It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic Water Bottles? NO says one Concord, MA Resident!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I don't know if I should laugh or cry here, I really don't. So, while I'm deciding, let me lay out what this is all about and...it may not be what you think or why.

Bans on plastic bags have taken root in communities across the country, but banning the sale of water in plastic bottles? The town of Concord, Mass., is in line to be the first in the nation to do just that, now that the state’s attorney general has signed off. The bottled water industry, for its part, is considering a lawsuit.

My first question is..........so what DO I drink my water in? Plastic is the gift that keeps on giving, indeed. However, aluminum for water doesn't work well. Anyone tried drinking water stored in aluminum cans for an extended period? Makes ya wonder what all is leaching off the metal, doesn't it? How about Glass? Oh...wait, really? Glass? So, I suppose water is just bad altogether, right?

Now, before anyone gets to thinking I'm engaging in drama by saying they must just hate bottled water altogether, lets see what the woman behind this whole thing has to say for herself.

Championed by an 84-year-old resident during a three-year battle, the law bans the sale of single-serving PET water bottles of one liter or less starting on Jan. 1 in Concord, population 18,000.

Jean Hill, the Concord resident behind ban, told The Boston Globe that she was relieved after three years of work.
"I hope other towns will follow,’" Hill said. "I feel bottled water is a waste of money."

Oh the irony isn't just what, but WHERE...as the story goes on to say:

"This ban deprives residents of the option to choose their choice of beverage and visitors, who come to this birthplace of American independence, a basic freedom gifted to them by the actions in this town more than 200 years ago,"

Source

Where the movement for freedom was born, so the move to a Nanny State in all ways would seem solidified. It's the reasoning, as much as anything that floors me. They cite another law for precedent that was passed in relation to reducing solid waste and it dealt with milk dispensed in plastic containers. Even there, it's nanny stating me to death to tell me what I can buy my beverage in, but to cite the logic that she just thinks Bottled Water is a waste of money....so she fought 3 years to BAN IT...tells me some people either live a bit TOO long these days, have far too much time on their hands in that old age or a healthy combination of both.

For some, it may seem reasonable that every issue or dislike another citizen has should be addressed by whatever law that citizen can get rammed through with endless years of pushing. Personally? I don't see much difference between tyranny from 'On-High' and tyranny initiated by the neighborhood busy body. I'll be watching for updates on this as others move to have it struck down and/or repealed outright.

What's next to ban because someone thinks it's stupid or doesn't like it? Yikes!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I watched a documentary a few months back about this issue. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

The Documentary is called "Tapped"

Tapped

Examines the role of the bottled water industry and its effects on our health, climate change, pollution, and our reliance on oil. The documentary is well structured and presents an overwhelming amount of evidence which will change the way anyone thinks about bottled and municipal water.

Both the “manufacture” of the water itself, and also where the bottles come from, where they go after use and how they influence our lives while they’re with us. The willful absence of major companies such as Coke, Pepsi and Nestle is extremely telling in light of all the material presented.

One can only hope that the small voice of this film will be heard over the huge booming commercial machine that these and other companies represent in the popular media. If you haven’t seen this movie, simply watch it. It’s that good and the information is something everyone should know.

Watch the documentary here

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Where the movement for freedom was born, so the move to a Nanny State in all ways would seem solidified.

I don't think freedom was originally envisioned as a blanket excuse for irresponsibility. Humanity needs to reform itself and this seems a positive step.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

What is irresponsibility? Buying a liter bottle of Evian or Aquafina? Isn't that getting just a little extreme in the characterizing of people? She wasn't even suggesting plastic containers in general. Just water bottles below the bulk quantity size.

Now I only buy bottled water these days for disaster stocks but for my years on the truck, bottled water was exclusively what I drank outside of the Soda and water came to replace that in the last couple years. So... In the mind of this 84 year old woman, I should not have been permitted the ability to buy my bottle of water, as a trucker, because she figures Bottled Water in general and specific to that product type, is wrong? Heck..she even got shot down on this once...but I suppose they realized she wasn't going to stop.

It's the seeming need so many now have for telling others how they can, cannot or should live that I've just having all I can take of. The bottled water and in Concord of all places.....wow. I guess anything can be banned by the force of law pretty much anywhere when this carries the day.

This is getting to be a nation I don't even recognize anymore.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A more sensible approach would be to recycle. The bottled water could be sold with a recycle fee or tax.

the reason people are losing their jobs and can't get one is because crazy people who think they have answers, get an audience. By crazy I mean this 80 something women. She does not care about employment

Plenty of ways to recycle plastic

edit on 9-9-2012 by magma because: spell

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

Very fair on your point there...and I've seen a couple shows myself where they pool-test bottled water the same way a water filter salesman pool-tests tap water to sell a filter system. It's always nasty when tested in such clear ways. Indeed... Bottled water turns out to be Municipal tap water run through some filters as often as not.

