the bodies we call planets? Because I think that applies here too.

I say the magnetic field changes we are talking about on the Sun are causing some internal things to the Earth that are making it more frequent that the Volcano's are awakening, It seems the change of magnetic North is a symptom of something bigger. To me that is the Elephant in the room of all this climate change and man is doing it BS. Pollution of the planet will only kill us not Earth. The roaches and other species will still live here long after we wipe ourselves out. Something big is going on and my guess is the Sun and it is cluing us in. Magnetite deposits says something happens periodically and this may be that part of the cycle where we get to see what happens to the earth during major shifts of the Sun's energy. Too much is being ignored to go 'man is an idiot' well we are anyway, but that is too easy and avoids the critical issues of who is going to get rich off this story?
edit on 11-9-2012 by Justoneman because: edit check

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
reply to post by meticulous

The huge/enormous regions of ocean water filled with PLASTIC GOO might have something to do with this, perhaps? Over the last 50 years (the timeline stated in the arti.cle) we humans have dumped so much plastic into the oceans that has been broken-down into tiny particles that have formed into vast regions of plastic "goo." Surely these regions (some the size of Texas or bigger) have affected evaporation and salt content. Who knows what else has been affected since fish/whales end up consuming this unnatural content. Why should this bother you? Because the food chain has been affected and you are eating plastic that has made its way into the fish you eat. Mix this with oil and corexit dispersent from the Gulf of Mexico which has already made its way into other bodies of water... and essentially when you eat fish, you're eating a chemical/petroleum stew.

If there is such a thing as GAIA (a living Earth, perhaps even sentient) then she is surely wounded and upset.

For those who are interested in plastic GOO:
Garbage Island documentary
Warning! Do not watch with full stomach!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzgul

That is not helping. To top that off we are producing more of this crap. I believe the chemists have changed the formula of plastics so they will bio degrade but we need to recycle the mess in the ocean or find a way to burn it all without putting long chain hydrocarbons out while doing so.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Hmm..I'm going to be frank here, but It's either just me or humans are plain stupid..or, they're really actually trying to kill our wonderful planet.. You can't say otherwise..Look with this BP, took them ages to finally stop it from spewing oil, after that devastated our planet..They use some chemical to help clean it, but yet it makes things worse and kills the ecosystem even more..I swear they really are trying to kill this planet, It's like they're intentionally doing it on purpose to fulfill something, or humans are just plain stupid. I'm actually surprised our planet is still alive after everything we've done to it..Cheers, to mother nature

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Thanks op!

That artcile you linked us to along with this one.... www.dailymail.co.uk...
Makes for a good ELE in the making, but hey let's not be concerned..... Lol....... Nothing to see or experience here.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

These Anomalies......
Those articles have nothing to do with "gravitational anomalies in the Sun-Earth-Moon system". They are about using gravitational measurements to study the melting of ice. When a large mass of ice melts it results in a redistribution of mass. A redistribution of mass reveals itself in minute changes in Earth's gravitational field. Satellites (NASA satellites) can be used to measure those changes.

SOME Melting?
You were talking about the sudden melting of the Greenland ice sheet. Here is what you said:

The Greenland ice sheet melted in four days, that ice entered the ocean and froze around the land mass, this indicates the normal "mixing effect" is malfunctioning.
There was some melting of the Greenland ice sheet over a very large area in June. But you have now changed the subject to the loss of Arctic sea ice. BTW, it was data gathered by NASA satellites which revealed that melting.

They do it poorly.

Really? You realize that the articles you just cited are about science being done by NASA, right? It seems like good science to me. Maybe you could do better?
edit on 9/11/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Phage,

I value your judgement on all things NASA and I rarely see a reason to quibble over your logic. So, please enlighten me on the thoughts that some magnetic affect is playing such a role on the planets that we are seeing things our civilization has never documented before now. Should we not consider the volcanic activity that is shown to be sprouting out of the oceans and certainly above ground too, in the equations? The oceanic vulcanism, driven by the tectonic activity, appears to be a real issue and with magnetic north moving, we may be in for a wild ride on the Earth's crust.