On the other hand....not all is and really, that's not what has me annoyed on this. If Bottled Water is a problem, as I agree it is in some cases, bust the industry players that are defrauding the consumer. Outlawing the container and then only a certain SIZE and material of container, is absurd and certainly doing nothing to address the issue you raise. Even the argument of plastic as a pollutant falls flat when her own words come into it.

As the story says..this was a one woman crusade, for the most part...so it's fair to take this specific issue in this town by her own words...after all, she apparently was the movement. Oh well

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Decent Axiom:
Life, THEN Liberty, THEN persuit of Happiness. Can be argued against so much plastic, with that.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

I don't think freedom was originally envisioned as a blanket excuse for irresponsibility. Humanity needs to reform itself and this seems a positive step.

I can sympathize with humanity's irresponsibility and need to reform, I can see a thousand examples in one rapid glance. However, banning pint-sized water bottles just doesn't give me warm fuzzies nor satisfy me on any level that with that action we are tackling the human injustices in the world. Quenching my thirst with a palm-size bottle of water leaves me not feeling guilty in the least for contributing to the cause of starving children in Ethiopia nor at fault for big bank rip-off scams.

edit on 10-9-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Many incidents follow in distinction to using tap water. Most of the tap water around the world come from lakes, and rivers where no one gives the appropriate care to monitor, and or filter these areas. I'm not good with numbers but I know a couple thousand have died due to the parasites, sicknesses, and diseases they carry.

bottled water provides extreme safety towards third world countries, having said that this person made a huge mistake by putting everyone's lives in danger. I'm not claiming bottled water is the best choice regarding the fluoride and plastic content that leaks into it, sorry that's a whole different topic, certainly the bottled water would be a better choice for those who lack in healthy water supplies.

Thanks for you time

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
You can get 20 to 55 gallon plastic barrows, hell of a lot more water and much cheaper in the long run.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The part that bothers me has nothing to do with pollution or water quality, it's why this bill was proposed.

"I hope other towns will follow,’" Hill said. "I feel bottled water is a waste of money."
Is that the new standard? A law is passed to prevent people from wasting their money?

Good bye to Mustangs, Cadillacs, and anything other than the tiny Smart cars. Good bye to diamond jewelry. Good bye to, really, anything that you want, but don't absolutely need.

Why can't we get that same principle applied to government purchases and spending.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thank you Charles! My faith in humanity is restored! Well, I'm going a bit over with that, but not by too much. lol.... You hit 100% dead on what had me annoyed enough to share it.

It's bad enough....being told we can't use plastic bags at the grocery because ....well..someone says the bag is so much worse than the other 100's of tons a week of every material imaginable stuffing our landfills. Bad enough shaky logic like that carries new law. I've learned to accept that though...when there is at least logic to it.

This though? Yeah... A new law banning a perfectly legal and harmless item. Bottled water for goodness sake..how much more benign does anything get? Banned...because one individual had enough time to literally harass TPTB into finally passing the ban she's fought through being turned down once on...yet pushed 3 whole years for.

BTW.... All these folks that run around saying we can't do anything need to look at this lady. She did quite a lot with nothing but a bad idea, her free time and the pure stubborn determination to never quit. lol... People power in action.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
While I agree that we use too much plastic (for everything) in this world, not just country, I don't think this woman is right in what she is doing. I think she should have every right to not use water bottles and her movement should be getting people to stop buying them but to all out have a ban in place? That's just not the way things should ever be done. It's equivalent to her saying, "I don't like it, so you can't have it."

Vegetable based "plastic" bottles, minus the petroleum seems promising, though. I don't know how far this is going or how much safer it is, but I do know Pepsi is rolling out product using this material.

Vegetable based plastic water bottles

Bioplastic is a form of plastic made from biomass such as corn starch and vegetable oil. Although it is primarily used as food packaging, it has also been adopted for use in other products such as cell phone casings and carpet fibers. Unlike plastic products made from petroleum oil, plant based bottles and other products made from bioplastic are biodegradable. Specifically, they are created to be compostable and should be put in a compost bin rather than the trash can. This makes them a lot more Earth-friendly than the regular water bottles in use today.

Pepsi's new bottle

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You know, I applaud her efforts to change things around her she thinks are wrong, but this isn't the way to do it. Banning things just because people don't like them never works. I mean look at prohibition: people still drank alcohol, prostitution: people still sell their bodies for sex, drugs: people who want them bad enough will find them.

reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

That sounds like a great idea but I wonder how well that's going to go. I remember, probably a year or two ago, Sun Chips decided to make their bags out of biodegradable plastic. It was a great idea then too but the bags were just horrible
. If you've ever tried to eat a bag of chips while others were sleeping, you know how noisy regular bags can be. The new Sun Chips bags were even louder. As far as water/pop bottles go though, I would think it wouldn't be that bad.

top topics

join