There appears to be more frequent activity of a geological nature like the sulfur smell in SoCal today. Geo activity bears a part in the whole picture and the Sun has been doing some crazy things, I feel your smart enough to agree on that count even if you don't wish to discuss magnetic north moving You may not agree that it affects the inner core of the planets as I feel is shown in the data.

One other thought had occurred to me in this matter of salinity. Water has magnetic properties and perhaps a big magnetic field like Earth, with a moving magnetic pole, might have caused a shift in the patterns to reflect the new concentric rings being given off by the Earth's magnetic field thus changing the ocean circulation patterns.

These things are worthy of study in relation to the climate and tectonic plate movements of all the planets, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Justoneman

So, please enlighten me on the thoughts that some magnetic affect is playing such a role on the planets that we are seeing things our civilization has never documented before now.
What "magnetic affect"? What role on the planets? It's true we are seeing things we haven't seen before but that's because we have tools we didn't have before.

The oceanic vulcanism, driven by the tectonic activity, appears to be a real issue and with magnetic north moving, we may be in for a wild ride on the Earth's crust.
Yes, tectonic activity produces earthquakes and volcanoes but there isn't any indication that these things have changed much. Why would the drift of the magnetic pole produce a wild ride on the Earth's crust?

There appears to be more frequent activity of a geological nature like the sulfur smell in SoCal today.
Not so much geological as biological. It seems that the Salton Sea released a large amount of sulfur dioxide and strong winds spread it over a wide area.

Geo activity bears a part in the whole picture and the Sun has been doing some crazy things,
Other than being relatively quiet what crazy things has the Sun been doing?

Water has magnetic properties and perhaps a big magnetic field like Earth, with a moving magnetic pole, might have caused a shift in the patterns to reflect the new concentric rings being given off by the Earth's magnetic field thus changing the ocean circulation patterns.
The Earth's magnetic field is very weak. Ocean currents are driven by the Earth's rotation (Coriolis effect), tides, temperature and salinity. What new "concentric rings"?

These things are worthy of study in relation to the climate and tectonic plate movements of all the planets, IMHO.

It's pretty difficult to study climate and tectonic activity on other planets.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
hi
In NASA expedition these astronaut were there Suni Williams, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency astronaut Aki Hoshide and Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko, launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan in their Soyuz TMA-05M spacecraft July 14 2012..

Suni Williams and Aki Hoshide (Flight Engineers) completed their second spacewalk
desh me aaj

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, I did not expect you to doubt what your lying eyes have shown you with the Solar flares and giant changes we have seen with our cool gadgets we have placed out in space. Yes, we have better tech but something big is happening to this planet and we have reason to believe the other planets are experiencing major changes too (Jupiter's spot, Storms on Saturn etc..). We can't play Ostrich and do to well if the changes are truly happening as I think they truly are. We have discussed the electric nature of the universe in other threads and I found that an interesting thing to discuss with you.

Ok, so I would agree with you about the Sun if you note that M flares aren't that bad, maybe with a weak planetary field, but X flares are dangerous and those giant rope like features look to be greater features than any we've seen till now. The magnetic field of the Sun is changing, as it normally does in a regular cycle that we have been observing for a long time now. But the thing I am driving at and your apparently not willing or ready to believe is that which was taught to my in school. Solar activity causes changes in the weather of the atmospheric variety and in the weather concerning the tectonic plates and magnetic fields of Earth. Ignoring it won't make it go away and you're awfully quick with the dismissal of that idea. No offense intended but I sure expected you of all people would be more knowledgeable about the magnetic pole moving and what affects that might bring. I appreciate you responding to my earlier questions and would welcome any and all of the debates should we have any others.

BTW,
Thanks for reaching out to find the truth that I have watched you do on this site. Sometimes being the only sense of reason in a field of chicken littles. Trying to find the truth is all we can do and we are all in the same boat of needing to know just what is the truth on so many subjects like the Sun and its affect on the planetary bodies.I obviously do not agree with everything you say and vice-versa. But it is fun reading those threads and brings me back time after time. Take it easy and have a good day!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The changes are because of Fukushima and nuclear waste leaking out.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoltenWater
The changes are because of Fukushima and nuclear waste leaking out.

Ok, that has a possibility of having a major effect, star for the idea.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join